Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944/944S2/968 tool list...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 12:49 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts
Default 944/944S2/968 tool list...

has anyone ever considered starting a tool list for people less mechanically gifted such as myself ? naturally, a complete list that would allow pulling virtually everything from our cars and putting it back together... what led me to ask was that winter isn't a bad time to hit some of the pawn shops for cool tool deals. also considering doing a headlamp project at some point, and i was thinking that it would be cool to know more about the tools required. or cut the cars up into different sections and compile a general tool list and then add special tools, etc.

shown in the photo are Eric K's headlamps.

Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2009, 01:01 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

full sets of metric sockets in deep and shallow size with extensions, a full set of metric wrenches from 7mm-19mm, all sizes of flat and philips screwdriver, and the few "special tools" like the balance belt spanner, a modified wrench for the eccentric rollers should cover you 9 out of 10 times
Old 12-22-2009, 01:05 AM
carreracoupe997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

13mm 3/8 drive swivel socket. One word, Indispensable
Old 12-22-2009, 01:24 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

+13 it covers like 40% of hardware on the car. that and 10mm.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:25 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you hit the Pawn Shops for tools only buy the best. MAC Tools are top rated, Snap-on and any Craftsman from Sears. All these tools can be replaced free of charge if they break. The MAC and Snap-On you have to catch the truck normally at a car dealership as the drivers are Independent Dealers for the respective Brand. Stay away from off brand names and Stanley Tools. Sears has a good selection of tools on sale over the Holidays and only buy when ON SALE. You can check out clark's garage. com and read thru all areas to find the tools most used and write each tool size down. A good set of Screw Drivers and Allen wrenches are needed. A thread gage, so you will know what pitch the thread is and a Drill Bit size gage. A good set of easy outs and a drill electric or battery. The list will build as you work on the car and find out you need another tool.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-ma...ure-index3.htm

http://www.arnnworx.com/Policies1.htm

http://the944.com/main.htm

http://www.texasblake.com/porsche/index.html

Cheers,
Larry
Old 12-22-2009, 08:14 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The tools you will need will of course depend on what you plan on doing. The tools I regularly use are:

garage quality trolley jack (low lift is better) - stay away from cheap trolley jacks - the garage/shop quality ones are more expensive but so much better
4 axle stands
1/2" drive torque wrench
metric combination ring/open spanners (wrenches)
metric box spanners (very useful)
metric 1/2" drive socket set (particularly 13, 17, 19, 22, 24mm) and extensions, universal swivel joint
1/2" drive breaker bar
1/4" drive ratchet wrench (10, 13mm only) and universal swivel joints and extensions for some hard to get to bolts
metric 3/8" drive socket set (not essential - but can be useful for smaller bolts - usually 10mm and 13mm)
metric (in)hex 1/2" drive socket set (4-17mm) (transmission plug, trans to torque tube, cam cover bolts, etc)
8, 10 and 12mm spline/triple square 1/2" drive in-head sockets (for CV joints, flywheel, clutch)
screwdrivers
vernier callipers
oil drain pan
fluorescent/LED work light
electric impact wrench (useful for removing suspension components)

For belt replacement - 27mm thin wrench, flywheel lock, pin wrench, belt tension tool (if not late car), feeler gauges

The above tools cover almost anything you are likely to want to do to the car, unless you plan on an engine rebuild.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

In addition to all of those, I think it's also good to have an assortment of extensions, and a set of those "wobble" extensions that allow you to be about 10 degrees off-axis.

And, I'll add 6mm and 7mm nut drivers for hose clamps; pry bar set; punch set; oil filter socket; gear wrenches (these are super handy!); magnetic pick-up tool; M6 and M8 tap & die; bunch of razor blades; universal extensions; needle nose pliers; good diagonal cutters; quality pair of vice grips; medium size and large size water pump (channel-lock) pliers; wire terminal crimper; 11mm flare nut wrench for brake lines; an impact screwdriver set for changing brake rotors; and an adjustable (crescent) wrench.

And, I want to add to that a multimeter (and you should have the knowledge to check for voltage and continuity - nearly zero Ohms).
Old 12-22-2009, 09:04 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many special use or one time only tools and some testers can be found at your local FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store). Tie rod end removers, coolant pressure testers, more.

Yard sales are as good as pawn shops.

Any internal metric hex, triple square or star drive has to be Space shuttle quality or you are wasting your money and will strip the head.

Get a quality roller tool chest and a 2nd for test equipment and small spare parts--WYAIT (While you are in there) projects.

Here is a really old and out of date Rennlist link. Many others.
http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=us

GL
John_AZ
Old 12-22-2009, 10:50 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I think just about everything was covered in here already that I would suggest. Though IMO I would go larger than 19mm on the wrenches. I bought up to 24mm when I needed to swap out my fuel filter - the 19 I already had in my collection wasn't big enough to grab one of the line nuts. (I don't think I wound up needing the 24, I just bought out what Sears had left in "big" metric sizes because I HATE not having the right tool for the job.)

I'll also suggest you pick up a set of allen *sockets*. Basically a 3/8 drive socket, but with an allen key on the other end. I love these things, use them ALL the time. FAR more handy and easy to use than a package of L-shaped allen keys.

If budget isn't a big concern, just buy two of everything. At least of metric sockets. I have doubles and triples of my most-used tools, because I have a tendency when working on a project to grab, say, the 10mm socket, use it, put it down, then walk over to the bench and need a 10mm again. Constant back and forth. Now I just go grab another 10mm from the box.

I usually just buy Craftsman from Sears. Snap-On stuff is definitely the Porsche of tools, and if I were a professional mechanic, I would have Snap-On. I do have a couple Snap-On ratchets that I've aquired over the years as gifts and they are my absolute favorite to use. In fact if I need a ratchet I will usually search for one of my Snap-On ones instead of just grabbing a Craftsman that's sitting right in front of me. But as for sockets, I just stick with Craftsman.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:49 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

13mm wrench

chain vise grip by Irwin

claw sockets by irwin. (for removing stripped hex bolts like oil drain plug)

small electric impact driver with 1/2" drive adapter

Hammer
Old 12-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

The one BIG thing we all want, but few can afford, is our own complete car lift in our garage. It runs around $4K, so I guess I'll have to stick with two shop floor jacks and 4 jack stands.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 12-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Larry, used lifts can easily be had for $1k to $1,500. In my opinion, some of the very best money you can spend.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:05 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

thanks a lot you all.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:26 AM
aben8057
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I can say is the 951 will make use of every tool in your toolbox. I had to go out and buy tools that I never knew existed.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

I might have missed it but a good breaker bar is always worth having. For those who don't know, a breaker bar is usually at least 18" long and has a 1/2" drive (or larger) swivel fitting on the end. It's good for things where you can't easily fit an impact wrench and really need to apply serious torque (for example, the front crankshaft bolt).

Quick Reply: 944/944S2/968 tool list...