Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid TDC Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 12:56 AM
FRZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stupid TDC Question

Ok I need to get the TDC. I know how. I get the OT in the window and the mark is centered uner the car near the starter.

My question is: I installed back my head, and THEN decided to set the TDC. But I dont see no more the cylinders. I just want to be sure that when the marks are aligned, its 100% cylinders #1 & #4 TDC and not other sometimes #2 & #3 cylinders TDC.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Last edited by FRZ; 08-20-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installing the head before setting the #1 piston to TDC is O.K. as long as you don't install the cam tower with it (all valves are closed with cam tower removed). Rotate the crank slowly until you see the OT mark line up in the bellhousing hole again. This is TDC for number 1 on power stroke. Now the tricky part is installing the cam tower without bending valves. Remember when #1 is at TDC, #4 is also at the top of the cylinder, 2 and 3 are at bottom. So you need to rotate the cam in the tower (before installation) and get it pretty close to the timing mark. When tightening down the cam tower bolts you may need to rig up a way to prevent the cam from turning (because some of the cam lobes will be trying to open valves - if a #1 or 4 valve tries to open while you tighten the cam tower down it could bend that valve).
Old 08-20-2011, 10:13 AM
FRZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dah.. forget my question.. I think I took too many beers last night and didn't took the time to think before ask something.. Big thanks for your answer! It will help other people anyways

For the cam belt this is what i'm gonna do if this can help other people:

0. Before I will rotate 90deg off the TDC flywheel mark to have the piston in the middle of the cylinder and be sure not bend any valve
1. Align the cam mark, torque down the cam housing;
2. The mark will maybe rotate a little, re-align the cam marks with a ratchet;
3. Rotate the crankshaft back to TDC (slowly to not bent any valve if something wrong);
4. Reinstall cam belt and talam!

Last edited by FRZ; 08-22-2011 at 04:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Stupid TDC Question