Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After a 2 year hiatus. New plans +new toy

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 02:26 AM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After a 2 year hiatus. New plans +new toy

(Skip story and go to paragraph 3 for new news)

Cliff Notes: Crashed 944 nearly 2 years ago. Car is sitting. Drivetrain/interior still good. Want help with ideas; get new car running; part car out? Have new toy. Pics!

It seems like it's been lightyears since I was behind the wheel of my 944, and I almost don't want to talk about it. Shortly before my lapse in activity here, my car was victim to a crash, totaling it and reducing it to a parts car of sorts. That was almost 2 years ago, this spring. Now, the keys hang at Charlesworth Inc. where Tom uses it to scrap parts here and there. A sad ending for something that was so fun and active. That's the best verb I could think of for the 951... "Active". Its a great car, and fun to drive. Doesn't look like very many other things on the road (don't start the whole Datsun Z thing... A "Z" looks iike a 951 in the same sense that a Charger looks like a new Camaro) and doesn't drive like much else either.

Part of me has moved on and the other is stuck. I want another one. I don't know where to move from here. I nearly bought couple different chassis' and almost gave the car up to Mr. Dick Dobson, if anyone here remembers. Sadly that venue took a sour turn as well. It seems as if there has just been a looming darkness around my 951. Shortly before it went, it got hit in a parking lot, and someone keyed it.

I have been on and off the forums for a while now, and I have now forced myself to get another membership. I can't leave this place! I love the resources around here. I need help. What I'm working with is a drivetrain that will need fixing up and I am in need of a new chassis. Basically, the car as a whole is not street worthy. Tom told me he wouldn't let me fix the the frame etc. if I wanted to. So I would really like to try saving up for a rolling car that can take my parts. I really don't want to travel far to get something though. I don't have the time, or the resources to travel states away. If I did, then this would have been taken care of long ago when I still had my insurance money.

The motor is good, sans a distributor and intake. I also suspect that due to weather, the turbo will need replacing. The transmission is good, and I figure all the go fast stuff will just need refreshing. The major part is cost. I replaced my fast car with a fast-er car and I am currently making payment on it. However, I will be getting a garage, and I would be delighted if I could start a slow project so that I can one day have another 944 Turbo. I don't want to buy a new one. I have enough parts to get one running. And I like all the memories with my car, so I'd really like to put as much of it into another car if I could.

I REALLY do not have too many details on my car as it is right now. I've seen it 4 or 5 times since I dropped it off at Charlesworth's. Seems like something small gets sold off of it every few months. Suffice to say, I would be 75% closer (toward a running car) if I had a 951 chassis that needs parts. I am in Tulsa, OK and all I'm really looking for from all you friends is some motivation and maybe a whisper in the trees on a good chassis or really any parts that I could look into. Any help and/or suggestions would be nice.

As I've eluded to- I'm not in a hurry. Still getting my finances laid out on my new toy, and looking to get a house, so it may be Spring before I really start moving on this. I'm posting now, because I really want to start researching and looking so I can be prepared. It ALWAYS helps to do your homework!

P.S. I HAVE thought about donating my car up for someone that needs a lot of good parts for their car. I'm on the fence and don't know what to do! All I know at this point is that I do NOT feel right letting the car rot. Thank you for your time!

Until I get a project plan laid out, I will leave you with some pictures of my new squeeze...

2002 Le Mans Blue M5
(X-pipe, Resonator delete, high-flow filters)

/ihatephotobucket.jpg
Old 10-31-2011, 02:49 AM
LP944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt know what to do if my 944 got totaled. Depending on how bad of condition the car is in I would try to restore it to its original glory! Hope you can achieve it! My plans for the car are always changing but I pretty much have the final sketch up now for all of the rennlisting 944 owners to see.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:42 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice E39! im jealous!

Quick Reply: After a 2 year hiatus. New plans +new toy