Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my first oil change, what a mess, better way?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:55 AM
James Chimney
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my first oil change, what a mess, better way?

Ok on my 85.5 na 944, I bought the Mahle oil filter, 7 qt of Mobil 1 10-40 and set to work, had to jack up the car and go under from the front to get at the drain plug but got it lose, dropped the car back down and then from the passenger side wheel well unscrewed drain plug with a socket and extension until it drained completely, then jacked it backup and put plug (and new washer) back (no problems).
Now for the filter, got it lose and unscrewed it as I did was very carful to make sure the drip would be over the drain pan (it still got on every thing, hoses, belts, power steering pump, sway bar) whole job would have taken me less than 1 hour but spent at least one hour wiping up the oil from under the car. then only took 5 and 3/4 qt's of oil? (will re check it after next ride)
so is there a better way to keep the oil from getting on every thing under the filter? Maybe a tin foil cover under the filter or some thing? that is what I did on my motor cycle to keep the oil off the header when changing oil filter.
any ideas? or just invest in lots of kitty litter?
Old 05-23-2010, 11:57 AM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Bag trick.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:34 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Did you remove the belly pan ,if not oil from the filter has no place to go & will end up all over the place ________ advice next time buy your oil & filter get it to a shop where they have a hoist if you get oil splash they can wash it off ,will save you lot of trouble & it want cost you a fortune, that how I did it on my 944 & never end up with a mess.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:42 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

6 quarts with a filter change.

Pack the underside of filter with many rags. Take a screwdriver and punch a hole in the bottom of the old filter--this will drain a little more oil.

Drop the belly pan like earnie posted.

Keep track of new oil leaks from the steering rack, PS pump, lower belt covers by crank and rear engine leaks. These will be your next projects.

Did the PO use a synthetic?

GL
John

Last edited by John_AZ; 05-23-2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: bottom
Old 05-23-2010, 07:05 PM
James Chimney
Pro

My car did not come with a bely pan, I will try the hole in the top of the filter and rages all around and yes the Po did you Mobil 1 10-40 would there be a problem using it if he did not (10900 miles on the car) or going back to regular 10-40?
Old 05-23-2010, 07:16 PM
John_AZ
Rennlist Member

If the car has 109,000K miles and was using a conventional/regular oil, sometimes the syntetic causes leaks in the seals. If the PO has been using Mobil 1, keep it in.

John
Old 05-23-2010, 07:29 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John_AZ
6 quarts with a filter change.

Pack the underside of filter with many rags. Take a screwdriver and punch a hole in the top of the old filter--this will drain a little more oil.

Drop the belly pan like earnie posted.

Keep track of new oil leaks from the steering rack, PS pump, lower belt covers by crank and rear engine leaks. These will be your next projects.

Did the PO use a synthetic?

GL
John
I'm not sure why, but there seems to be some disagreement on this.... or some oil pans are different. My car also takes 7qts to go to the full mark (with new filter). I know there are others here in RL that use 7qts.

The bag trick never worked for me. I just waste half a roll of paper towels. Stuff them all under the filter and between the header/block. Never have a mess other than oil soaked paper towels.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:05 PM
jem60
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I buy a can of brake clean when I do the oil change and then spray down the side of the motor after an oil change. Seems to have kept my cars fairly oil free. Also, you might want to consider either 0-40 or 15-50 mobil one as both have more zddp than the 10-40. I've used both, 15-50 for track car and 0-40 for the other.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:20 PM
John_AZ
Rennlist Member

m73m95-Mark,

I should have said 6 liters of oil.

I never paid close attention to the oil dip stick marks and just checked both cars. 6 quarts of oil and new Mahle filter installed on both.

The '88 shows full to top mark on the stick.
The '87 shows oil to second mark on the stick--different style oil dip stick---probably would accept one more quart of oil. I always assumed the second mark meant full.

Interesting...

The WSM says oil capacity 6 liters.

John
Old 05-23-2010, 09:33 PM
968rz
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure if the filter on the 944 is upside down in the front like my 968 but if it is; poke a hole in the filter bottom and wait about 5-10 minutes. The filter will drain out in to the oil pan, no mess.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:37 PM
ScottOgle
Instructor

Well, who ever designed the oil/filter system on the 944 quit Porsche and got a job at VW. When I changed the oil in my VW R32 I had three places to drain oil from and it was a holy mess.

Onto the 944, everything everybody said pretty much is the truth. The 2.5 liter engines are easier as you can reach in and get the filter by hand; that was fine on my 924S. The 3.0 engines offer very little space to grab the filter, especially when it's wrapped in shop rags. On my S2 I dropped the oil filter and spent the next hour wiping down the whole right side of the engine and the belts....

Scott
Old 05-23-2010, 10:45 PM
luftpirate
Pro

Originally Posted by ScottOgle
Well, who ever designed the oil/filter system on the 944 quit Porsche and got a job at VW. When I changed the oil in my VW R32 I had three places to drain oil from and it was a holy mess.

Onto the 944, everything everybody said pretty much is the truth. The 2.5 liter engines are easier as you can reach in and get the filter by hand; that was fine on my 924S. The 3.0 engines offer very little space to grab the filter, especially when it's wrapped in shop rags. On my S2 I dropped the oil filter and spent the next hour wiping down the whole right side of the engine and the belts....

Scott
I concur, I have done a few oil changes for friends with VWs and it is an absolute nightmare. Esp. on the new rabbit. The 944 is really not that bad w/out the belly pan, after you drain the oil, just set an old rimmed cookie sheet under the filter area when you take it off.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:45 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a canton oil filter, no more mess.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:22 PM
dinodanny
Advanced

Make sure you're buying a filter with a one way valve that doesn't let the oil run out when you remove it. You'll get a few drips but that's about it. These filters also keep the filter full so that its not empty on start up. I can check the brand that I use and post it later.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Sour Kraut's 951
Racer

Originally Posted by dinodanny
Make sure you're buying a filter with a one way valve that doesn't let the oil run out when you remove it. You'll get a few drips but that's about it. These filters also keep the filter full so that its not empty on start up. I can check the brand that I use and post it later.
Does the 142 filter have the one way valve? I was thinking about using OEM filters, but if there is a better one? I have not joined the ranks of experienced 951 oil changers yet, so this thread is most useful for me. Thanks all.

Quick Reply: my first oil change, what a mess, better way?