Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 S2, dead cylinder, sell as is??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shawn84&92
I am quite capable of doing the job, but I dont want to buy the $600 tensioning tool.
There are other options than buying the special tool. Actually, your S2 has an autotensioner, which means that (strictly speaking) you don't need any special tensioning tool at all... the autotensioner should set the belt to the correct tension.

It's good to do a few sanity checks to make sure the autotensioner has done it's job correctly, but when I checked my belt with a gauge after letting the autotensioner do its thing, it was so close, that I didn't feel the need to tweak it further. So, while perhaps not ideal, it's certainly reasonable to proceed this way.

Read the factory workshop manual on the procedure if you are uncertain how the autotensioner works.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Update: Nov/Dec 2010

Not to worry. This car has gone to a good home.

I expect to have the head off by the end of the year and a plan in place to fix the problem. At this point I have not found the root cause of the dead #2 cylinder.

Here is a shot of Shawn saying goodbye to his car...

Thanks Shawn. I'll update as progress is made.
Attached Images  
Old 12-25-2010, 02:51 PM
shawn84&92
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious about the dead cylinder.
I thought valve spring, have you gotten that far yet?
Good luck with it.

If you don't know him, Scott is a first class guy, it was great dealing with him.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

I have the intake manifold and fuel rail off. I still have to get the cams out and pull the head. So far, I have not discovered the problem. It will take one or two more days of serious work to get there. I'll get there...
Old 01-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Update: I got the head off today. Took a little longer than I had hoped to get to this point - but at least I know what the problem is.

Everything was ready for the head to come out on New Years Day....except the header pipe flange bolts. A lot of work went into getting to that point, I just couldn't get to that last bit. I had hoped the header pipes could be pulled away from the studs on the head enough to lift the head off. No dice. They're too tight to the frame rail.

So today I fired up the torpedo heater and got the garage up to about 45 degrees from the 15 ambient. The flange bolts came out with little resistance. The hard part was getting my fat hands and the wrench up top to hold the bolts while turning the nuts from below. Got everything out without serious loss of blood and surprisingly little swearing.

It took a few tries to finally get the head to lift off the studs. I think the threaded ends were finding edges to bite into and giving the impression there was still something left that needed to be undone. No - it lifted off and I slid it out and found a place to set it. I took a look at the top of piston #2 hoping I would not be looking through a hole into the crankcase.

No. No hole. The piston looked good. A little cleaner than the others as it has not been fostering any combustion for a little while. So this is good. At least the problem has been isolated to the head.

I flipped the head over and saw a slight opening of the rearward intake valve on #2. Pushing down on the tappet for that valve revealed little resistance to open the valve. It is clear that at least one of the springs is likely broken. There is not enough tension to keep the valve closed, but it is also not loose enough to have been hit by the piston. This is probably one of the best scenarios possible.

Will call my engine shop tomorrow. Not sure if they are honoring MLK day. As I have the day off - it will be a perfect opportunity to spend some time going over the rebuild strategy with the boss.

Now that I know what's wrong, I'll be ording parts from Paragon (etc.) and cleaning up a few other issues while the head gets a thorough going through.

So it's great news and the rest should fall into place nicely now that the hard work is out of the way. I'll post a few pics soon.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 01-17-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Dean924s
Instructor

You should be good to go!!!! Congrats on saving another one!!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 10:55 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I WAS CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great news, this is exactly what happened to my friends car and what I stated it sounded like all along. BTW, this could have been fixed with the head on, however you did it the better way (to freshen everything else at the same time). Good luck,
Old 01-16-2011, 11:46 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

very cool!
Old 01-17-2011, 04:54 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Not to worry. This car has gone to a good home.

I expect to have the head off by the end of the year and a plan in place to fix the problem. At this point I have not found the root cause of the dead #2 cylinder.

Here is a shot of Shawn saying goodbye to his car...

Thanks Shawn. I'll update as progress is made.
Clean looking car, nice!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

It is clean. It's a solid car and well worth saving.

Thanks to Shawn for his patience to stick with me until I could make the trip to collect the car. He's got a lot of cool cars he's working on. I know how things can get with too many projects. This was a project I was willing to take on with a certain priority. It still has a long way to go, but the biggest issue has been diagnosed and the head is at the shop at this moment.

There's a lot of clean up of the engine bay and some work to be done to get the accessory drive belts driven the way they were designed to be driven.

In the meantime, here are a few shots...

These are just after getting the car to its new home in Michigan.
Attached Images   
Old 01-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Here are some shots of the engine bay, the piston bores and one of finger pressure opening the #2b intake valve...
Attached Images    
Old 02-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Went by the engine shop yesterday to drop off the new valve springs and valve stem seals. Got most of the parts of the broken springs for my collection.

The larger spring broke into at least three pieces and the smaller one into at least two pieces. Here is what we found without taking too much time...
Attached Images    
Old 02-02-2011, 09:44 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Good luck with the rebuild, I was wanting to buy this car as well. I pm'd him and he never got back to me.

I am very glad someone is fixing it up and returning it to the road.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Cochezz
Instructor

I tought these motors were an open deck design?

Looking at those pics that in not the case with this one?
Old 02-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the head gasket is still in place which covers the most of the open deck area. Good luck with the rebuild. It looks like you got a fine deal.

Quick Reply: 89 S2, dead cylinder, sell as is??