Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 Fuel injectors help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 05:40 PM
flightline
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 951 Fuel injectors help!

I recently bought a 951 with a host of modifications and I'm now trying to fix a leak at the fuel rail. The car has a lindsey racing rail and bosch 0280150400 injectors. These injectors have an unusual "tail" shape that is smaller than what I believe is the stock 0280150803 injectors. Here's the comparison:
0280150400:

0280150803:

My injectors have what looks like an adapter to allow the 400s to work with the stock rail:

(sorry for the poor picture quality)

Here's what happened:
So I was pulling to park the car when the idle became eratic and there was a very powerful smell of fuel. Of course I shut the car off immediately and opened the hood to find out that the rear mounting bolt on the fuel rail had come completely out of the intake manifold and fuel was spewing from the #4 injector at the junction with the rail. I had trouble getting the rail to seat back down onto the injectors as everything was at an angle, so removed both bolts and removed the rail completely. However the #2 injector separated between the adapter and the injector, leaving the injector in the manifold and the adapter in the rail. When I tried to put everything back the o-ring that seals the adapter to the injector got pinched and ripped. Now I need to find a source for that o-ring, but the only seal kits I've found for Bosch injectors are for the "stock" style, and do not include this particular seal.

Can anyone shed some light on why/how this system was implemented or where I might be able to find parts for this setup? I've about exhausted the limits of my google-fu, but if anyone has any tips for what to call these parts in a search that would be great.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:08 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried to contact Lindsey?

They should have seals for the injectors...

OR

You could buy the OEM replacement injectors... I have never been a fan of the AM injectors that require adapters, nor some of the other pieces you have in your system... but that is just my opinion...

Witchhunter and Marren also sell injectors that will fit the 944 Turbo, and have the correct impedance... 2.2 Ohms is too low for the turbo IMHO.. the 4.7 are the correct impedance... both are considered "low" impedance injectors, however they ARE different!

OH, and PM Ramius665 about his story of the rail coming off the #4 injector.. IIRC his car almost burnt to the ground for the same reason!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:21 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

I've got a set of OEM injectors for sale if you need them...
Old 02-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Yarf
Racer

Take a good O ring to a Auto parts store a see if they have what you need.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:21 PM
flightline
Instructor

Is "AM" the name for that style of injector tail? Before this incident the car ran great so I'm not really interested in changing anything, just getting it running again. I think this time I'll just add some threadlocker and/or a lockwasher to the rail bolts. I'm planning on calling lindsey and powerhaus who also did some work on the car in the morning.

I took the remains of my O-ring to advance autoparts and tried to find a similar one, but the only one they had of the same ID had a much larger cross section. I tried it anyway (it was worth a shot I guess) but it suffered the same fate. I also tried to pick up a seal kit from the stock injectors (#274081) for the large top orings but they were too large.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:25 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

AM = After Market.. not OEM

Try getting in touch with Vic and Mike/Dave, one of them should be able to un-ravel it for you.. or assist.. unless someone here has the same setup and can advise....
Old 02-21-2011, 08:29 PM
flightline
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
AM = After Market.. not OEM

Try getting in touch with Vic and Mike/Dave, one of them should be able to un-ravel it for you.. or assist.. unless someone here has the same setup and can advise....
Ah. . .that makes sense. I guess technically I do have OEM injectors, just not OE injectors. Both are Bosch.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:33 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by flightline
Ah. . .that makes sense. I guess technically I do have OEM injectors, just not OE injectors. Both are Bosch.
Yes I suppose you do...

Good luck!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:51 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

those are injectors from ford 5.0 CPI motors (throttle-body injection) found on mustangs, crown vics, etc. they are 42# units, a bit of an upgrade from the stock injectors.

i have a few of them on hand i was considering using for my 944 as well, funny you have them already. i would be interested in seeing more of this 'adapter', it looks like they machined on the proper o-ring section?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:15 PM
flightline
Instructor

The adapters have an o-ring groove as well as smaller grooves that look designed to accept the oe retaining clips, which the lindsey rail doesn't use, so I don't think these can be completely bespoke. Also, the oring in the borg warner kit didn't fit this o-ring groove correctly, so it looks like a different ring was specced for the adapter. If I don't manage to figure this out with lindsey or powerhaus I'm going to head down to a rubber and gasket shop and see if I can't find something closer than they had at advance.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:59 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

PM sent.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a set of Siemens Deka 83# injectors I don't need if you need a set. Don't know what your HP goal is.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:02 AM
flightline
Instructor

I found an interesting page that shows one way of adapting this style of injector using simply a nylon washer and an o-ring:

http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~am..._028050403.htm

It looks much simpler than the adapter setup on mine, which might be a good thing.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:10 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by flightline
I found an interesting page that shows one way of adapting this style of injector using simply a nylon washer and an o-ring:

http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~am..._028050403.htm

It looks much simpler than the adapter setup on mine, which might be a good thing.
That was the page I was referencing while considering my own use of these injectors...the injectors they list (403's) are from the HO versions of the 5.0CPI motor and flow around 55#. The o-ring/spacer trick should work for your injectors as well.

If anyone wants to try these out, I have 5 I'll sell for $50
Old 02-23-2011, 06:11 PM
flightline
Instructor

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I never did figure out where this setup came from (Lindsey says it isn't theirs, haven't heard back from Powerhaus), but I found an oring to successfully seal the injector at Raleigh Rubber and Gasket. They didn't even charge me for the oring it wasn't even worth their trouble. I ended up with a 5mm x 1.5mm ring, which, when stretched out over the ~8mm injector tail fit snugly in the adapter. I've tightened down the rail with M6x20 bolts with plain and lockwashers and 242 (blue) loctite. I'll be putting a dab of inspectors lacquer on them so I can periodically check them for loosening. Now I'm going to go for a drive.

Edit: Got a call from David Raines at Powerhaus literally minutes after pulling out for the first time after fixing the injector seal. Turns out he did make the turned aluminum adapters on there. So there you go, if you want to use these or the 403s you might want to give him a call. They work great on my car.

Last edited by flightline; 02-24-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Quick Reply: 951 Fuel injectors help!