Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Return of an eBay/Porsche Scammer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 02:21 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Return of an eBay/Porsche Scammer?

Hey guys - don't bring the flames just yet, I am throwing this out there right now.

My yahoo email just picked up a message in the spam folder.

It was from "doanhartford@aol.com" with the subject "Re:"

I always delete these if they are clearly spams like "make your **** bigger, etc." but anything else I google the email address first and if it comes up with shady results or complaints I delete it.

It came up in google's search that he appears to be a guy in or around Hartford/Wallingford, CT and had multiple ebay accounts, there was even a short thread about a link to him being discussed on here from 2007.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ynemonemo.html

I am not going to open the email, but I can tell you I have not bought any parts off of ebay in a long, long time.

This is only my assumption at the moment but either the email address has become hijacked as a spammer, or maybe he is targeting Rennlisters, because I don't know how they would have gotten my email address.

Anyone else have this happen lately? I have no idea what to make of it.

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:48 AM
flat12boxer
Racer

Just got another one this morning, contemplating on opening one up. Anyone else get anything?
Old 07-05-2011, 10:59 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Open in your browser - should be OK. Use Chrome or Firefox to open if you use windows...sounds like you are worried about a virus.

Just don't click on link or attachment if you are worried. SPAM does not imply infected.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:55 AM
flat12boxer
Racer

Cannon, thanks for replying, I do always use firefox.

I checked them out and both were hijacked/spam emails. One had an html link to a bogus dating site, the other to a bogus facebook style site (obviously I didn't click on them). The spam emails listed only 5 or 6 addresses on the recipient list rather than a huge spam blast, so they must be picking up a few addresses with a spider here or there.

I never dealt with this guy on ebay, RL or on the internet in general, so it must have traced past internet posts/records from looking for Porsche stuff. So if you get stuff from this email address, just delete it as his rep doesn't look too great as far as google's results show.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:04 AM
ron.eddy
Advanced

Maybe its just anecdotal but since the big Sony playstation network hack my gmail has been inundated with spam from people I am somehow linked to (whether through common membership at a site like rennlist or because of interests). I have a feeling those millions of username/passwords that were leaked were used for such purposes. And I should mention my gmail has been completely spam free since I got my account many many years ago until after that sony breach.

Quick Reply: Return of an eBay/Porsche Scammer?