Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: rubber or spring center clutches
rubber
9.38%
spring
90.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

rubber or spring clutch.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:41 AM
1303RS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubber or spring clutch.....

So now that I have removed the bad rubber clutch, I need to order a new one. What is your preference? Just cus I wanna know, Do you like rubber clutches or the spring center.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:57 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think they make the old rubber centered clutches anymore. There is no practical reason the 944 clutch should cost as much as it does except it starts out Porsche. I've heard of people putting in a Ford Ranger clutch and others to save some money. Maybe someone that has done the job will chime in and tell us just which one will work, so we all can save some money.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 06-29-2010, 05:23 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

This is the thread on what clutches will work (it's a lot of crap to read through, sorry)
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...expensive.html

In the end, the simplest option is to have your old spring clutch relined at a clutch shop for $80.

I have a good used rubber clutch, let me know if you're interested.

I prefer the spring, only because it can be refurbished, but the rubber one does engage smoother.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:14 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Umm... you had to replace the rubber center clutch because the rubber failed!!!

Insanity is doing the same thing over and expecting different results. You should be smarter than that.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:27 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

I just did my clutch, and for the price/availability, it was a no brainer to switch to the spring style.

As a note to anyone with the rubber style, when the rubber fails, you get this "clunking" sound when you let out the clutch, if you drive it gently (slip the clutch slightly), it works just fine. As for the safety "Pins" or limp home safety feature. When I actually looked at that part, it is pretty beefy. Had I known this from the start, I would not have been so quick to change it. It looks plenty strong enough for simply cruising around.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

When mine failed, rubber bits got stuck in the fingers of the pressure plate, preventing me from disengaging the clutch. That's kind of scary feeling when you're coming to a stop light and the car doesn't want to stop.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:30 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Umm... you had to replace the rubber center clutch because the rubber failed!!!

Insanity is doing the same thing over and expecting different results. You should be smarter than that.
+1

and replace the RMS-Elring is the best

John
Old 06-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

But see, if you go with a spring center clutch you miss out on the benefits of a rubber-center clutch. Such as ...............
OK, so there are no benefits.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:01 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR8ED
....As for the safety "Pins" or limp home safety feature. When I actually looked at that part, it is pretty beefy. Had I known this from the start, I would not have been so quick to change it. It looks plenty strong enough for simply cruising around.
As long as you don't do dragstrip launches, yeah, it's pretty strong, but without ANY cushioning (rubber or springs) it gives a nice hammering effect on the components of the transaxle, especially transitioning from power-on to coasting. It is very harsh on the TA.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZR8ED
I just did my clutch, and for the price/availability, it was a no brainer to switch to the spring style.

As a note to anyone with the rubber style, when the rubber fails, you get this "clunking" sound when you let out the clutch, if you drive it gently (slip the clutch slightly), it works just fine. As for the safety "Pins" or limp home safety feature. When I actually looked at that part, it is pretty beefy. Had I known this from the start, I would not have been so quick to change it. It looks plenty strong enough for simply cruising around.
I limped 90 miles home from a track event when my rubber clutch finally quit. But it makes the car very uncomfortable to drive, and as noted, the shock on the drivetrain is not a good thing.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:58 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I have never gotten less than 150k miles out of a clutch. Oh, wait... there's one time. That was when the rubber center on my 944's clutch broke at 90k miles. They told me that there was still plenty of material left on the clutch but, alas, the unit was toast.

I noticed no difference in performance when I switched to a spring clutch (versus how the rubber clutch performed). I will say that I was more likely to get on the gas, though, since I no longer feared stressing my ****ty rubber clutch.

So, yeah. I see absolutely no reason to go with a rubber clutch unless someone else was paying everything.

BB.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:23 AM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My clutch rescently failed while sitting in the garage. Worked perfectly with no hint of failure when parked. I assumed that the rubber center failed but it sounds like most you that have had that trouble had some warning. I have exausted all hydraulic issues because the forks seem to be working fine. Anyone have any other ideas. Maybe a thrust bearing?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:50 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rgs944
My clutch rescently failed while sitting in the garage. Worked perfectly with no hint of failure when parked. I assumed that the rubber center failed but it sounds like most you that have had that trouble had some warning. I have exausted all hydraulic issues because the forks seem to be working fine. Anyone have any other ideas. Maybe a thrust bearing?
SO it will disengage, but not engage...
Old 06-29-2010, 03:41 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes. When cranking the engine in gear it will move the car and when the car is running I can not shift into any gear.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:01 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spring. Haven't seen unanimity in a RL poll since the "***** Y/N?" poll.

Quick Reply: rubber or spring clutch.....