Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sudden 944 driveline failure - transaxle, or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 02:02 PM
DANNiE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by colin944
Trans is easy to change by yourself you only need basic tools a pair of axle stands and a trolly jack.IF you can get someone to help you should do it in a couple of hours,even then you will have time for a couple of beers as you go.
Its not that easy... LoL now if the spare tire well was not there or if they had notched it in a way that the tranny would clear it then it would be an easy job...
Old 01-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lovemyp-car
you must do a helluva lot of burnouts then...because i'm on the stock n/a trans that has 217,000 miles on it, the last 3000 of that with 350+ hp and probably 375 lbft of torque...and i have done several burnouts. Maybe my tires are getting old and don't stick as well, but the trans seems to shift smooth (except 1st to second) every day...do you think there were other things contributing to the destruction of your transmissions?

to the o.p. where are you? i have a spare trans that i could sell cheap, still need to pull it from the parts car, so it may be late february...would you be interested and are you close by?
Youre on borrowed time my friend
Old 01-26-2010, 03:51 PM
gugliotta
6th Gear

Originally Posted by colin944
Trans is easy to change by yourself you only need basic tools a pair of axle stands and a trolly jack.IF you can get someone to help you should do it in a couple of hours,even then you will have time for a couple of beers as you go.
The car's parked on a public street - I'd rather not crawl underneath and try to swap a transmission with cars speeding past. If it's really that quick a job, I'd prefer to pay for a mechanic to do it.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:34 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tifosiman
The planets must be aligning perfectly for you then.

I've blown more N/A ring and pinions than Rock and I don't drive like an *** at all. As I've covered in various posts before, N/A transaxles are inherently weak and are further compromised by many issues that creep up over time. I won't go and re-hash all of the issues but feel free to look them up.

In my case the contributing issues were (more than likely) autocrossing on fat, sticky tires. The dynamic load changes were just too much for the r&p.

You may disagree with me but you are driving on borrowed time with that N/A trans and that much HP. I'd replace it while you can still sell it, otherwise it will just end up being scrap when it blows.....

To the original poster in this thread, the r&p sounds like its definitely blown. N/A transaxles are fairly cheap. Look for a 88 or 89 model if possible, in my opinion they are stronger and less prone to failure.
Oh i definitely know i'm on borrowed time, i drive pretty granny-like most of the time, but i can very easily step the rear out if i'm not careful...i'll be honest, it's happened a few times . I have several extra transmissions, i'm going to try to sell one or two to buy a turbo trans...that's the first thing i'm doing this summer once i have some steady income, then come the fat sticky tires

on another note, how much do you think a high miles n/a trans is worth? i'm reluctant to try to save it considering the miles and that my second gear sync's are digging themselves a grave...

gugliotta...where are you located? i imagine there's someone on this list with a spare trans that might be willing to do the work for you...if you're close i could probably do it over my spring break.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:46 PM
gugliotta
6th Gear

Originally Posted by lovemyp-car
gugliotta...where are you located? i imagine there's someone on this list with a spare trans that might be willing to do the work for you...if you're close i could probably do it over my spring break.
I'm in Atlanta. There are a couple used transaxles for sale on Craigslist, and the prices aren't bad - I may just go with one of those.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:32 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd say that'd be a good idea...since you don't have the means to do the work yourself (i'm assuming, is this correct?) it shouldn't be too expensive to have someone put in a trans if you supply the parts
Old 01-26-2010, 10:32 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

send me an email and I will hook you up with a racer dude who might be able to help. Marietta/Alpharetta area. cclarkin@bellsouth.net
Old 01-30-2010, 02:54 PM
gugliotta
6th Gear

Originally Posted by chrisc
send me an email and I will hook you up with a racer dude who might be able to help. Marietta/Alpharetta area. cclarkin@bellsouth.net
I'll do that. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Sudden 944 driveline failure - transaxle, or something else?