Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help identify this part

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Keaton944
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help identify this part

You know when you change your oil and try all you can to minimize oil spilling all over this thing when you remove the oil filter. Well either no one took as much precaution as I have or despite all the towels and wal-mart sack trick i still managed to get oil all over this rubber bushing thing and well it has expanded and now cracked.

This needs replaced on both my 86 and 87. Obviously only on the passenger side where the oil filter spills oil all over it.

My question is, what is this bushing called? And what is the rod called that it supports? The rod goes to both wheels control arms.

I'm hoping with the problem with oil spilling on these yall will be like ohhhh ya thats a so and so people have to replace them all them time b/c of the oil =)

Anyways here are the pics.

Thanks,
Keaton
Attached Images   
Old 01-05-2011, 06:40 PM
zeusrotty
Pro

Sway bar bushing.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Keaton944
Instructor

less than 5mins! thanks i love you guys.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And its your power steering fluid eating it.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Keaton944
Instructor

nice, some reading on these explains why i was starting to experience some body lean when making corners.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Keaton944
Instructor

What makes you say power steering Doug? The stuff on it appears to be old oil. doesnt look like PS fluid and i dont seem to be loosing PS fluid or notice any leaks or floor drips around/under the PS when its parked. Sometimes the 87 will be parked for weeks at a time before i drive it during the winter. I mostly just start it and drive it a little to keep the battery charged and what not.

The 86 gets driven every day.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

Buy a cheap Metric Caliper to measure the diameter of the sway bar to know what size to order. Dawn Dish Soap helps ease on the bushing and washes off.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 01-05-2011, 09:39 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grandpa#3
Buy a cheap Metric Caliper to measure the diameter of the sway bar to know what size to order. Dawn Dish Soap helps ease on the bushing and washes off.

Cheers,
Larry
Thanks LARRY!

Have a new pair of bushings for my car that I picked up yesterday and was thinking about what to lubricate with.

Not to hijack the thread bit this is another question that is very on topic, what about the bracket. it is one piece so do I just bend it open gently or is there another way. As you can see in the picture mine is swelled up from leaking oil so getting the old bushing out of the bracket will take a nice sized opening.

Sorry about the lack of focus
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

No problem removing the rubber bushing. Just bend the clamp out enough to slide the old bushing out where you can cut it with a box blade. You might need a drift to hammer it out if it is stuck. Remember to always cut away from yourself. Clean the sway bar good so the new bushing slides on OK.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 01-06-2011, 02:07 AM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Keaton944
What makes you say power steering Doug?
look again and you'll see the PS pump is right above it. it might not be leaking now but given the 944's power steering system it USED to leak. regular motor oil doesn't eat rubber like that.

Mine was worse than yours--it was SO bad it wouldn't stay in the housing any more and I was able to tear it off the bar with my bare hands!
Old 01-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Keaton944
Instructor

ya, the PS pump and hoses and the oil pressure gauge were all covered in oil when i got the car. Whoever had it before was sloppy on the oil changes.

But i see what you mean, in the case of the pictures posted of the 86, it is so bad it is coming apart. On the 87 it is just swollen.

I guess i should park the 86 and get this changed out before its gets worse and comes completely apart.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:29 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Keaton944
ya, the PS pump and hoses and the oil pressure gauge were all covered in oil when i got the car. Whoever had it before was sloppy on the oil changes.

But i see what you mean, in the case of the pictures posted of the 86, it is so bad it is coming apart. On the 87 it is just swollen.

I guess i should park the 86 and get this changed out before its gets worse and comes completely apart.
They arent covered in oil, they are covered in Dextron ATF (the recommended fluid to use in our PS systems).

If your system has PS fluid in it, that MAY be contributing to the weeping that is causing your bushing degredation... (Both the ATF and PS fluid are hydraulic fluids, and each attacks rubber, makes it swell and crack, then degrade and eventually fall completely off... just a little experiment.. pour some ATF in a glass, and drop in the remaining rubber bushing once you get it off... over time the bushing will totally disintegrate.. put the other side in motor oil... over time you will have an oily bushing, but it will retain its shape without degredation)

The seals, orings, and such in our PS systems are Viton, and are resistant to ATF.. not so much to PS fluid...

I just rebuilt my 951 PS system last year, and it has been totally leak free since, I reserviced the system with ATF.. and only use ATF in my 944 PS systems...
Old 01-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Keaton944
Instructor

Interesting, thanks John. Now all these post about wanting to convert to manual steering are starting to make sense =)
Old 01-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd replace all the sway bushings while you're under there. 2 inner, 2 outer and the 2 pieces on each side of the end links.

Quick Reply: help identify this part