Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 944 water leak problem - any more advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 01:16 PM
mojieboy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 944 water leak problem - any more advice?

Hi All,

I've read every thread going about water leaks and still I can't seem to get to the bottom of this one.

I have a right hand drive 944 S2 and I keep getting puddles of water in the rear passenger footwell every time it rains (which is not good cos I live in Scotland - and it seems to rain all the time!!!!)

Being right hand drive, the battery is in the rear wheel arch so the usual suspect battery box under the bonnent seems less likely. I have throughly inspected this and poured water all around the drainage holes at the front and the water drains fine under the car by the sills. Both n/s and r/s underbonnet drains are completly clear.

I have inspected the sunroof drains and water is draining out of the rear wheel arch drain holes with no problems.

The front sunroof drains are draining into the front n/s and r/s drains under the bonnet ok.

I have also fully covered the sunroof with waterproof tape to eliminate this area altogether.

The rear hatch pin drains are connected and draining ok.

The fuel filler drain is draining ok..

The water appears to be coming from the front of the car and finding it's way to to the rear footwell - it does not appear to be coming from the rear of the car (am pretty confident it's not therefore the rear hatch (which had new seals last winter).
The front footwell is bone dry!

What am I missing ?
It's driving me nuts and i'm worried the water will start causing real damage!

Any advise greatfully received!
Old 11-06-2010, 01:59 PM
cb944
Advanced

I feel your pain! I still haven't gotten to the bottom of my water leak...

You don't mention above that you've checked the rear hatch glass seal? My understanding is that the seal between the glass and the hatch can separate and let water in.

Do you park outside, and if so, is it on a hill? It would be nice to figure out if the water could be running down from the front, or if it has to be coming from the rear.

I just took one of my door panels off to try to figure out where my water is coming from - I can hear this water sloshing noise when pulling away that sounds like it's coming from the door. It rained heavily last night and the door panel is soaking wet on the bottom edge. I believe that water is filling up from the doors not draining properly, and eventually it overfills and runs down the inside of the door.

Of course, if this were the case, I'd expect to see a big pool of water inside the door. No such luck...

Chris.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

OP - take a flat paint scraper and peel the rubber by the rear quarter windows back just a little bit. then put some adhesive (not silicone, the other stuff - brain fart) in between teh window and the rubber. push the rubber against teh window so the excess is squeezed out. then take a razor and clean teh excess.

cb - open the door, look under it to make sure the drain holes are empty. also make sure you have the plastic that goes between the door and the door panel.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:09 AM
cb944
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tom R.
cb - open the door, look under it to make sure the drain holes are empty. also make sure you have the plastic that goes between the door and the door panel.
Thanks Tom, I do indeed have the plastic and it was well stuck down - it looked like it had never been off so I was hesitant to peel it back. There is some debris in the bottom of the door but it was starting to get dark and I wanted to get the door panel inside to dry it out, so I'll clean out the door tomorrow. What I really don't understand is I can actually hear water running in the car when I pull away or change gear suddenly. It sounds like there's a puddle in the car!

On your point about the quarter windows, I've never heard of these leaking before. Is that a known failure point? They always looked quite well sealed to me.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by cb944
On your point about the quarter windows, I've never heard of these leaking before. Is that a known failure point? They always looked quite well sealed to me.
neither did I until i did everything from drain holes to tape over the sunroof to tape over the hatch to swapping hatches to going nuts. turned out it was the quarter windows. I was getting the windshield replaced and the guy at the place did the fix in about two minutes for free. stopped the leak.

Quick Reply: Another 944 water leak problem - any more advice?