Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle when in Neutral

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 11:09 AM
God_Bot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle when in Neutral

Hey guys, I have a rattle that I couldn't hear before due to an over tight balance belt. The belts were the first job I did on this car so I still plan on taking it to a mechanic down in Fort Collins to check the tension for me.

Anyways, when the car is in neutral there is a rattle, slightly higher pitched almost like a squeal. Pushing in on the clutch doesn't change it at all so I'm thinking it's not the throw-out bearing (am I right?). The only thing that stops the noise is putting the car in a gear, clutch in or out, or I can move the selector against the shift gate and it will stop.

Any ideas on what I should look at? The shifter is pretty sloppy and I have a thread saved that shows how to take care of that. The noise sounds like it's coming from under the car further down the linkage or at the transaxle. So I don't think it'll go away when I tighten up the shifter in-cab.

This isn't a common problem that I can't find a thread for is it?

Thanks,
Garrett

Whoops, it's an '87 N/A by the way.

Last edited by God_Bot; 11-02-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Forgot to post car.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:48 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at your heat shields.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Keaton944
Instructor

I have a similar noise on the 86 NA. But it goes away when i press in the clutch, or when i am in gear. Could this mean be my throwout bearing? I need to check my heat shields too to see if that is the source but just curious if this could also be the sign of a failing TO bearing since it goes away when clutch is pressed.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:54 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My guess would be torque tube or transmission bearings.
Car at idle, not in gear, clutch engaged; will rotate the drive and transmission input shafts.
Car at idle, in gear, clutch disengaged; will stall the drive and transmission input shafts.

It could be a heat shield too, since the above change in moving components will cause a frequency change.

Does the noise change when you vary the rpm for both of the above scenarios?
Old 11-02-2010, 06:14 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

It's normal.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:50 AM
God_Bot
Instructor

Noise doesn't change with varying rpms from what I can tell. It stays the same until I can't hear it over the engine.

I may have misrepresented the sound. I took the car out tonight and it's more of a squeal than rattle, just a slightly pulsating squeal if that makes any sense. It also doesn't start until after the car has warmed up a bit and driven 1/2 mile or so if that makes any difference.

Normal? Possibly, this car has loads of noises that seem to come and go. The one constant issue is the clear coat and now that I've hear that the LM5U paint code is a somewhat rare I may have it repainted the original color in the future.

I will try and remember to take a video of it tomorrow as that will work better than me trying to explain it.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:42 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Crank nose bearing?
Old 11-03-2010, 04:45 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Keaton944
I have a similar noise on the 86 NA. But it goes away when i press in the clutch, or when i am in gear. Could this mean be my throwout bearing? I need to check my heat shields too to see if that is the source but just curious if this could also be the sign of a failing TO bearing since it goes away when clutch is pressed.
This is normal. It's due to the 5th gear rattling on the shaft. They did it from brand new, and Porsche actually replaced gearboxes under warranty until they decided it was a feature, not a problem
Old 11-03-2010, 04:48 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same thing. Engine speed or clutch doesn't affect it.

Its almost a squeak....but its also a rattle.

Its not a bearing squeel, and its not a tinny heat shield sound. Sounds like it is behind the engine/bell housing area..Driving me nuts.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Keaton944
Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton944 View Post

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
This is normal. It's due to the 5th gear rattling on the shaft. They did it from brand new, and Porsche actually replaced gearboxes under warranty until they decided it was a feature, not a problem
that's good to know. I have already replaced the torque tube on this car and the "new" torque tube (it was taken out of a parts car) had great bearings and would spin easily and freely so i was 99% sure it couldn't be the torque tube or bearings. I was concerned it might be the TO bearings as i dont have any history of when any clutch work was done just that i know some was done at some point b/c it no longer has the original rubber disk.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:20 AM
God_Bot
Instructor

Here's a link to the sound...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjxR_fI8WcY

In the video it goes away when stepping on the clutch and when moving the gear selector against the shift gate. Later in the day after 30-45 minutes of driving the sound could still be heard when stepping on the clutch while rolling and sometimes even stepping on the clutch when stopped.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:02 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Does putting pressure on the gear shifter make it go away? either in gear or neutral, try lightly pressing the lever sideways or forwards/backwards depending on the gear your in.

Mine makes this minor whining noise, and only started making it after my shifter pin broke, and I welded the pin to the shifter. I have thought about wrapping the linkage or the shifter (under the boot) with some rubber with a clamp to change the resonance frequency, but I have not yet been bothered enough to do something about it.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:58 PM
God_Bot
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZR8ED
Does putting pressure on the gear shifter make it go away? either in gear or neutral, try lightly pressing the lever sideways or forwards/backwards depending on the gear your in.
Yes. That's exactly what I'm trying to explain and try to show in the video when I move the gear selector.

I had the center counsel out just the other day to plug the head unit back in. Didn't look at the pin though. I had the shifter off about 8 months ago as a friend was going to machine a new one for me in his class. That fell through but I remember the pin still being attached.

It is pretty sloppy so maybe I'll go back in an look at it. Would the clutch have any effect if it's the pin?

I'm parking the car at my mom's when I go home for Thanksgiving and bringing a pickup that I just bought back in it's place for the winter.

Quick Reply: Rattle when in Neutral