Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 951 part-out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 08:22 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested in the turbo for the right price and a few little interior items (screw cover for the dash and sunroof latches). also if the passenger power/heated mirror is the same as an 86 then I may be interested in that as well...

What about the little cover in the hatch, black? good shape?
Old 11-15-2010, 05:38 AM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Haha, good response so far I guess. I am moving the car here shortly, and then I can start removing and cataloging parts. As far as the questions, lets see if I can answer some and let people know what to expect. The car is in pretty good condition. Interior was great, with minimal evidence of wear and tear, certainly didn't look 20+ years old! Area around the sunroof peeled a little on the back side, and the dash has a plastic cover on it.

Temperature sniffer is in good condition with all it's vent holes (not cracked!) I have a black anodized gauge mount, cubby-hole cover plate. It's got 2 holes and one of them has an Auto Meter boost gauge in it, the other has the Lindsey boost controller in it. Though I do not have vacuum lines cut for the controller. Bought a kit that I'll have to find and throw in.

Sunroof parts are all good as far as I can tell. My driver's side latch (IIRC) needed a little wiggle to lock (didn't want to close sometimes), but other than that I never had issues. Hardware looks to be good. Door handles are in tact, and look like they're in good shape. Exhaust is about 1 1/2 years old. Still shiny. Spin Tech muffler is loud at certain RPM's but the car had an EXCELLENT sound at idle. I'd start it just to listen for a minute sometimes haha. There was a slight rasp at some RPM's, that oddly and quickly switched to a howl. Guess it's the nature of the resonator.

Wheels are D90's and look nice. No major chips. BF Goodrich tires (IIRC) have decent tread, but I had worn the inside shoulder blocks down mostly. She had some good rear camber.

I'll take a look at the shift boot stuff as well. As a note, I'm not happy with the shifter. Drilled it out and welded my own piece together, so if you're looking for that part, just keep on with it. Mine isn't worth the time.

Transmission is good. One of the half-shafts had a tick, which I assume means the driver's side decided to bitch out... Again. Oh and that reminds me! I have a solid transmission mount from Tom Charlesworth that I never had a chance to install.

Carpet is good. I wanted new floor mats because mine looked kind of aged underneath. Always had debris to vacuum up when I detailed. Like the laminate material was flaking off. With a good shampoo though, there was minimal fading on the carpet side.

Due to the collision, I'll have to look at the A-arms. To be honest, most of the damage was focused on the hood and nose panel. I'm actually pretty confident the frame held square too. Still, I want to see if the suspension linkage isn't fubar on the driver's side. If not, I'll tack it in the sale.

Turbo is stock. Computer may not be. I never cracked it open, but the car acted pretty freaky for something with JUST an exhaust. I bought some chips from a user here, profiled for a stock turbo on 15-16 pounds and aftermarket exhaust. However, I never installed them. Those will go up as well with the computer. I'll check to see what's inside the DME. All I know is (for those interested), my car pulled on STI's, it could walk a 350Z, and there may or may not be a video of it running along an LS1 F-body that hasn't been posted on youtube yet. But that's all relative. The car did NOT act like it was running on 217hp!

IIRC fog lights got messed up. Passenger side of the car is what took the brunt of the blow. Ironically, I think the driver's side made it.

Oil pump I do have! I'll see about the passenger mirror. Hatch cargo cover is in good condition. I liked using it .

Also, I have a sunroof bag that I purchased from another user on here so I'll probably be tossing that up too. It's in great condition and even if I get another 944, I don't see myself using it all the time. I really just bought it when it went up for sale because I didn't have a 944 yet and I needed motivation to get one. Thats right! I bought a 944 sunroof bag to motivate me to get the dang car! haha

Lastly, I have a spare bumper I got from someone on here. In the spirit of giving (since he helped me out when I needed it), I'll be selling that for nearly free. It's light blue, but really really needs paint. You'll have to strip and prep it for new primer for sure.

Also I have a V-1 splitter that I never had the chance to install on the car. That's right. UNUSED V-1 Splitter with full hardware. Anyone want a package deal on that and the bumper?

Still waiting till next week to get my membership renewed, move the car and start tearing into it. I'm keeping it with Tom so I have to find out how all that's going to work.

Thanks again for reading. Details may change after I get the official thread started. Here's a pic of her before the wreck just for good memories!

Old 11-15-2010, 03:23 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like it was a NICE car, no longer interested in wheels, thanks anyway.
good luck with what ever you plan to do with it.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:29 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pm sent
Old 11-15-2010, 11:14 PM
zeusrotty
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said. Id like first crack at the suspension parts so that I can make my 86 late offset... just let me know if they are straight, and give me a price and we can work it out.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Thamagic1
Track Day

I would be interested in spare bumper....and whatever lights may have survived if any.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:47 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Sorry for being so slow getting things started guys! I've been very busy between work, setting up school and talking with Mr. Charlesworth, who has my car at his shop. I'm sure I could expedite things if he okays me posting his contact info. I'll see if that's acceptable. I just can't make it to the shop all the time to check on parts with my schedule!!!

I won't have time till after Christmas to get things started, but if you really want to get in contact with me, my email is: uberelko@gmail.com

I'll open email updates on my phone; I'm just so forgetfull that I don't remember to get the thread started and inventory things on the car.

P.S. I'm sure the suspension is usable, and the parts are still available. I don't know if I mentioned, but I also have other things that I didn't get to install on the car. There are chips programmed for 16psi with aftermarket wg and exhaust on stock turbo. Should be good for a bump in power.

There is also a completely solid, zinc coated trans mount that I got and never installed. I may or may not sell it with the trans. Just depends.

Anyway, let me get everything I'm going to post accounted for and priced. If you've PM'D me, I still have the messages and will keep you in mind. BTW this IS NOT the official sale thread. I will start that when I finally get my membership reinstated.

Thanks all and have a happy holiday!
Alan Smith

Quick Reply: 1987 951 part-out?