Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gurus - sylvania xenarc headlamps?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 11:52 PM
bf95cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post gurus - sylvania xenarc headlamps?

any opinions on these? will they fit the 944 and or the 968?
the price is high, but the sylvania website has 'em on discount for the moment at about $500 each.
Thanks
Old 11-14-2002, 01:04 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That $500 price should be for the pair. They are dropping in price like a rock for a good reason. I don't want to say much more about them, just don't buy 'em.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:39 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

no, tell why! just that brand or what?
Old 11-14-2002, 01:41 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably becoming DOT disapproved.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:42 AM
Eurocarguy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Osram Sylvania HID lamps (high intensity discharge) will fit in the 944. I have not done an installation, but Sylvania says they will fit.

When shopping for new lights, remember to consider the Department of Transportation (DOT) laws. The DOT has regulations on how bright headlights can be. There is a maximum, to keep on coming cars from blinding other drivers. The HID lamps, while about half the power of typical car halogen headlights, produced about 5 times more light per watt than the halogen. Thats a lot of light. In a new car headlight, designed by optical lighting designers to use the HID lamps, they use reflectors, lens, and diffusers to spread the light all around the front of the car and still meet the DOTs limit for maximum brightness. For the aftermarket headlight manufacturer, the don't have the resources to design the optics for each car, so their design is less than optimal. Some just go for a narrow beam, super bright output, which exceeds the DOT limits. I don't think the Sylvania system is in this group, but there are a lot of people making these things now.

Of course, the risk of too bright of headlights is getting stopped by the cops and getting a fix it ticket to reduce the output or possibly remove, wasting your money. Worse, you cause an accident, leaving you open to all sorts of negliance claims.

If you seek a little more light from your headlights, consider buying new halogen bulbs. If your headlights are old, they aren't as bright as the used to be as all lights dim as they get used. New lights may be enough and should save you $475.

Personally, I am a lighting geek, I mean engineer. I work for a lighting company that makes HID lights similar to the Sylvania, but at higher wattage and not for the automotive industry. I've followed these headlights for years, yet I haven't installed them in my own 944. (However, they are in my wife's X5, and they work good). I guess my concern is putting in the high voltage discharge ballast to start the lamp. What will it do to my other electronics. Currently, my power locks don't work and my window switch keeps shorting. Electrically, does my car need the stress. Also, a poorly installed HID system may not be as good as the stock halogens. And finally, I don't drive my car enough at night to justify the expense and time.

I not saying not to try the HID. I just wouldn't buy them first without trying the other options. If after you switch to the new halogen lamps and still want more, then give the HID a try. If they cause you problems, you can always remove them and sell them on ebay!!
Old 11-14-2002, 03:20 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Chris, I was going to debate this with you until I saw the tail end of your message and knew where you were going.

HID is great, but expensive. Good halogen output that is likely better than HID can be had for $350 USD. Will cost a lot more in amp draw and short bulb life, but what the hell, go for it!

Quick Reply: gurus - sylvania xenarc headlamps?