Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam bolt

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 02:38 PM
sam
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post cam bolt

Well, I took my head over to the local shop for valve job and seals. I also took the cam/tower and intake tubes over to have them clean up the parts. I asked them to pull the gear off for me, and didn't mention how to do it. Well, guess what? They screwed it up.

So, do I remember right? Drill it out, then get on what is left with a vice grips along with a little heat if necessary? Last time I did this, I used heat to loosen the loc tite, and it loosened right up where It was not movable before heat was put on.
Old 07-09-2002, 04:02 PM
Jax951
Racer

I guess that's about all you CAN do! I guess drill the head of the bolt with a bit slightly larger than the bolt until it breaks off. Next pull the cam pulley off. Now that the torque has been released from the bolt I would think it would be pretty easy to unscrew it either by hand or with vicegrips. When I recently pulled mine, it had no thread-lock on it, so I didn't put any on the new bolt that I put back in. Hope that helps a bit.
Old 07-09-2002, 07:31 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Caution: Too much heat can destroy the hardening on the cam lobes and bearing surfaces. My shop was anxious to avoid using any more heat than necessary. Also I had been told on other inquiries that once the bolt head was off it would come right out with the tension off it.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:14 PM
sam
Advanced

Thanks for all the great advice. I ended up drilling it out last night, and when it got to the point where the meat left was thin, it (the bolt head) just popped off. I stuch a flat blade screwdriver in the round hole, and was able to back it out with little to no effort.

This was an e-Bay cam and tower. I fried my original one about 15K ago, so I don't know any of the history if any. It came from Florida, and I suspect it may have been exposed to the weather. It has worked well since then, but I can't seem to get the gear off yet. I soaked it down, and will try again tonight.

Quick Reply: cam bolt