Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeler: 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 03:55 AM
Clowd
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feeler: 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo

(posted this in the member classifieds but figured I should probably post it here too...)

Hey guys, this is mainly a feeler because I don't reealllyyy want to sell this thing, I love it, but I could use the money and I haven't had the time to enjoy it recently. If someone that is going to use it more than I do wants it, I will definitely consider letting it go.

1986, 140723 miles, guards red...

the bad:
-The paint is definitely not perfect. there are some chips and dents here and there and so on. It also needs a new Porsche emblem

-Needs new thermofan switch(which I have)

-Needs power steering belt and some mounting hardware(the tension rod broke)

-Will stall at idle(especially in traffic or while its raining! it knows, I swear!) which I have narrowed down to the sensor connectors behind the intake manifold. should just be a quick solder job to fix.

-Leaks a bit of oil.. if you don't drive it for a few days there will be a little stain on the driveway.

-Also burns a bit of oil when driving hard

the good:
-New timing belt, balance shaft belt, and front engine seals - only a couple thousand miles on them. I'll throw in the arnnworx tools with the car.

-Service records all the way back to the early 90s

-Uncracked dash!! seems to be rare in these cars

-Lindsey Racing boost enhancer, chips, 3 inch exhaust from the headers back

-Other than the things listed above, it doesn't need anything else that I know of. I actually used this thing as my daily driver for quite some time, and it is surprisingly reliable other than the stalling issue.

not gonna post a specific asking price, just kind of want to see if anyone is interested and hear some offers.
Attached Images     
Old 09-15-2010, 04:38 AM
Ray_Singh
Instructor

Looks a nice car - i love these on Fuchs.
GLWTS.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:16 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5k-7k would be what you should expect
Old 09-15-2010, 09:25 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by carlege
5k-7k would be what you should expect
While it pains me to say it....................in this market your estimate above is a bit high for the car as described. I'd say that much might be good for a 86 951 that was basically "turn-key" and ready to go. But to a prospective buyer, the car needs the following:

Paint
Wheels refinished
Stalling issue sorted out
Oil-burning and leaking issue sorted out
Power steering issue and other nagging small bits

Honestly the way it sits now, I wouldn't expect more than $4k at best.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Clowd
Pro

Originally Posted by tifosiman
While it pains me to say it....................in this market your estimate above is a bit high for the car as described. I'd say that much might be good for a 86 951 that was basically "turn-key" and ready to go. But to a prospective buyer, the car needs the following:

Paint
Wheels refinished
Stalling issue sorted out
Oil-burning and leaking issue sorted out
Power steering issue and other nagging small bits

Honestly the way it sits now, I wouldn't expect more than $4k at best.
man. It would really pain me to get less than $5000 for it.

I'm not gonna paint it because I would just screw it up, but, what do you think I could get if I fixed all the other stuff? It's just tiny stuff(except for the oil burning.. that's probably not getting fixed, at least by me) and I could get it all done in a weekend.

edit: are the values on these things just going down, down, down? do you guys think they will go back up eventually?
Old 09-15-2010, 04:11 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

the values are going up now... I think since I've owned my 86 Turbo its has gone up around 300 in a year... but you really only get a good value of these baby's if there in really good condition.

As it sits now I would say 4k would be a reasonable offer, if you fix all the things you can on it I can see the value adding up to the 5k mark...

If you were closer I would consider painting it for you... why not take it to macco? I got a car painted there and it was excellent.... just sand the car down with 220 very well all over and remove the taillights, handles, rear hatch, rubber trim... make sure to sand the taillight area/handles in such all the tight spaces...

Macco does a good job, they just suck at prep.. I got the single stage urethane on one of my cars and it looks almost show quality.. all I did was sand the sucker and pay like $550. But if you do these look for the best Macco in your area, they are independantly owned.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:15 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Also refinishing the wheels wouldn't be hard and would help a lot, just get some wheel polish and spend like 1-2hours on each one polishing the lip then for the center you could get some black rim paint give them a sand and spray them.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:16 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

I must say I like urs better than mine lol, but I've done so much maintenance I dunno if I could get rid of it....

What are your option codes? LSD? Just wondering
Old 09-15-2010, 04:44 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I would hold off on the Maaco paint job.

If I were a prospective buyer I would much rather see a car with faded original paint that is in need of a repaint versus one that has a questionable paint job. No offense to those who have had luck with $500 paint jobs.

I would suggest that you fix the power steering, the oil leak, and the stalling issue. Refinish the wheels. Give the car a buff and wax. Then you'd definitely get $4k, maybe more toward $5k if the right buyer comes along.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:51 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Personally I would just paint it myself, love to paint it's not that expensive really that way... I painted a car with a 2 stage paint (base/clear) for roughly 500 or less... did all the sanding, tac clothing, taping and such it came out really good. Just laid a dupont sealer on top then laid the urethane base then clear, good fun experience. Got the paint from paintforcars.com, that stuff is really good quality def. worth 2 to 3times whats they ask... painted 2 years ago no signs of chiping or defect.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:53 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

I can't remember are the 944's single stage or 2 stage? Cause if you have a 2 stage (base color/clear) then you could just clay bar and wax the car and it would make it nicer
Old 09-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Clowd
Pro

yeah it has LSD. It has just about every option - it even had this stupid 80's car phone option haha.

I'm definitely not gonna paint it myself (helped my friend painting his BMW and it was.... mediocre at best, even with hours upon hours upon hours of prep work) and maaco is of course out of the question.

just out of curiosity - would anyone here want it for $4000 as it is?
Old 09-15-2010, 06:04 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Clowd you have a pretty nice car man, if it were me I wouldn't sell it unless you had to... I would get it but I'm broke and already have one...ls1 conversion is on my list so that's hopefully where my 4k would go.

But you do have a nice car and personally 4k is reasonable since your mileage is lower (way lower than mine lol, mines at 195k) you have the lovely LSD, Fuchs, and overall car looks good and has important maintenance already done. Fix the little things that you can it give it a shot a 4,500-5k you might be shocked. I know a guy near me that sold a white one with 215k miles for 5,500, it was a in good condition but not what you'd expect.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Bill Lucas
Burning Brakes

Good luck selling your car.

I'm pretty sure Rennlist rules for selling state that you must post a price. I know you're trying to gauge the value but if you do try to sell it here you can't "take offers".
Old 09-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Clowd
Pro

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
Clowd you have a pretty nice car man, if it were me I wouldn't sell it unless you had to... I would get it but I'm broke and already have one...ls1 conversion is on my list so that's hopefully where my 4k would go.

But you do have a nice car and personally 4k is reasonable since your mileage is lower (way lower than mine lol, mines at 195k) you have the lovely LSD, Fuchs, and overall car looks good and has important maintenance already done. Fix the little things that you can it give it a shot a 4,500-5k you might be shocked. I know a guy near me that sold a white one with 215k miles for 5,500, it was a in good condition but not what you'd expect.
yeah I know, I totally agree with you. I don't NEEEEED the money persay, but I could really really use it to help out my blooming business... just to kinda get things going faster than they are, so we'll see...

Originally Posted by Bill Lucas
Good luck selling your car.

I'm pretty sure Rennlist rules for selling state that you must post a price. I know you're trying to gauge the value but if you do try to sell it here you can't "take offers".
Roger that. just to be clear - if someone here wants it, I would like to get $5000 for it. I'm open to negotiation.

Quick Reply: Feeler: 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo