Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Wetter

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Severian
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have any experience with Zerex G-05?
Old 03-15-2011, 02:52 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zerex is the maker of Porsche factory antifreeze for older cars.
Years ago, Audi recommended water wetter in their cars to the dealer, as a TSB, for certain cooling issues. Every one of them came back for a new water pump inside 1500 miles. You should not have to use Water Wetter. Its like slick-50 for the cooling.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:01 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run G05 in my PowerStroke diesel

Before my car was full track I ran the blue VW coolant G11. The blue stuff is no longer available so now you have to run the pink.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:53 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Originally Posted by whalebird
Zerex is the maker of Porsche factory antifreeze for older cars.
Years ago, Audi recommended water wetter in their cars to the dealer, as a TSB, for certain cooling issues. Every one of them came back for a new water pump inside 1500 miles. You should not have to use Water Wetter. Its like slick-50 for the cooling.
So has anyone (this year) added Water Wetter to their DW/Coolant mix?

Got Sludge?

Or had anyone added it last year? Results?

Thanks!
(seeking experiences; not jabbing at whalebird)
Old 07-02-2012, 11:36 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I have used it in my old RZ350 and never had an issue
Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 AM
flashx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a customer that had a 2 year old S-10 pickup. The heater stopped working so he brought it in for me to check out. Hose going into heater core was hot going into the heater core. cold coming out. The dex cool had crystalized so badly that it clogged up the heater core. Back flushing fixed it Most mechs I know change it over to green stuff
Old 07-03-2012, 11:43 AM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Hmmm..
From the RedlineOil website for WW:
"Compatible with new or used antifreeze (including DEX-COOL and long-life versions) to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems"..

-- Wouldn't RL's lawyers have insisted upon an asterisk somewhere on the bottle or the website for crystalization/gel issues?
WW has been around for at least 10 years from posts I've seen dating to 2002.

Not being a fanboy, just trying to contrast antecdotal successes with failures.
Thanks for comments!
Old 12-12-2016, 09:49 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

For those guys with race cars in the north. My car is in my exposed garage all winter. It gets cold. Do you remove your water/wetter mixture and replace with antifreeze? Thank you.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:54 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 993944S2
For those guys with race cars in the north. My car is in my exposed garage all winter. It gets cold. Do you remove your water/wetter mixture and replace with antifreeze? Thank you.
when I was running a track bike I replaced the water wetter with a proper antifreeze mix over the winter. Make sure it gets into the whole system. I know of a couple of people who had blocks crack who didn't change to antifreeze over the winter
Old 12-13-2016, 04:38 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

A couple of notes on antifreeze, etc. Whatever you do, do NOT, under any circumstances, mix dex-cool with green antifreeze prestone, zerex etc,. It turns the coolant into a sludge and will do great harm to your pocketbook and cooling system. Check out the various websites for the major manufacturers of coolants to find the best ones. For VW's and Audis, Porsche, MB, and other European vehicles, I recommend to customers in my store that they use the Pentosin products. I do this for at least 2 reasons. 1. It's a great product line and user friendly to aluminum and other metals of European alloy. 2. It covers my butt from possible litigation..since it's a European product for a European car. If the customer wants to go with something cheaper, Prestone, etc, then I suggest a full flush and full change to whatever he/she wants to go with. I intend to run Pentosin in mine (when I get it on the road). Therefore I wouldn't suggest anything less for my customer. The reason I wish to run Pentosin? It's available.. and at about the same cost (less?) than the dealership, from coast to coast at AutoZone stores. I presume that this holds true for other chain stores as well..I am currently employed at AZ (part time) but I still put my customers first, and try to help them as much as I can. I am hourly, and so commission isn't a factor. I try to treat them as good as I would treat myself. (Sorry for the rant)...but I felt that I needed to explain myself somewhat. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:35 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
I have used it in my old RZ350 and never had an issue
Wow, you have one too? Can't be many of us 944/RZ350 owners
Old 12-13-2016, 07:04 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Castrol NF. Boiling point @ 50% - 129°C

Red audi/vw stuff eats away some metals so I don't use it even in audi.

Last edited by Voith; 12-13-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:42 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Severian
Does anyone have any experience with Zerex G-05?
I've used it in two 944's, currently in my '86 for the last 6 years. No issues, and the system is clean as a whistle. I change it every 3 years, no matter what type of AF I use.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:28 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 151 Posts

I'm using G05 in all my aluminum blocked German cars.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:01 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
A couple of notes on antifreeze, etc. Whatever you do, do NOT, under any circumstances, mix dex-cool with green antifreeze prestone, zerex etc,. It turns the coolant into a sludge and will do great harm to your pocketbook and cooling system. Check out the various websites for the major manufacturers of coolants to find the best ones. For VW's and Audis, Porsche, MB, and other European vehicles, I recommend to customers in my store that they use the Pentosin products. I do this for at least 2 reasons. 1. It's a great product line and user friendly to aluminum and other metals of European alloy. 2. It covers my butt from possible litigation..since it's a European product for a European car. If the customer wants to go with something cheaper, Prestone, etc, then I suggest a full flush and full change to whatever he/she wants to go with. I intend to run Pentosin in mine (when I get it on the road). Therefore I wouldn't suggest anything less for my customer. The reason I wish to run Pentosin? It's available.. and at about the same cost (less?) than the dealership, from coast to coast at AutoZone stores. I presume that this holds true for other chain stores as well..I am currently employed at AZ (part time) but I still put my customers first, and try to help them as much as I can. I am hourly, and so commission isn't a factor. I try to treat them as good as I would treat myself. (Sorry for the rant)...but I felt that I needed to explain myself somewhat. Thanks.
+1. I ran Dex-cool because it was phosphate free, and I guess I didn't do a 100% job of getting out the old coolant out. There was sludge within months, it was a pain in the dick to get it clean again. There's no reason to ever run Dex-cool in these cars, ordinary green Prestone is just fine. I know the phosphate-free guys will tell you that's wrong, but with distilled water, you aren't going to run into issues with mineral plating. My motor was run with it before I got it, and after all these years it's minty fresh in there. Just change it on time and use proper distilled water.

Quick Reply: Water Wetter