Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

500+Whp for under 5 grand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 10:55 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good, but isn't that truck made for performance not to haul stuff. If you want to haul stuff get a diesel. Done.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:00 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
ummm, how 'bout add 150 k miles to the whole affair and let me know how you did..... over the long haul i'll bet you come out pretty close, if the V8 doesn't win outright... then, you can add a mounain of mid-range power and torque under the curve, and hardly ever find yourself slowing down in high gear and returning to throttle with no power.
Not sure why you're such an LS fanboy...? The LSx is a good engine, but it not always the answer to every question.

I can rebuild a 951 motor MANY times over for the cost of an LS conversion.
I don't get the not having to shift thing... If I didn't ever want to shift, I would buy an automatic

And as far as the "power under the curve", check out this post comparing my dyno to TonyG - we made within 5hp of eachother:

https://rennlist.com/forums/6465654-post89.html
Old 12-27-2010, 10:51 AM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Not sure why you're such an LS fanboy...? The LSx is a good engine, but it not always the answer to every question.

I can rebuild a 951 motor MANY times over for the cost of an LS conversion.
I don't get the not having to shift thing... If I didn't ever want to shift, I would buy an automatic

And as far as the "power under the curve", check out this post comparing my dyno to TonyG - we made within 5hp of eachother:

https://rennlist.com/forums/6465654-post89.html
LSx is a actual block. Its not a way to identify the entire LS series of engines. If your going to generalize the LS series call is a LS not a LSx.

Here you go, a LSx crate motor that has 600+hp.
http://www.jegs.com/i/GM%20Performan...0002/-1?CT=999
Old 12-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by VOoDOoGTX
LSx is a actual block. Its not a way to identify the entire LS series of engines. If your going to generalize the LS series call is a LS not a LSx.

Here you go, a LSx crate motor that has 600+hp.
http://www.jegs.com/i/GM%20Performan...0002/-1?CT=999
A bit nit-picky there... I've seen the LS series referred to as LSx many times, including by people who build/sell them. And technically, LSX is not the same as LSx.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:09 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Looks good, but isn't that truck made for performance not to haul stuff. If you want to haul stuff get a diesel. Done.
Its still got ~360HP/TQ, which seems like performance numbers to me. I want a V8 someday so that I get instantaneous shove-me-through-the-seat, and a 6.0 motor cammed for low and midrange grunt is perfect for my uses.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:20 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

A bit nit-picky there... I've seen the LS series referred to as LSx many times, including by people who build/sell them. And technically, LSX is not the same as LSx.
Yes, quite often people that don't know anything about LS series engines do call them LSx. Its common and idc about anyone you know who builds them if your trying to say that the Porsche 944 engine even holds a candle against the longevity, cheep cost, and power that a LS engine has.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Yes, quite often people that don't know anything about LS series engines do call them LSx.
http://www.nmcadigital.com/lsx/

http://www.planetlsx.com/

http://www.lsxnation.net/

Maybe you tell those guys they are wrong too.

Its common and idc about anyone you know who builds them if your trying to say that the Porsche 944 engine even holds a candle against the longevity, cheep cost, and power that a LS engine has.
Motor to motor comparison, sure I agree with you. However, this is a 944 forum, which means there isn't an apples to apples comparison. To play the LS game with the 944, you have to pony up for the conversion.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:33 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

are you retarted?

If you’re an LS fan then the GM Performance Parts LSX Challenge Series is what you’ve been waiting for. Developed from the excitement of the LSX Shootout, the all-new LSX Challenge Series will run at four select events in 2011:
im not even going to look at the rest of them because on the MAIN PAGE it refurs to a LSx as the actual block and the whole series as a LS. good job champ
Old 12-27-2010, 03:37 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

are you retarted?
Old 12-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

If you actually read the rules:

ENGINE Only LS based small block engines are allowed
Nowhere does it state you have to have an LSX.
Good job being an *******.

I'm done here, Mr. righteous.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:44 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

If you actually read the rules:

Nowhere does it state you have to have an LSX.
Good job being an *******.

I'm done here, Mr. righteous.
Just because they named there stupid event LSX challenge does not sway the fact that the entire article they say LS not LSx not LSX unless they are talking about the stupid name of the event. I mean serious dude just let it die, why the hell are you so hung up on calling it the wrong name.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Motor to motor comparison, sure I agree with you. However, this is a 944 forum, which means there isn't an apples to apples comparison. To play the LS game with the 944, you have to pony up for the conversion.
This is total speculation.

One thing is for sure you can spend way different amounts on LSx style engines as well as how good your own fabrication skills are. Some people will have to purchase every part of a kit and have it built for them. Others will make the kit themselves as well as spend along time to find a great deal on a motor. My buddy just pulled a complete 2001 Fbody LS1 for $250 from a local pull and pay. However, it took him about 7 hours to get the engine out and some haggling pre-removal on price.

However, to say its more expensive is dumb. If you do it yourself and look real hard or use say a 5.3 instead you can end up spending less then it would cost to build the bottom end of a 951 motor.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:42 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
This is total speculation.

One thing is for sure you can spend way different amounts on LSx style engines as well as how good your own fabrication skills are. Some people will have to purchase every part of a kit and have it built for them. Others will make the kit themselves as well as spend along time to find a great deal on a motor. My buddy just pulled a complete 2001 Fbody LS1 for $250 from a local pull and pay. However, it took him about 7 hours to get the engine out and some haggling pre-removal on price.

However, to say its more expensive is dumb. If you do it yourself and look real hard or use say a 5.3 instead you can end up spending less then it would cost to build the bottom end of a 951 motor.
People not really involved with the LS motor world are also under the assumption all 500hp LS motors are the same.

Friend of mine is a regular DE participant with his C5 - Z06 and a better than average driver.

When ever he hears "cheap 500hp" he cannot help but laugh. He went through a couple of those motors before ordering a Katch 427.
Those "cheap" 500hp motors are great for dyno days and your occasional run down the 1/4 mile or blast down the road against your neighbor. If you want to actually drive the car at its limit more than once, be prepared to pony up some serious cash.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:50 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
People not really involved with the LS motor world are also under the assumption all 500hp LS motors are the same.

Friend of mine is a regular DE participant with his C5 - Z06 and a better than average driver.

When ever he hears "cheap 500hp" he cannot help but laugh. He went through a couple of those motors before ordering a Katch 427.
Those "cheap" 500hp motors are great for dyno days and your occasional run down the 1/4 mile or blast down the road against your neighbor. If you want to actually drive the car at its limit more than once, be prepared to pony up some serious cash.
Very true. But i mean how much seriously can you drop on a LS Long block? The LSX engine with 600+ and built for reliability is 10k. Im at 5K right now for the long block and probably a little over 4k for everything else that goes on it. My friends building a drag car with 1500whp off a LSx and hes bairly into 15k on the long block(not including the 8k for the transmission, 5k for the rear end and probably over 8k for the turbo setup) But that engine should be fairly reliable for the power it will be pushing. All im saying is the cheep engines, if done correctly, should not blow up when driven to their limits.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:03 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,185 Posts

The LSX engine with 600+ and built for reliability is 10k.
We simply disagree on what qualifies as a reliable engine.

Quick Reply: 500+Whp for under 5 grand?