Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat seal problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 02:56 AM
944S2IFISH2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Thermostat seal problem

In the process of debugging my overheating problem ('90 S2 with 67K and original water pump) I pulled my thermostat and discovered that the thermostat seal (Not the o-ring) had disintegrated. I cleaned out what was left, but the aluminum seat is kind of corroded. The new seal seems like it is too big to fit. Pump and engine are still in the car.

Questions:
Can a new seal be installed while the pump is in the car? HOW?

Could someone explain the function of the small end of the thermostat? Is it just a pressure relief or does it too open with temp?

Could this in any way be related to the overheating?

-TIA-

BTW, This forum is EXCELLENT! With help from the archives I was able to do my clutch last fall with no trouble! Heck, you can hardly see the scar on my finger from pulling the F'n release lever pivot shaft!
Old 03-27-2003, 06:46 PM
Jax951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully I can shed light on your questions:

1) Are you sure you got the whole seal out? Usually it's next to impossible. I basically destroyed the seal to the point where I had to pull the waterpump out. If its all the way out then you should be able to put the new one in there without too much trouble, although you may have to pull out the radiator and fan.

2) The thermostat opens with temp only.

3) I really doubt it unless your thermostat is either a) the wrong way around, or b) non-functional. A bad seal will leak cold coolant past before its supposed to. If anything it would contribute to your car not heating up fast enough...

MJ
Old 03-27-2003, 11:22 PM
944S2IFISH2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks Jax951.
1) I'm sure the seal is out - it was crumbled into little pieces and came out easy. The only part that was difficult was on the OUTSIDE of the lip! It was like bonded to the rim. It took a couple of hours to pick it out piece by piece.

2) Thanks for the info. But... I'm still unsure of how it works. I know that the "plunger" on the big end (Outlet end) opens with temp (82degC IIRC), but does the small end open as well? (Not an idiot - just don't know everything yet!)

3)Wishfull thinking on my part...

Well, since I need to pull the pump to fix the seal, and, since it has 67K (and 13 years) on it, I guess I will just go ahead and replace it with a rebuilt and do the belts/rollers (Belts last done at 38K/Rollers original) while I'm at it.

Quick Reply: Thermostat seal problem