Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:10 PM
yorkee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC issue

Hi, I have several AC issues you guys may be able to give me some pointers.

I have a 84 na. It is blowing icy cold ac for maybe 5 minutes, then it will blow warm air for a bit... actually not warm, but warmer then icy cold ac, then after a few minutes it blow icy cold air again. Is it something works as design? or something wrong?

Also, I don't have ac on my leg room. Indeed, I don't think I don't feel like I have a vent in my leg room. However, I see a huge duct under the glove box area close to the door. What should I look for first?

Lastly, water is dripping underneth the glove box. I took out the cover and turn out the water is come from the AC pipe. the bolt is not covered by any padding. Will normal water pipe wrap fix the problem? Or I need something more specific to wrap the pipe?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-12-2011, 01:36 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your evaporator may be "freezing up"

I am not sure what you mean by AC pipe and cover or bolt. Maybe you mean AC evaporator housing drain????

First, unblock the AC evaporator drain tube. Your tube should be similiar to my '87 924S. It will be by the passenger left foot toes under the carpet.

Unblock the tube. I have used a vacuum with a very small tube to get out the junk in the evaporator case. I slide a tube on the evaporator case nipple and then to the vac and suck out the dirt.

Also check to see if the fan foam screen has deterioated ----just look up under the passenger side and you will see the AC fan. This foam piece breaks apart and hinders the fan operation.

No AC in the drivers leg room is usually heater clips:
http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/for...num=1294689295
Old 07-12-2011, 02:07 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

check the amount of refrigerant in your system. what the cold-lesscold-cold might be is the cycling of the compressor, it doesn't constantly stay on, it goes on and off to maintain an average temperature in the cabin close to what you set it to (even though the blue **** is pretty vague). basically when its cold, the compressor is on and circulating refrigerant. when it gets a little warmer, air is just blowing past the cold evaporator with no circulating refrigerant, so it warms up a little.

john is correct regarding the ac drain. it should exit under the pass side of the car, yours might be clogged.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:49 PM
St3mpy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean about the a/c dripping, mine does it too. I've been thinking about covering it with something but haven't gotten around to it.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think John nailed it.

Quick Reply: AC issue