Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody replaced this P/S hose???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:38 PM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anybody replaced this P/S hose???

Name:  PS Pic.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  67.5 KB

#45 in the pic, wondering if it can be done without having to drop major components (crossmenber, etc.)? Looks like it's in there pretty deeply.

I'm in the process of replacing the reservoir and the two hoses that come of it and somehow missed the leak on this one. Would like to do it now as I have the other two removed but I'm in a bit of a time crunch and wouldn't want to get too deep into it if it requires major surgery.

TIA for any advice-
Old 06-21-2009, 11:21 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i imagine you could just pull the rubber part off and replace it- blow compressed air through the cooler while you have it apart- they tend to get junk in there.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:30 PM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Thanks xsboost90, already have the rubber part off (at the cooler) since I'm replacing the hose/pipe with the cooler(#39). I just cant tell if I'll be able to remove the rest of the hose/pipe (#45) from the X member and rack without removing major components.

Anyone else?

TIA-
Old 06-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

On my car I cut the metal line and just past the rubber hose, where the line is small. After cutting the line you can just replace the rubber part. Double clamp the hose on the small line. I did this several years ago and have had no problems.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:01 PM
MadisonT
Track Day

Originally Posted by 951Boost
Thanks xsboost90, already have the rubber part off (at the cooler) since I'm replacing the hose/pipe with the cooler(#39). I just cant tell if I'll be able to remove the rest of the hose/pipe (#45) from the X member and rack without removing major components.

Anyone else?

TIA-
If I remember correctly there are a couple of brackets screwed into the top of the cross member holding it down and that is all.

I removed my PS rack along with that hose attached since the hex bolt on the rack was so stripped I couldn't get it off or get at it with a vice grip.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:42 PM
TexasBlake
Advanced

The rubber part of that hose by the power steering rack is a PITA to get to, especially if you have allen head hollow screw fittings on your rack. If you do, order hex head screw fittings to make your life less complicated whenever you put it back on. On my 951, there is a heat sheild for the motor mount, you remove that, and come at the hollow screw fitting from the access window you have. It's really tight, it sucks, but it's possible. I can't remember if I used a regular allen L wrench or an allen bit on a 3/8" ratchet. If you don't have a set of allen bits, you need to get some anyway. Tons of crap on this car uses allen.

I just replaced mine a few weeks ago. The top of the cross member have some mounts that secure it in place. You'll need to use a wrench on the top and a socket/ratchet on the bottom of these mounts. Pull the line out towards the back of the cross member and down.

The metal part then turns to rubber again up near the front headlight/oil cooler. It mounts to the side of the chassis and hose clamps to the metal barbed fitting on the #39 hose.

How hard was pulling the #39 line? I was worried about the same thing, having to remove many components. However, since the #39 line is mostly steel, I just reclamped it and cleaned it up. I will check it again and see if it leaks. That's the only PS line I didn't replace.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:16 PM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the info guys.

TexasBlake, excellent description of the job and what I thought was going to be the issue with #45, the hollow bolt and yeah mine IS an Allen.

I think for now and to avoid Murphy's Law I'll just do what Charlie suggested. I'll cut off the rubber hose (that connects to #39) and replace it as that is where it's leaking. I'm sure there will be other "while I'm in there" opportunities to do it right and hopefully then I will not be pressed for time.

As far as replacing #39, I'll post back latter when I finish it's replacement. Right now I have it loose from all connections but haven't pulled it out completely.

Two things I have noticed;

1) Be careful with the plastic clips that hold the cooler in place (#41), they break easily. Mine were coated with so much fluid/crud that I just didn't see them.......SNAP!!!

2) Seems like you need to raise the headlamps to snake the line out as the right housing is pretty much pressing against the line when down.

Thanks again-
Old 06-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Use hydraulic hose.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Has anybody replaced this P/S hose???