Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

500+Whp for under 5 grand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 11:25 AM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
We simply disagree on what qualifies as a reliable engine.
Ill take that haha
Old 12-28-2010, 11:57 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VOoDOoGTX
Its common and idc about anyone you know who builds them if your trying to say that the Porsche 944 engine even holds a candle against the longevity, cheep cost, and power that a LS engine has.
Not true. The problem is 95% of all 951 are modified and tinkered with and usually done so in the wrong way.

A stock 951 motor that is properly maintained and/or a properly modified 951 engine will run 200k+ miles. I have seen a fair number of them.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:23 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Originally Posted by toddk911
Not true. The problem is 95% of all 951 are modified and tinkered with and usually done so in the wrong way.

A stock 951 motor that is properly maintained and/or a properly modified 951 engine will run 200k+ miles. I have seen a fair number of them.
Hell, my car is an example of this, 254000 on the odometer. I plan it to be a cruiser, and only that. Im not looking to modify it, but just drive it. I have had my share of racing, modding, blowing motors and building new to know that I am not looking for that....again. I just want to be able to drive the car and get from point A to B reliably and in a good looking and fun to drive car. I'll replace the motor when it starts burning oil quicker than I can keep it filled. Probably going to order a spare shortblock later in '11 just to have on hand and tinker with as I go along.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:41 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AScholtes
Hell, my car is an example of this, 254000 on the odometer. I plan it to be a cruiser, and only that. Im not looking to modify it, but just drive it. I have had my share of racing, modding, blowing motors and building new to know that I am not looking for that....again. I just want to be able to drive the car and get from point A to B reliably and in a good looking and fun to drive car. I'll replace the motor when it starts burning oil quicker than I can keep it filled. Probably going to order a spare shortblock later in '11 just to have on hand and tinker with as I go along.
Nice! Thanks for posting that info.

You are proof as to how reliable these motors are....IF WE LEAVE THEM ALONE!! LOL My self included.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:29 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by toddk911
Nice! Thanks for posting that info.

You are proof as to how reliable these motors are....IF WE LEAVE THEM ALONE!! LOL My self included.
Actually i agree with you, but we aren't talking about people that want to keep their engine stock. Also i have 3 service trucks we just decommissioned that have 200K-300K miles on them. One 6.0 we have has 250K and has NEVER broke down or stranded anyone, Just check engine light a few times and stupid sensors. We didn't even change the brakes till 100k on these.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:31 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

Oh and we have a 350 ford with a 10cyl in it that has 175k and only gone to the shop for oil changes and brakes. Literally NOTHING else has ever broken. Its a truck crafted by the hands of god himself, nothing can kill it haha.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:16 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No Cummins no care. Thats it.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:52 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

One of the things that makes me giggle every time i look at building another chevy motor is the price of parts...i can buy a gasket kit (not including head gaskets) for 60 bucks, i can buy a brand new GM oil pump for 80. On my 924S i was looking at getting a new oil pump because it's got a bad one...let me tell you it's not 80 bucks, even the used ones i've seen often go for 100+.

Plus, even though you're adding significant horsepower and displacement to the 944 engine bay, there's significantly more room to get around the motor, mainly because it doesn't sit way back into the cutout, so i can easily access my wiring harness stuff, as well as heater core hoses. Now there's no room next to the exhaust headers on either side...but there really wasn't on the porsche motor either, in fact i find it significantly easier to remove both headers from my motor than it was to remove them from just one side of a porsche motor!

It's little things like these that make me happy when i need to work on something.

edit: plus, you should feel the torque!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 12:14 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttd4ZvLaGxI

Well here's a video of a 948 with supposedly 440hp. To me it seems slow and lazy. Not counting the slow shifting which is forgivable with a V8. They seem to inspire lazy driving for some reason. Even watching examples on the track doesn't inspire me. There's just something inherently wrong with these conversions to my mind. Not to bag the guys that have done this. Whatever floats your boat and there are some fine examples out there. I guess if I wanted an Auto V8 front engined Porsche....well you know the rest.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:50 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

about a year and a half ago i tried to watch every swap video i could find. got the same impression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNrr7...eature=related

finally, the white "948" car taking on the dyno, and 911 was the first good one i saw... and Tony G. "Roval" videos. amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1l3w...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pADH2G9ung

verdict ? maybe the examples without LSD, bog down.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:28 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

bog down? certainly not. im not sure if tony g's car has lsd, it probably does, but after seeing it in person i can tell you it does not bog in any way at any speed

the video of the red car wasnt even being driven hard, you could hear it was part-throttle the whole time. LS motors scream at WOT.

and slow shifting id bet is to preserve the tranny's life...
Old 12-29-2010, 02:12 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

haha...i don't know about the rest of ya'll, but i drive my car extra careful.

And no it's not because i still have a n/a tranny in it, i've got a turbo one waiting to replace it...the reason is that it scares the hell out of me. The first red car is a mean machine, he's barely getting on it driving down that highway. Responsibility should not be mistaken for being slow (that is if you were serious), God knows we need a little more responsibility on the roads these days, especially when you have a budget supercar that can haul as much *** as a 948.

If you're ever in the Washington DC area, i'll take you for a ride, and i think you'll understand...and then you'll want one.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:24 AM
AScholtes
Pro

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944

and slow shifting id bet is to preserve the tranny's life...
And that is where the problem lies.... if you are going to be scared to drive the car with all the torque and power, why do the swap? Just to say you did?
Old 12-29-2010, 11:08 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

the idea of questioning the dependability of any properly built sbc is ridiculous.

the parts going into the motors from the factory back in the '60s and '70s weren't so good. motor oils, even worse....

but NASCAR and drag-racing changed the game.... for the past 20~25 years, the aftermarket has made it possible to build the near-equivalent of an "aircraft-quality" engine for the street...

you can take any of these properly rebuilt sbc motors, keep up with the oil, do very little else, run it hard for 150 k miles, total your ****box pickup, then, if you please, take the motor and drop it into the engine bay of a wrecker, haul cars around, and plow snow for 200 k miles more. i know a guy who has a fleet of trucks who'll tell you no different.

in the coming months i'll probably get a Cayman S, and after that car is paid for, i'll probably do the swap in my 968.... if i didn't currently own a 968, maybe i'd pick up that nice, Iris Blue car for sale with the LSD and low miles, sell the motor and do the same....

interesting thing about 968s; i believe there's probably more good engines than good cars out there.

(over the years, quite a few good motors have been absorbed into track day projects)...

you can't say this about too many Porsche models as having a glut of good motors sitting around waiting for a nice home. hell if you can say this about ANY Porsches.... Hacker in 3-2-1.... about how great the 944 engines are.... i

Hacker knows a ****load about cars, but i don't think the average 944 can hold a candle to a 968 motor.

just my 0.02.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:41 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by AScholtes
And that is where the problem lies.... if you are going to be scared to drive the car with all the torque and power, why do the swap? Just to say you did?
unsure but that car may still have an NA trans in it which will blow up even with the 944 engine at part throttle (BTDT)

whenever the time comes i do my own swap, i already have a 951 trans and im gonna flog that big motor everywhere i go

Quick Reply: 500+Whp for under 5 grand?