Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Steering rack seal kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 12:18 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Best Steering rack seal kit?

I did some searching but there seems to be limited info on this. My rack is leaking from the boots pretty badly. Luckily I caught it before the reservoir went dry. I usually have far better luck rebuilding my own stuff if parts and procedures are available than buying a rebuilt unit. Also my car has pretty low mileage so I would hate to get a re-sealed rack in worse mechanical condition that the one in my car.

I see rennbay has a kit, as does 944online. Anyone have experience with either? Who is more complete? What are they missing if anything?

Thanks
Nick
Old 06-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Melchior
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told that the leaks usually are from the copper crush washers failing over time...just get the kit from 944online and tighten everything back up
Old 06-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ClassJ
I did some searching but there seems to be limited info on this. My rack is leaking from the boots pretty badly. Luckily I caught it before the reservoir went dry. I usually have far better luck rebuilding my own stuff if parts and procedures are available than buying a rebuilt unit. Also my car has pretty low mileage so I would hate to get a re-sealed rack in worse mechanical condition that the one in my car.

I see rennbay has a kit, as does 944online. Anyone have experience with either? Who is more complete? What are they missing if anything?

Thanks
Nick
I've used the ones from Rennbay, 944online, and KLA before. Unless I've missed something, they are identical. They are all overly complete, as in, you will probably have stuff left over.

The only thing I can recommend is that while you're in there, check the spring that controls the variable steering, if it's broken (which I've seen a few times) replace it with the closest spring you can find. You'll probably have to go to a specialty hardware store for that one. We have Tacoma Screw here, but I don't know what's around you. Also, grease the bearing that the steering shaft ends in... and if it falls apart, you're not exactly screwed, but the fix becomes interesting... if that happens, ask and I'll tell you how I fixed mine.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:40 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys...sounds like it is going to be a fun repair. I wonder if the workshop manual covers rebuilding the rack, going to pull it out now and look. My guess is nope.

I went for a quick ride today and lost about 2oz of fluid. Boots are just filling up.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:44 PM
kombatrok
Pro

I have a quick steering rack question, sorry to hijack.

Are all 944/951 steering racks the same or were there changes over the years? Can I drop a rack from an early NA in my Turbo?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys...sounds like it is going to be a fun repair. I wonder if the workshop manual covers rebuilding the rack, going to pull it out now and look. My guess is nope.

I went for a quick ride today and lost about 2oz of fluid. Boots are just filling up.
Rennbay has a tutorial:
http://www.rennbay.com/psrsealkitfull.html
Just take your time, and it should go smoothly. WYAI, I would recommend replacing the rack mount bushings, if you've been leaking like that, they've been soaked and are probably pretty done. Replace all crush washers too. Also, its recommended to replace your resivoir too as it contains the PS filter.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:37 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Thanks...at this point I am basically trying to decide how long I want to tie up the car for. I still may bite the bullet and get a rack, not sure yet.

Reservoir is on my list for sure. Going to check all of the hoses as well. Also going to do mounts and boots.

I am not sure it makes sense but it seemed to blow out pretty suddenly. I did an oil change a few weeks ago, everything was dry, belly pan looked good. I went for a ride on memorial day and came home to a puddle in the driveway.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Thanks...at this point I am basically trying to decide how long I want to tie up the car for. I still may bite the bullet and get a rack, not sure yet.

Reservoir is on my list for sure. Going to check all of the hoses as well. Also going to do mounts and boots.

I am not sure it makes sense but it seemed to blow out pretty suddenly. I did an oil change a few weeks ago, everything was dry, belly pan looked good. I went for a ride on memorial day and came home to a puddle in the driveway.
Resealing my rack only took a day, taking my time and lots of breaks. As for the sudden leaks, I had the same thing happen. I have no explanation, but it happened, and resealing it fixed it...
Old 06-10-2011, 09:05 AM
kwikt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with the Rennbay kit for my 968. Very complete kit with only one O ring left over. The only problem I had when assembling is I had installed a seal backwards which caused a huge leak in the boot area. After talking with Travis at Rennbay I disassembled the rack again and installed a new seal correctly. NO LEAKS!!!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

I vote for Travis at Rennbay. Just got my parts from him to do the timing/balance belts, water pump, front engine seals, power steering pump kit and power steering rack kit. Travis is really knowledgeable and helpful. Very good instructions for the kit on Rennbay.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get my power steering rack apart and will have to return my kit to Travis. As an alternative, I am going with a cheap rebuilt rack from Autozone. I wish I could rebuild my existing rack.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:16 PM
kwikt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with the Autozone first but only lasted 2 months till leaking like a sprinkler. I returned the Autozone rack for a full refund allthough I still kept my oe rack instead as my core. Rebiult it with the Rennbay kit and could'nt be happier.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:10 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just rebuilt my spare power rack with the Rennbay seal kit..... Wife is happy and can park the beast in our driveway now.

The needle bearing on the bottom cam be punched out with a 1/4" drive 10mm deep socket in order to get a punch on the back side of the inner pinion shaft pressed-in seal.

+2 on Paying attention to the direction the wiper seals come out, go in.

Great product for sure.

Quick Reply: Best Steering rack seal kit?