Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vario-cam self-destructed this week, what's the car worth as is?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 01:24 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vario-cam self-destructed this week, what's the car worth as is?

The plastic tensioner failed this week and took out the head on our 1990 S2. This was a great running car up to this point. I'm guessing repairs are going to be more than we can afford. Can I get some feedback please on what this car is worth as a parts car? I don't want to part it out myself, just would like to sell the whole thing.

Details: 1990 S2 coupe, 115k, 5-speed, Guards Red, good services history with records, no rust, was a Texas car, now California, just passed smog, interior good, front edges of seats separating just a little otherwise seats, headliner etc very good condition, good clutch/tranny, everything worked on the car including climate control, sunroof and A/C. I would really like to see someone put this car back on the road rather than cannibalize it. Far as I can tell, the body is all original, no signs at all of previous repair, paint is excellent.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:29 PM
krazykarl
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

No vario-cam in the S2, that started in the 968. A replacement head will run you from $800-1200, and labor from a shop is going to be around that as well. As for what it's worth, if the rest of the engine and car are in mechanically good shape it could still be worth a reasonable amount to someone willing to do the work themselves.

EDIT: I should add that if all the failed tensioner resulted in was some busted valves, it could be fixed for less then the $800 of a new head.
EDIT: EDIT: I have used valves out of my cracked S2 head if you need some for replacements.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:51 PM
DANNiE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only 449 S2 Coupes were brought over making the 90 one of the rarest 944s it could be worth quite a bit depending on the M-options it has on it...

I agree with KrazyKarl; if you were to have towed the car into the shop I used to work at; a head swap would run you about 1800-2500... Most likely you bent valves and the head is still good and usable and if anything you will have to spring for a new cam chain tensioner and chain -i would put a new chain- if the timing belt and water pump havent been done in the last 50-80K miles consider doing that too while you have it all apart...

I would say a low $ amount on the car not working is $2500... In excellent working order ie repaired you could yield anywhere from 5-9.5k for the car...

If you call a junk yard though they will most likely give you something like 500-1000 bucks for the car which Im sure any member here would be happy to give you for the car... if you plan to sell it for that little amount you might want to consider donating it to a school or salvation army as a tax write off...

If it goes to a school it will get worked and learned on and never see the road again if it goes to salvation army then it will go to a small auction and most likely end up back on the road again some day soon... You might get a sizable tax write off too...
Old 10-18-2009, 02:00 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fix it.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:32 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ritzblitz
Fix it.
+1, even if just to sell it...
Old 10-18-2009, 02:36 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

It's my understanding the S2 head is a vario-cam head. The tensioner is designed to adjust the cam timing up to 15 degrees if I recall. To my knowledge, there is no significant internal difference between the 944S2 and the 968 motor. On the 968 Porsche changed the intake manifold and make some evolutionary tweaks to get the hp up, but the motors themselves are essentially the same design including displacement and valve actuation.

As far as repairing vs. selling, the car belongs to my daughter and she just doesn't have $1800-2500 dollars to put in the car. I've had the valve cover off and the head is not savable. Where the hydraulic tensioner bolts on is cracked. Best solutions seems a new head or maybe swap motors. If we can't get enough for the car as-is then I guess we'll put the money in it. Here's a pic of the car.
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by prshguy
It's my understanding the S2 head is a vario-cam head. The tensioner is designed to adjust the cam timing up to 15 degrees if I recall. To my knowledge, there is no significant internal difference between the 944S2 and the 968 motor. On the 968 Porsche changed the intake manifold and make some evolutionary tweaks to get the hp up, but the motors themselves are essentially the same design including displacement and valve actuation.
No. The S2 did not have vario-cam. That was first debuted with the 968, read here:

VarioCam

-Rogue
Old 10-18-2009, 03:38 PM
sdstimson
Rennlist Member

PM sent
Old 10-18-2009, 07:21 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

The car appears to be in fantastic shape from that picture. Assuming it looks about the same on the other side then it's worth putting a little money into it for a repair.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:41 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my S2 with this same problem (I knew at the time).
I paid $3500 for it and it cost me $4500 by the time all was said and doner to repair everything (bent valves etc). So I had 8K into it with a completely rebuilt motor. I had 96K miles on it when I bought it.

and like evryone said the S2 does not have the variocam. Thats why the 968 makes about 30 more HP than the S2's..

If you were on the east coast I'd buy it from you...
Old 10-18-2009, 11:50 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by sdstimson
PM sent
Replied, thanks.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:53 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by smlporsche
I bought my S2 with this same problem (I knew at the time).
I paid $3500 for it and it cost me $4500 by the time all was said and doner to repair everything (bent valves etc). So I had 8K into it with a completely rebuilt motor. I had 96K miles on it when I bought it.

and like evryone said the S2 does not have the variocam. Thats why the 968 makes about 30 more HP than the S2's..

If you were on the east coast I'd buy it from you...
This is what kind of worries me, buying parts then finding more stuff. We got this car in July for our daughter who loves 944s and she is broken-hearted. I'm kind of blaming myself because I knew the plastic shoes and the cam tensioner were problematic and should be checked pretty regularly. Had the same thing happen on my last 944 about 10 years ago.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:34 AM
my84-944
Racer

If you are mechanically inclined you can find the parts on-line for a very reasonable price. If she loves the car as much as you say I would fix it. To put it another way: How much money is a good used Honda? - How much better is a good used Porsche? + the cost to fix yours =
Old 10-19-2009, 01:53 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by my84-944
If you are mechanically inclined you can find the parts on-line for a very reasonable price. If she loves the car as much as you say I would fix it. To put it another way: How much money is a good used Honda? - How much better is a good used Porsche? + the cost to fix yours =
If I thought we could do it for a reasonable price I might try it. Besides partsheaven and dc who I expect to be pricey, not sure where else to look.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:57 AM
DANNiE
Instructor

if you can scout the head for a fair price -$400 or less- if its bare you will save at least a grand at the shop... in the shop they take your head off and send it out to be checked and re-valved... but you mentioned yours is cracked...

Im betting if you ask around here or search ebay enough maybe even craigslist you will be able to find a decent core... even bare you have cams and all the other needed parts... a simple head swap should only cost you the price of a head gasket job not sure what the labor hours are on it but im guessing about 800-1250 depending on the shop... also if you find the head buy a brand new cam chain tensioner...

Id hate to see a unhappy porsche lover... so ill keep an eye out for a 16v head in the junk yards when I go since down here the prices tend to be flat rate... Also if you do go to junk yards looking be cautious of the Cash for Clunker Motors they have markings on the motors and such and the motors are trash...

Quick Reply: Vario-cam self-destructed this week, what's the car worth as is?