Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran out of gas.. with 5 gallons left in tank?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:30 AM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ran out of gas.. with 5 gallons left in tank?

Last night I went to start my car, and it started, stumbled, and died, several times. I called a friend who came and topped me up with an extra 1/2 gallon, after which it started nicely. I drove it to the station, and filled it to the brim, and only 16 gallons went in. This is an 87 with the 21 gallon tank.

Obviously, something is wrong. Who has theories or experience? Personally, I am wondering if there is some pick up tube that is cracked partway down, but I have never examined the fuel tank plumbing.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:57 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was the car parked on a slant? ie, angled enough to keep fuel from being at the pick up point so that once the extra 1/2 gallon went in, it was enough? I've had similar starvation problems with other cars once I get under 1/4 tank.. especially under high g loads that pushed the fuel away from the pickup.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:18 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Couple things come to mind. There is a filter sock on the outlet, it could be adding more gas knocked the dirt off it so it could flow again. It could also be coincidence, and your fuel pump is dying.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

not vented properly?

So there is low air pressure in the tank at 5 gallons that prevents the fuel pump from delivering enough to the engine?

After you get down to 5 gallons, take off the cap and listen to see if you hear a vacuum sucking - like opening a jar of peanuts. If you do, then put the cap back on... now that it's equalized, you'll get to use the remaining 5 gallons. (or you might need a new cap...)
Old 03-23-2010, 12:43 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
not vented properly?

So there is low air pressure in the tank at 5 gallons that prevents the fuel pump from delivering enough to the engine?

After you get down to 5 gallons, take off the cap and listen to see if you hear a vacuum sucking - like opening a jar of peanuts. If you do, then put the cap back on... now that it's equalized, you'll get to use the remaining 5 gallons. (or you might need a new cap...)
There would have to be major problems with the evaporative emissions system for it to get a vacuum -- it hasn't been plugged has it?
Old 03-23-2010, 06:25 AM
joonas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by patrat
Last night I went to start my car, and it started, stumbled, and died, several times. I called a friend who came and topped me up with an extra 1/2 gallon, after which it started nicely. I drove it to the station, and filled it to the brim, and only 16 gallons went in. This is an 87 with the 21 gallon tank.

Obviously, something is wrong. Who has theories or experience? Personally, I am wondering if there is some pick up tube that is cracked partway down, but I have never examined the fuel tank plumbing.
Was the fuel reserve warning light on?

I made stupid mistake and plugged the tank ventilation tube. As a result the tank is deformed and fuel reserve light does not work any more.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:39 AM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not messed with the fuel system what so ever, so chances are slim on the evap system being blocked. I will try and listen for a pressure equalization next time I refill.

The car was parked level. No fuel reserve light, and the gauge read appropriately for there being ~5 gallons left.

Perhaps it is electrical... but I hope not. Might be time to start carrying a DME relay?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:51 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a link that may help.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...er_replace.htm

For early cars:
http://www.924.org/techsection/technical.htm

Disconnect the battery to make sure of no sparks.
Clean the wire contacts first.

What I found on mine was the top blade connection was not making contact with the sensor wire inside. The fastener connecting the upper and lower parts had becone corroded and slightly loose. I tried contact cleaner and finally was able to pinch the fastener tighter.

GL
John_AZ

Quick Reply: Ran out of gas.. with 5 gallons left in tank?