Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Washer Tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 06:17 PM
RJB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Windshield Washer Tank

This may be very simple, but I am looking for a way to clean the windshield washer reservoir without having to remove it. There is some type of slime down deep in the tank - I assume from the PO leaving washer fluid in there too long. I have siphoned off the old fluid, attempted to flush it with clear water, and then filled it up with new fluid, however, the slime returned.

If I have to remove it from the car, then so be it, but I was hoping that there was an easier way.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:34 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bleach - dilute 1/4 with water, let sit overnight, spray to overfill out until all is clear. Much easier with it out, as you can shake it. But, it's a real PITA to get out.

Good Luck!
Old 04-23-2003, 11:57 AM
RJB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Skip,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it tonight and let everyone know how it works. It looked like a PITA to remove it.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:24 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Actually, I just remembered that I used CLR with better results more recently. Either will work - be sure whatever you use is completely gone before using again.

CLR works pretty good to clean the coolant expansion tank also.

Skip
Old 04-23-2003, 02:30 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Don't mean to hijack this post but my washers don't work.

What is everyone's suggestion as the most likely cause? No wax build up in the spray tips. Can't remember if I hear the pump working when I attempted to use them. Will it make audible noise?

How much for a new pump/where to buy and the hassle factor if I do need a new one?
Old 04-23-2003, 02:57 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

First, check to see that if the pump is working. It is audible. If not, check the connections and fuse. If yes, you probably need to prime the pump. When I was a kid, I ate dirt... so, I pull the hose to the anti-siphon valve off and suck - maybe while running the pump too. Works like a charm - don't swallow!

Now, if the pump is bad... let's see... looking... holy cra... uh, ~$40 - yeesh!

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Windshield Washer Tank