Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

April 2010 Excellence

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:43 AM
threedspeed
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Care to share what the magazine said for 1990 S2 Cabriolet pricing? just curious.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:30 AM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say be happy with what you have....My car is paid off, unique, sorted, good on gas and really fun to drive. There is really not much more I need from a vehicle. I think, at this price point, it's the best deal you can get.

FWIW....last week, some guy told told me it was his dream car. Porsche's are funny like that....it's all comparative analysis. The guy driving a $20k Toyota 4dr stares and wishes...bizarre.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:02 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Well said BlackOp.

I suspect that our cars are in for a fairly long down-trend in price. The profusion of cheap 996's and boxsters is killing pricing for people who want anything but a track car.

Heck....even for a track car....if you've got the $ for a dedicated one.....a cheap 996 is not a bad option.

THere are pretty nice 996's around for less than $20k now and good used boxsters go for $10k and up....which has to have narrowed the bandwidth on who might want our cars for much above $7k almost regardless of model and year.

If I had $7k and was shopping for a cheap porsche and saw a 944 for sale....unless I knew something about 944's I might just decide to save up another $3k to $5k and look for a boxster instead.

Our cars are unique and in many ways....if well sorted and then maintained....they are gems and superb values in today's economy.

Where else can you find a car that can handle like ours, has timeless looks and german engineering such as ours...has relatively inexpensive and bountiful used parts, gets mid 20's mpg on the highway and is so much FUN TO DRIVE......all for way less than $10k.

Heck...let's keep all this a secret and continue to enjoy our cars !

Just don't expect them to MAKE you any money !
Old 02-07-2010, 09:16 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first Porsche was a 1983 944 and I had more fun in that car than twenty others. People would never believe that my car had a 4 cylinder engine and could haul *** and handle like it was on rails. There were times when I thought I exceeded the cars capabilities only to learn that the car had plenty left, it was the driver that had much more to learn. I learned a tremendous amount from my first Porsche and have been hooked every since. I never cared about my return then and still don't today. What I do know is that we own or aspire to own very special cars and get the opportunity to meet some great people along the way.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:56 AM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the 83 is a great car. I know a lot of people do not like the inteior but I think it matches the scheme of the car. I love the feeling of no power steering as it gives it more of race car feel.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:30 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J Berk
Well said BlackOp.
Where else can you find a car that can handle like ours, has timeless looks and german engineering such as ours...has relatively inexpensive and bountiful used parts, gets mid 20's mpg on the highway and is so much FUN TO DRIVE......all for way less than $10k.

Heck...let's keep all this a secret and continue to enjoy our cars !

Just don't expect them to MAKE you any money !
It really comes down to what you expect. I know every time I'm in mine, it demands my attention. I look forward to driving it. How many people can say that about about a $8k car (what I've put into mine)? It's also turned into a part-time hobby. There are a lot of things that come with owning these besides resale value. It's probably the best purchase that I've ever made. I dont plan on selling it...and dont care if it's not a 911. This is the car I wanted...and dont pretend it's something it's not
Old 02-07-2010, 02:08 PM
art
Pro

One thing a 944 will have in its favor is lack of emission testing in most states. They run clean, but not having to test is a bonus. Also allows mods if so desired. More space then a 911 or boxster. Lower taxes, insurance, etc. As a fun and practical car, hard to beat.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:17 AM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by saifhaq
I think the values of the e28 M5 and the e30 M3 bottomed out in 97/98 and have be steadily rising since then. The newer ones do depreciate quite quickly though.
Tell me about it. I bought mine to keep forever, though, so it's not that big a deal.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:23 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveFromNY
It could always be worse guys. I'm pretty sure that on a quiet night I can stand in my garage and if I listen very carefully, I can HEAR my 430 depreciating.
Funny, but I can't decide if I'm laughing with or at you.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:48 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

you know it's interesting, i found myself talking with my mom this morning(not really a car person, and despises my 944). in 2008 i bought a second set of sway bars(from a rennlist member) for 100 bucks, not bad in my mind. I've not gotten around to installing them with other more important things to do with the car, so they sit in my closet. my mom asked why i bought them, i simply said it's a Porsche 944 thing, 100 bucks is nothing for something that can make one of the best handling cars of all time even better. she didn't understand the concept, she asked why i didn't just buy a better version? simple, i didn't want it, i wanted a car that got me to and from work daily, got decent gas mileage and was a **** tonne of fun on a back road. her response, i shoulda gotten a Honda civic. i stopped there, it wasn't going to go anywhere good.

bottom line, we all buy our cars for a specific set of reasons, weather it's a civic for commuting or a F/430 for track and weekend use. the 944(especially the 951) is perhaps one of the best bang for the bucks out there for the type of car it truely is. it's not a supercar, but it's not a econo-box, it's a very capable sports car.

i wash my car, i still stare at it with a smile on my face, and know the next time i drive it, that smile is going to be there. it's a car that makes me happy.

the boxster i cool and all, but a 951 is cheaper and more powerful than a 97-02 boxster, some by 50hp...hell an 89 951 has more power than an 03 Boxster S, and it's till cheaper. the 996's idk wtf happened there, just i think too many engine issues in 99, and too many produced. it's a 911, it's the Porsche dream car, that can be obtained relatively easily, it's the classic porsche. the 996 appealed to more people, it had become civilized, with water cooling, awd as an option, good air conditioning, quite, but still gave that classic look.

a book i own states, the 996 became a yuppie car, anyone could drive it, prior to the 996 it was a love affair for a person to want to buy a rude and crude, basic 911. with em being air cooled(loader), a/c that didn't work as well as another car's...basically the 996 could be driven the 993 and older had to be driven, but attention had to be paid to what you were doing, there were no electronic nannies.

i still think to this day, the carrera name badge should be removed from the 911 series except for on the gt3, remove the gt3 nameplate. have the base 911 be a 911, the CS be a 911 S, and the turbo's be 911 T. leave the gt2 nameplate or call it the carrera rsr, the gt3 rs called a carrera rs. the nameplate carrera as any of you know is a specialty to porsche, the 356 carrera, the 550 carrera, the 1973 911 carrera, the gt, and the 924 carrera, all sought after limited production Porsches at the top of the pyramid. now for 78G i can buy a carrera that's actually far from the top model. Porsche needs to find it roots.....Way off topic

944's have classic looks too, that i think may help them in the future years with value. from what i understand the value on 1980-81 924 turbo's have started to go back up in value. i think the first 944's to see a rise in value will be a 951 89+ or an 88 951 S, then the 951 86-88, then s2, then 8v(if at all). 968's will probably gain sooner being they are kinda rare.

Quick Reply: April 2010 Excellence