Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jumpy idle on S2 fixed. don't rely on the tps click

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 04:39 PM
944 Fan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Jumpy idle on S2 fixed. don't rely on the tps click

My 91 s2 had a really jumpy idle.

Symptoms: Idled great on coldstartups. Rocksteady idle. After the car would warm up though, the idle would start to fluctuate a little bit. But then when I would turn off the car and go into a store or gas station or something and then come out and start the car back up, the idle would fluctuate hard from 600 up to 1000. Back and forth. It felt like it was going to die. The check engine light would also come on.

Repairs: Initially i thought it was the ICV Idle Control Valve. I removed and replaced it and everything seemed better. Probably because the weather wasn't as cold as before. Couple of weeks went by and then it started to happen again. Idle would fluctuate hard after warm starts, but idled fine on cold starts.

I checked the tps sensor for a click and it checked out fine, so I initially thought it was good. I read some of the posts on this board and I came to the conclusion that my problem was most likely related to the throttle postion sensor even though it had the click.

So moral is, just because you hear a click coming from the tps sensor, doesn't mean it is working properly.

I replaced it a few days ago and the problem has gone away. Idles nice and steady on cold starts and warm starts. Tested it on a few cold nights and everything is perfect.

Thanks Rennlist Board!!! It's great to have a knowledge base to refer to when figuring these types of problems out.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:34 PM
tecart
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the click is only 1/2 of the story, the other half is inside the tps switch, electronics

Quick Reply: Jumpy idle on S2 fixed. don't rely on the tps click