Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow truck winched me out by the front wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 10:24 PM
elzergone
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow truck winched me out by the front wheel.

And predictably, my alignment is now off. I'm going to have a shop look at it next week to get a number to give to the insurance company, what all should I have them look at?

I'm starting to hear a faint 'thunk' noise occasionally, that I had never heard before, and its making me worry a balljoint may have been damaged as well... any other suggestions?

Last edited by elzergone; 12-22-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:44 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by elzergone
And predictably, my alignment is now off. I'm going to have a shop look at it next week to get a number to give to the insurance company, what all should I have them look at?

I'm starting to hear a faint 'thunk' noise occasionally, and its making me worry a balljoint may have been damaged as well... any other suggestions?

Get a 4WD for winter...too much snow, too little clearance. Other than that your caster block was possibly yanked out of whack since they are bolted into inserts and strip easily. I doubt your ball joint or strut could get damaged unless he pulled from a tie-rod or strut mount and not the tire.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:10 PM
elzergone
Pro

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Get a 4WD for winter...too much snow, too little clearance. Other than that your caster block was possibly yanked out of whack since they are bolted into inserts and strip easily. I doubt your ball joint or strut could get damaged unless he pulled from a tie-rod or strut mount and not the tire.
I do have a 4wd, its a 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro and its currently in the shop getting its headgasket fixed... and it has been there for over a month now.

Thanks for the info though. Oh, also, the steering wheel is now cocked about 25 degrees to the left.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:50 AM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You have a coupe quattro? Nice! They sure are awesome little cars! (when they run...)
Old 12-23-2010, 07:33 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the steering wheel off to the side now sounds like a bent tie-rod and check for a loose caster block. I would not wait too long to get with your insurance company. What happened to you makes me want to modify the front bumper for a screw in tow hook.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 12-23-2010, 10:31 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,185 Posts

I do have a 4wd, its a 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro and its currently in the shop getting its headgasket fixed... and it has been there for over a month now.
Time to find a new shop. Unless the head was send out of guides and that's the delay.

Originally Posted by Andy1212
You have a coupe quattro? Nice! They sure are awesome little cars! (when they run...)
It's arguably one of the best engines to come out of VW / Audi.

I've put 75,000 miles on mine since 2001 and haven't been down for any repairs other than a broken distributor gear (nylon was a great idea.....). Looking at 200,000 miles here pretty soon.

I beat the living snot out of my Audi and enjoy every second if it. Considering it's almost never driven unless it's below freezing in Green Bay, I'd say it's holding up quite well. Every morning I hit 7k rpm multiple times, even in snow storms

My in-laws also have one, so does a local friend.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:43 AM
dontnow
Pro

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
It's arguably one of the best engines to come out of VW / Audi.
Is this the same 2.0 as in the 924?

Original post...just explain what happened to the alignment guy and he will (should) look very closely for damage. Otherwise the alignment would be garbage if something damaged or loose.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:45 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by dontnow
Is this the same 2.0 as in the 924?
2.2 liter 5-cylinder - dropping this engine in the 924 would have been a damn good decision back in the day.

Same engine (with a turbo) in the Ur-S4 and based on the same engine used in WRC and SCCA championship quattros.

1,000hp isn't unheard of from this engine.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:19 PM
elzergone
Pro

Originally Posted by Andy1212
Yup! Its a little beat up, but nothing that cant be fixed. Plus it only cost me 900 bucks. The head is at a machine shop now apparently.

Thanks for the replies anyone. I'm already working with the insurance company, and have an appointment tuesday at a local shop. (not the one working on my audi...lesson learned there).
Old 12-24-2010, 01:47 AM
elzergone
Pro

Now somehow the owner of the tow company got wind of this and called me today. He was saying that its normal procedure to use a front wheel as a winch point, and that the issues may have been caused by getting stuck in the snow, and that I could always bring my car there for them to look at...

Uhg. Am I wrong in thinking this guy is just trying to buck responsibility?
Old 12-24-2010, 02:11 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How fast did you hit the snow?

If things are pulled forward out of whack, then it was the tow truck. If the are pushed towards the rear, then it may have been from you...but I think you would have to hit it hard and there would be some spoiler damage to boot.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:40 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Now somehow the owner of the tow company got wind of this and called me today. He was saying that its normal procedure to use a front wheel as a winch point, and that the issues may have been caused by getting stuck in the snow, and that I could always bring my car there for them to look at...

Uhg. Am I wrong in thinking this guy is just trying to buck responsibility?
Hitting a snowbank could damage the steering and supension. Getting pulled out by a wheel could do that too.

You have to look at what they pulled on what you hit and compare it to what happend. If all is straight, but you just need an alignment then it not big deal. Front end alignments are easy. Just need a tape measure.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Woody
Racer

Consider the tow truck's insurance company if it looks like they did it. I have never seen a tow truck pull a car by a wheel unless it was complete loss. The steering linkage is too week.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:55 PM
elzergone
Pro

It was a very low speed incident. I was going about 25, which is about as physically fast as you CAN go with Spikes Spiders on. I didn't plow into a snow bank - this guy behind me decided to pass me with about 2 inches to spare, so I moved over a tad, and the deeper snow on the edge of the road caught me. I couldn't turn out of it, so the car just kinda came to a stop in the snow.

The guy had me sit in the car with my foot on the brakes as he dragged me out by the drivers side wheel, sideways, with a tow strap through the spokes and around the tire.

My insurance company is dealing with the tow truck drivers insurance as far as I know - which is why I was surprised to get a call out of nowhere from him.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:50 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way what you describe could have done that...and unless I read it wrong...it would have been on the opposite side if you did do it somehow.

I would only deal with your insurance company. Do not deal with him directly. Unless he is going to pay you cash for the repairs because he does not want to make a claim. You can show him the claim and take photos, but if he wants to see the car he can go to the repair shop himself.

Others may have better advise - I've never been in your shoes. But protecting your a$$ and your rights is #1 - whatever he wants is second to that.

Quick Reply: Tow truck winched me out by the front wheel.