Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early 944 chipped ecu's, i have a couple interesting ones

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 04:47 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early 944 chipped ecu's, i have a couple interesting ones

This first post worth of photos of the innards of a "supposid" JET chip setup. There are several stickers on the outside that say JET and have a 2001 date and a serial # on them.

This ECU was in one of my 84 944 when I bought it 3+ years ago. Car ran like total ****, mostly I think with all the because of other items on the motor (Modded MAF, B&B oversized intake plentum, turbo injectors, etc). I yanked all that mess, including the ECU, and went back to all stock parts and car ran/runs great. However, I never tried the ECU after taking off the external motor parts so no clue if the ****ty running was ECU induced.

To me, this sucker looks just like a stock ecu. chips all looked the same. Almost think someone stuck stickers on there as a hoax, selling snake oil or something?

Tom
Attached Images   
Old 01-09-2011, 04:53 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

This chipped ECU, I am not sure of the brand/make but it was in my other 944. a 84 944 automatic. Funny is that it has a toggle switch that has stock and power positions. you can see how they did it, it's tied into a 'daughter board' that is then soldered into the main board via the original chip location. They also removed two other chips from the board too.

Unsure of the brand, anyone recognize?

This one i can tell you for certain that it runs differently when the toggle is in the 'power' position. I always run 87 octane gas but never noticed a pinging or nocking noise in either toggle position.

Tom

I'm mostly posting these out for comments , ideas, etc. and i'm board and its too cold outside to play in the garage.
Attached Images   
Old 01-10-2011, 04:48 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

looks like my ecu with the switch is a power prom setup.

http://www.powerprom.com/adapter.htm
Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Kerry Chadderton
Racer

That's interesting! You said there is a difference when you switch to "power". Is it a good difference? I read through that PowerProm sight about a month ago and have thought about doing the mod. I don't know though. Everything I've read otherwise tells me there's not much that can be done to the 8-valve n/a to get great power gains.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:35 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

The chip setup was alreadsy in the car when I purchased the car last year. Looking at the sticker on the chip, my guess is that I have an original(first gen) style. Looks like they have had a few iterations since. I'm gonna try and email the company to see what improvements / changes they have made.

Yes, I can tell a difference between the two positions. Seems to be a little quicker revving if you're in neutral and blip the throttle. Also seems to have a tad bit more take off umph too.

I'm planning to plop the ecu in my race car next time I take it to the dyno. Granted, I could not use the ecu if I stick with 944 spec, but in GTS1 class I can do whatever I want.....

Tom
Old 01-11-2011, 09:54 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

The chip with switch is an FRWilk PowerProm...well known in the 944 community. He is banned from RL for selling with lack of sponsorship (I think)...but may still lurk at Pelican.

His chips are/were very well regarded....I had one that I never installed (same kit as yours with the switch) and sold it after I sold my 84 NA.

I agree...the other DME looks stock.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Kerry Chadderton
Racer

Well post back here when you get around to the dyno pull. I'd be really interested to see that!
Old 01-12-2011, 03:59 PM
dleano944
Advanced

if you really want to chip the early 944 use this method, i can assure it works as i am currently running an FRWILK chip in my car, thanks to this.

http://www.powerprom.com/bmw027.htm

Quick Reply: Early 944 chipped ecu's, i have a couple interesting ones