Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no-start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Did you wire the starter correctly?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:04 PM
MichaelK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the starter is suspect can you get a "remote" starter button? It is basically just some heavy gauge wires with a button that you use to bypass the car electrical system and supply power directly to the starter motor. That would certainly help isolate the problem.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:21 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Did you wire the starter correctly?
Tim - what do you mean by this ... ?

going to go outside and "play" a little bit

DME should be here tomorrow

from search though, appears that early DME's were not as "prone" to breaking as late ones ...
Old 09-09-2010, 07:27 PM
roman944
Drifting

Tim - THANK YOU!

Went out with wire brush - cleaned ALL connectors EVERYWHERE

double checked the wiring, and I guess 1 of the wires on the starter was "misplaced" or something ... BUT the car now runs great!

Started great! With ISV delete and other van hoses deleted, idled a little rough - but we fixed that!

Now all I need is to bleed the cooling system ... I know there is a bolt on top of the cylinder head ... but how do I go about this?

Thanks guys!

Also, some of the connectors on my battery were black, cleaning them back to their shiney cooper color probably made a great deal of improvement as well!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:57 PM
roman944
Drifting

my radio wouldn't work, went looking and found a bad fuse, I may run a new power wire to the radio with a newer in-line fuse, just because that would be easier

also, I was doing something wrong when I tried to bleed coolant ... didn't work, we waited for a few mnts and nothing came out of the bleed screw, but the car started over-heating (past half-mark on the gauge)

can someone dumb-e-fy instructions for me please?

thanks guys!
Old 09-09-2010, 10:32 PM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sounds like the problem I'm having. What connectors are you referring to that you went over with a wire brush?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:44 AM
roman944
Drifting

Originally Posted by GloriaRedStang
This sounds like the problem I'm having. What connectors are you referring to that you went over with a wire brush?

Thanks in advance.
@ the battery

but we also un-did and re-did the connectors everywhere (grounds, starter) ... so maybe 1 wire was misplaced ... or had a bad connection

I have battery terminal "+" and there are 3 more connectors on there, before I noticed that if I "wiggle" them, I see spark, and car started

good DME is still great to have though
Old 09-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by roman944
Tim - THANK YOU!

Went out with wire brush - cleaned ALL connectors EVERYWHERE

double checked the wiring, and I guess 1 of the wires on the starter was "misplaced" or something ... BUT the car now runs great!
Glad you got it going!
Old 09-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by roman944
also, I was doing something wrong when I tried to bleed coolant ... didn't work, we waited for a few mnts and nothing came out of the bleed screw, but the car started over-heating (past half-mark on the gauge)

can someone dumb-e-fy instructions for me please?

thanks guys!
Jack up the drivers side of the car. Remove or loosen bleeder bolt. Dump distilled water into tank until water comes out the bleeder. Start car, turn on heater. Once you get to temp (fans will kick on), water will come out bleed screw, when it is running water, not mostly air, close bleeder screw. Lower drivers side and then top of tank if needed.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

It might even help to, with the car off, take the cap off the coolant tank, open up the bleeder screw on the head, pinch the tank overflow tube with your thumb and forefinger, then put your mouth on the reservoir and blow in.

After some blowing, you should be able to get coolant to come out the bleeder.

Also, your thermostat is in the correct orientation??
Old 09-10-2010, 06:44 PM
roman944
Drifting

we tried to bleed it yesterday - the driver's side is lifted because we were checking/redoing the wiring

started the car, got it to where fans kicked on (did NOT turn the heat on though) - and waited ... and waited ... and waited ... but nothing came out from the bleed screw?

am I supposed to do this with car started/running and expansion tank OPEN?

did thermostat like on the pictures

also, nicest thing is that my fans turn on AND off now ... lol, I forgot that feeling

and another question, my dad suggested that I take a wire brush and LIGHTLY go over all the rotors to take some of this dirt/light rust off of them before I try to take the car for a short spin down the street ... is this alright? any other "cleaner" type I can use? brake cleaner?

thanks guys!

Quick Reply: no-start?