Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of my 89 944 S2 finally

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:28 PM
shawn84&92
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dino, I love the 328, a 308 is on my list of must have cars. I try to do all of own maintenance, does the 328 require a lot of special tools?
Old 12-20-2009, 10:37 PM
luftpirate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a big fan of the lettering on the back. Its the wrong font and its not framed right. Rest of the car looks great, and +1 for Red 944s
Old 12-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by shawn84&92
Dino, I love the 328, a 308 is on my list of must have cars. I try to do all of own maintenance, does the 328 require a lot of special tools?
Hi Shawn,

The 328 is really a blast to drive, and its very different from any Porsches I've driven. But in someways its a little like a late 80s 3.2 Carrera (no power steering, a raw driving experience, and it doesn't have a million save your a$$ computers to do stuff for you).

I don't do the maintenance on the 328. If you have a decent independent then the maintenance costs on 308 or 328s (other than for a major with belts), are not too unreasonable compared to other Fcars. However, there are a lot of nuances that only people who have worked on these cars regularly over the years will know. The few cars that I see owners work on themselves are usually in pretty rough shape. IMHO, if you are comfortable working on Porsches, the learning curve on an F car can be steep and costly if you screw something up. In addition, if you ever decide to sell an F car, people want records and they want to know that the shop your car was serviced at is a respected F car repair facility even if its not a Ferrari dealer.

Your 944S2 is a real beauty and its great to see a 944s going to good homes.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 12-21-2009, 10:13 PM
shawn84&92
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dino,
I see what you mean about maintenance records, I just hate taking my cars to people to work on them. I had a 97 Vette get the rocker panel busted, because the dealer set the lift on the body instead of the lifting point.

I love the 944 and am going to use it as a daily driver hopefuly for the next few years.

I have a 2006 Corvette that I am going to sell and use the payment from it to pay off other things, then the plan is to buy a 308. I am tired of new car depreciation. I thought I just had to have the Vette, but soon afterwards I regretted it. I have had several Vettes, and it is a great car, but it is also going down in value daily. The 308 has been a dream car of mine for a long time, so I hope I can hold out on my two year plan to make it happen.

Here is an old link to my C6 if you guys see anyone interested.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-29-900-a.html

Last edited by shawn84&92; 12-21-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by shawn84&92
Dino,
I see what you mean about maintenance records, I just hate taking my cars to people to work on them. I had a 97 Vette get the rocker panel busted, because the dealer set the lift on the body instead of the lifting point.

I love the 944 and am going to use it as a daily driver hopefuly for the next few years.

I have a 2006 Corvette that I am going to sell and use the payment from it to pay off other things, then the plan is to buy a 308. I am tired of new car depreciation. I thought I just had to have the Vette, but soon afterwards I regretted it. I have had several Vettes, and it is a great car, but it is also going down in value daily. The 308 has been a dream car of mine for a long time, so I hope I can hold out on my two year plan to make it happen.

Here is an old link to my C6 if you guys see anyone interested.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-29-900-a.html
Hi Shawn,

The 944 is a great car and its easy to use for everyday. I had an 85.5 944 na, that I used as a daily driver for roughly 14 years. I let it go mainly because of garage space. A buddy of mine has a beautiful 1990 944S2 coupe black/black with about 50,000 miles that just had a bare metal respray and its spectacular. I'm sure you are really going to have fun with your S2.

As for 308/328s they do feel and drive very differently than Porsches, and a 308 is not going to have any of the low end grunt that your Vette produces. But on winding roads, and in the upper RPM ranges they are really fantastic.

As for service, find out who your local reputable service guys are through ferrarichat.com . Most of the guys that really know 308s/328s left the dealers years ago and have their own indpendent shops. You definitely want someone who knows these cars inside and out to do the work for you. Last year the shop that works on my car was rebuilding part of a Mondial QV engine because a shop that normally works on MBs, BMWs, and Porsche was doing a major service and new belts and they screwed something up, probably timing belt related, and the car then needed new valves and a bunch of other things. It basically got towed directly from the MB/BMW/Porsche shop to the Ferrari service shop. It would have been a lot cheaper for the owner just to bring the car directly to the Ferrari shop rather than bringing it to a closer and less expensive shop, only to have to bring it to a Ferrari shop to redo a bunch of things and to repair the damage.

Besides if resale really matter to you, your better off not doing your own work. In the F car community, if you decide to sell a car, generally buyers deduct the cost of a major with belts on any car that the owner wrenches himself, just because they don't trust the work that you have done or that you haven't "cut corners." Then they usually want to send it to someone with a good reputation in the Fcar service world to get a fresh major and belts.

Best regards, and good luck with your 308 search.
Dino

Quick Reply: Pics of my 89 944 S2 finally