Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche go cart - need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porsche go cart - need ideas

Since there is not a 962 forum I figured I would post this here as my big car is a 44 I am thinking this would be the place to get the most diverse and creative feedback from do it yourselfers. If the mods would rather this be in OT then I apologize in advance...

Bought this Porsche 962 fiberglass go kart body from a guy in Pittsburg last Thursday. Just got it back to Atlanta yesterday. I would really like to modify an older racing go kart chassis (like this one on ebay) to go underneath it and change out the graphics to something flashier like the real car in the last pic. From what I understand these were prizes that were given away at the 1984 Porsche Parade. The original chassis was sold seperatly from the body a number of years ago.

Any input about painting vs vinyl graphics and modding a chassis or building one from sratch would be greatly appreicated. Sure would be fun to mold out some lexan headlight covers too but that would be a big project.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!

Make a mold....then modify for lights and sell one to me!
Old 09-08-2009, 05:41 PM
thewerxracing
Banned

Thats awesome! When its done you should drive it to work.

What? I would.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:52 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.gokart2000.com/classifieds/view-ad-2498.html

shifter cart... put it on a shifter cart setup...

dude, 130MPH?

http://www.gokart2000.com/classifieds/view-ad-2214.html

And to do lexan light covers wouldn't be all that hard... make a negative mold and apply the lexan to the negative mold with a heat gun... then just cut the hole, and fab some brackets to hold the lights... use small round fog lights and I bet it would look to scale...
Old 09-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

How about paint it like the pink 964 pig car (you know the one with all the cuts of meat named on it). That could be cool.

Also very cool purchase.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:22 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

now that you have a good body mould make it in 150% size lol
Old 09-10-2009, 05:53 AM
DANNiE
Instructor

Go with a whole skin sticker... or several large ones... what nice about stickers is they keep the fiber glass together if it cracks and if it gets scratched you can always just peal off a sticer and slap on a new one...

and if you cut the area in the rear out square; im betting you can fit a 600cc motorcycle motor back there..! 155+mph 6-speed..!
Old 09-10-2009, 11:50 AM
IMB951
Drifting

That is so cool, Josh! I will definitely be following the project. Good luck!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:23 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd leave the body like it is.
I would think it's very collectable.

Why don't you throw it on eBay and see if you can
double your money.

Surely not as fun to drive a gokart vs. a car
Old 09-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DANNiE
Go with a whole skin sticker... or several large ones... what nice about stickers is they keep the fiber glass together if it cracks and if it gets scratched you can always just peal off a sticer and slap on a new one...

and if you cut the area in the rear out square; im betting you can fit a 600cc motorcycle motor back there..! 155+mph 6-speed..!
I wonder if a vinyl sign shop would be able to make custom stickers that would conform to the contours of the car?

Originally Posted by PorscheDude1
I'd leave the body like it is.
I would think it's very collectable.

Why don't you throw it on eBay and see if you can
double your money.

Surely not as fun to drive a gokart vs. a car
I know where there is one of these out west in great shape for sale and I saw one advertised in Greensboro, NC last year. I would guess that there might be as few as 15 or so of these across the country. The problem is that it would be very difficult to ship which probably put a damper on the price.

My thoughts were just that I would put a chassis under it with a modest engine so that the little guy could get some fun out of it when he is of age.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice find, Josh!

I'm in the same situation as you with graphics. Here is a site that may help with details on model graphics for the 962.

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2001/.../speedline.htm

I've been trying to find something similar for the 924gt that I could take to a vinyl shop and have them enlarge, but have not had any luck.

If you can find an existing chassis with a matching wheelbase, that would be the easiest route. Do you have any specs on the original chassis with regards to powertrain, brakes, etc?
Old 09-10-2009, 04:30 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Personally to make sure it has enough ***** to haul *** put a 2 stroke motor in there. Use a banshee or an RZ350 motor with a good set of pipes. It will be reliable and make plenty of power to get to high speeds trust me.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:29 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

what motor options are there besides motorcycle engines?
lets say someone wanted enough power to do 30 mph?
would a motor from a riding lawn mower be enough to move you at a good speed?
Old 09-10-2009, 07:30 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Josh, if you decide to build your own chassis please share lots of details.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:57 PM
DANNiE
Instructor

Originally Posted by jtsporsche
what motor options are there besides motorcycle engines?
lets say someone wanted enough power to do 30 mph?
would a motor from a riding lawn mower be enough to move you at a good speed?
A lawnmower Option is not an option when it comes to go karts... Lawnmowers have the shaft coming out the bottom of the motor setup and alot of times the spinning direction is wrong and you have to deal with relocating the fuel tank and the carb wont work right because you have now tilted the motor...

Large CC Chainsaw Engines are OK and so are Large CC Blower Motors the best are Generator Motors They are usally a good size displacement and the out put shaft is a good size to get pullys for... Gas Belt Driven Compressor motors are good too...

But in all honesty the best would be -since he wants to let his son drive it one day- to use a very small displacement dirt bike engine or MC motor... Why..? Because it has a transmission and gear shifting built into it so a clutch or slipper system in the pulleys wont be needed and you can play with and change sprockets between the motor and your drive axles setup graciously...

Also its very easy to put the gas tank setup the motor is designed to sit the way you need it to be... the tricky part is the shifter; however that isnt too hard either... You change the foot shifter to a circle throttle body type circle and run the cables to hand shifter up front so you push it foreward for up gears and down to downshift it would be cool to make a paddle shift setup on the steering wheel but i could never figure out how to get the cables ran without them binding up... I thought of using the "gyro" from a BMX bicycle so maybe you can use two gyros and off set them so one for up and one for down... I think the paddle shifter would be the coolest cause all you have to do is push the clutch pedal and pull the paddles so hands on the wheel all the time...

Just my idea of what a homemade go-kart should be like... a 50cc dirt bike engine would be a decent start... you can always upgrade later if you want more get a big bore kit or swap it for an 80, 125, 200 or 250 in the future...

Just my thoughts... Again its the body that makes it so cool... oh you might wanna trak and make the wheel base as wide as you can... I know a guy here in florida that races go-karts on the pro circuit he makes all the racing brake rotors for go-kart nationwide so I could stop by there and ask him what he thinks of what kinda kart to use under the body... Post some dimensions width length wheel distances etc...

Quick Reply: Porsche go cart - need ideas