Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 968 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ARM993
Thanks for the comments guys. Car has 103k miles and has been locally owned by the two previous owners who both live within 15 minutes. I've had fun going over the car a couple of times this week. A few things to do but nothing too bad. Charlie, thanks for the feedback on the cam tensioners. I'll have a look when I get in there and do some proactive maintenance. Damian, I love that speed yellow cab. Did you have it down in Eureka Springs, Arkansas for Porsche Palooza in 06? Swear I've seen it in person.
Not me Andy, it must've been one of the other 9 speed yellow cabs.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:36 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the warm welcome all. I see there are a few 968 guys doing track work and club racing. Look forward to some other threads on that topic to see what you guys have done to prep the car. I like the LS conversions with the 968. I'll be leaving the 3L in place though as I like the balance of power and handling in the car at the moment. But I'm sure I'll want some more power at some point and may look towards a turbo conversion.

Damian, I guess it was one of the other 9 cars. Man, that is a small and unique group of cars. I don't know the production numbers but it seems like about 1 in 4 of these cars was produced as a black coupe! Thanks for the heads up on the 968 board as well. I found it.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:14 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

just while we're on the subject, (for the street), i can't resist but mention that a typical LS conversion adds about 25~30 pounds to the front of our cars. this additional weight up front reduces understeer. adding weight surely isn't the way to go about this, but the weight can be removed elsewhere.... after adding bigger wheels, you can go to very wide front tires, like a 245 or 255, while not going quite so wide in back (you could stay like around 275~285 rear)....

the larger front tires will compensate nicely for the weight.... adding huge brake rotors to overcome the new found horsepower, adds even more unspring weight, but, also would be helping to anchor the car as a net benefit (provided the road surface is smooth). this combination will really help the front of the car "dig in."

you can add a Deutsch-9 rear seat delete liner, and go to lighter "sport" seats in the front.... there is also the new, D-9 993 headlamp conversion (ultra-lightweight lamps), allowing the deletion of the motors. 968 fenders are already pretty light so there's not much weight difference. but, they're talking about doing some carbon fiber fenders which will be stiffer for when an LS car would be at top speed.

run a y-pipe to a lighter, single exhaust saves even more weight over the heavy, 968 exhaust. add an M-030 sway bar and strut brace..... replace worn castor blocks (lower control arm rear bushings), struts and shocks and a street car is going to feel pretty good.

Quick Reply: New 968 Owner