Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do these symptoms sound like a Ring and Pinion failure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:50 AM
nzporsche944s2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update

Lemming - you were right!

I dropped the gearbox off for checking at Motorscience but at the same time i decided to keep going and check the clutch out. I had a nagging doubt that it may be the clutch and if it wasn't then at the very least I could replace the rear main seal and any other worn parts. What the hey I was half way there anyway....

So finally tonight we got the clutch out and there it was clear as day catastrophic rubber centred clutch failure!
This was a little odd because the symptoms didn't exactly match other clutch failures posted here in the forums. What I can see now is that entire second layer of the rubber disc furthest from the plate had disintegrated. This gave the centre of the clutch so much movement that the 3 metal dogs couldn't do their job properly and were slipping inder the tabs under power and load. This was giving the "ice cube in a blender" sound!

In a way I'm relieved because at least I can quantify the problem now and start ordering the parts. Up until now it was an unknown.

Over the next few days I'll take the flywheel off and and get to the rear main seal and start getting my order together.

I'll post a pic of the car-nage tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help along my journey....
Old 03-29-2011, 06:59 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool, glad it was only the clutch! PM me if you need any advice, tools etc.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 03-29-2011, 04:51 PM
nzporsche944s2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the pic as promised. One thing I forgot to mention is that when I took the starter motor out and the inspection bung there were no chunks of rubber that I had been told to look out for. Only some very fine powder which I took to be clutch plate material. The rubber had broken off in big chunks and those had all been captured under the pressure plate...
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by nzporsche944s2
Update

Lemming - you were right!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:56 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For ****s and gigs, how many clutches have you burned up racing over the years Lemming?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
For ****s and gigs, how many clutches have you burned up racing over the years Lemming?
None. One was destroyed when I sheared all of the flywheel bolts and the flywheel attacked the clutch.

I run a pretty stout clutch for my HP (Spec stage 3) and racing really isn't that hard on them. So, I'm on my second clutch since I built FrankyI a few years ago.

Now, don't ask me how many short shift kits I've killed

Quick Reply: Do these symptoms sound like a Ring and Pinion failure?