Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 no crank situation. Newb needs help

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 12:38 PM
turboxr
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 no crank situation. Newb needs help

Hi all.

Disclaimer: Yes, I have searched and have employed what I've learned.

I'm working on a buddy's 88 944S. One day he comes out to the garage and it won't crank. So, he gets his manual out, learns how to jump the solenoid, jumps it, and it cranks right up. So right there, I'm thinking, this is a solenoid. Easy Peasy. This happens all the time on my Merkur XR4Ti's. So, he brings it over to my place, leaves it overnight, I head out, check it all out, do a visual inspection on the ignition relay, looks good, check for bad grounds, all seem to be in great shape, check the battery terminals- tight and look brand new. Then, pull the starter, take it to autozoo to check it and it checks out fine, solenoid and all. So, I scratch my head. I check the forums to see what other people have- lots of solenoids bad. So I check for power to the signal wire while the starter is off the car with a test light. With the key in the start position, it's got power to the signal wire while not connected to the starter. It's got constant power to the positive terminal on the solenoid.

So, here's the kicker, I'm thinking- I shouldn't trust Mr. Autozoo. Solenoid is probably bad so I pick up a brand new starter/solenoid for $120. Next morning, I install it- nothing. I check power to the signal wire again with it connected to the solenoid- no power this time in the start position to the signal. I disconnect the signal wire again and check power again in the start position- got power.

Pulling my hair out, someone please help me! I'm leaning towards a rouge ground? Maybe bad ignition relay even though everything looks brand new? I'm not thinking it's an ignition switch because I've got power to the signal. What's goin on here?

Any help would be a God send!
Old 08-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesttting

Try attatching a set of jumper cables to the battery to see what happens. Maybe the extra power will get it to crank

I'd also check the big main ground that runs from the battery to the back of the engine. I've had this disconnected, and still got cranking (although it was slow and crappy).

Also examine the wire that goes from the drivers side to the starter harness. It has a 2 pin plastic connector, one wire is blue (that goes to the alternator), the other is red / black. This goes from terminal 50 of the ignition switch to the starter. Thats the wire that should give the solenoid power.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:54 PM
turboxr
4th Gear

Thanks for the quick response!

I'll check the wire with the 2 pin connector. If I have to check the back of the ignition switch, how do I get at it? Manual tells me to pull the wheel, which would be no problem if it wasn't an airbag car. Anyway to get around pulling the wheel?
Old 08-15-2011, 02:32 PM
turboxr
4th Gear

I followed the wire up to the connector on the drivers side firewall and found something interesting:

Looks like someone added an aftermarket relay inline of the signal wire...
Old 08-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoaaaa. What is that

Get rid of that, and crimp the wires back together, then see what happens.

Edit- You can also pull the back of the ignition switch off without pulling the wheel. Just reach behind where the key goes and its a brown round connector. I wouldnt do this yet, I would fix that relay. I bet the relay burnt out because it probably couldnt handle the powwwaaa.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:40 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they probably added the relay as a kill switch.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:10 PM
turboxr
4th Gear

Jumped the relay and baddaboom! Ran down and grabbed another relay. All's well.

Quick Reply: 944 no crank situation. Newb needs help