Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering buying 87 944, advice appreciated please

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 02:32 PM
justtins62490
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering buying 87 944, advice appreciated please

So I am thinking of buying an 87 944 with 94,000 on it for $1,800. This is my first Porsche so I'm looking for advice on if this car is worth buying and how much ill have to put into it. I drove it and it drives very well but it has a slight oil leak. Also the heat did not seem to work that good, and on top of that only the passanger side was blowing warm, the drivers side was cold. The seats are pretty badly ripped also. There is also many little things wrong like the door for the middle console is missing, no back wiper, sunroof hinges missing, water in taillights, and other misc things.
Like I said, I have never owned a Porsche before so I came here to ask if $1,800 is a good price for the car, and if its going to be a headache to find and fix all the little things that are wrong with it. Thanks
Old 11-19-2011, 03:04 PM
justtins62490
4th Gear

Just noticed I placed this in the wrong section, sorry
Old 11-19-2011, 03:09 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots to discuss...

First...Rennlist is a wealth of knowledge...use the search function.

Second...find a reputable shop and get a pre purchase inspection.

You can easily double your purchase price in required repairs like:

Clutch- can run around $1500

T-belt and water pump - can be around $900

GL and welcome to RL!
Old 11-19-2011, 03:26 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Sounds you listed many of the common Neglected items... if you keep one thing in mind, Within a short time you will easily have more into the car than it's worth, however its a passion for most and It will Always need something...
AS JBERK NOTED BEFORE- Most who are not mechanically inclined rely on a PPI, a pre-purchase inspection.
See what it has for service records, Timing belt/water pump changes are a "big deal" on these cars, clutches are expensive. Especially if you can't do it yourself. The orig clutches had a rubber center and they fail even if the disk thickness is good. see if it has been changed.

Check
www.Clarks-garage.com for manuals

support list members for parts:
www.rennbay.com
www.944online.com
www.paragonprouducts.com

The oil- Probbaly Oil pan gasket.
Heat- Plastic Heater Clip, and or needs cooling system to be bled.
Center console lid- very common break. Easy fix.
No back wiper- Get Delete plug.

IN 1987/88 Porsche built an "S" model. could it be an S?

$1,800 is a fair price for a well sorted,well documented car, However I would be inclined to start closer to $1400 or $1500....
Old 11-19-2011, 03:32 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

944 S type is giving top dollar in my opinion. Sight unseen, I would say $1000 and thats generous. All the things you listed are common on neglected cars and the cosmetics are just the tip. You can put $7k into one of these cars so easy and still have cosmetics to do.
I suggest looking for a well sorted 944, perhaps from a fellow R-lister and just pay up front for a good, well maintained example.
You will thank me later.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:43 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

It doesn't seem to matter. Unless it's an unusual case where the owner has recently, i.e., last two years, replaced the timing/balance belts and water pump, cars like this,(age and miles) are fraught with numerous maintenance issues. If you've got the time and want to become a closet expert by doing it all yourself, you'll get a wealth of an education and the costs will be much lower than taking it to a shop. If you see a small oil leak, that's likely to be the first of many because when one rubber oil seal leaks (due to harening from age) you can expect that all of the remaining rubber seals are likely to be in the same condition. The thing is, getting to each one is a major pain and requires dismantling major components of the car. For example: if the oil pan gasket is leaking in the rear main seal area, you have to drop the front suspension, steering, oil pan (22 bolts) and it's an art getting the pan back together successfully. If it's actually the rear main seal, the clutch/flywheel, bell-housing, transmission and various other parts have to be removed to get to the $5 seal.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it but if you really want to get one of these great cars, spend an extra thou or two to get one with better interior and in decent mechanical condition. Research here and then ask the seller to back up his maintenance history with receipts....no exceptions or your purchase experience will sour quickly. Take your time.

I paid $4K for mine with 120k miles and because it's my 3rd and I'm mechanically up to speed (fearless) I'm currently going through the entire engine front to back and doing all, repeat, all rubber seals, belts, gaskets, vacuum lines and rubber suspension and steering rack boots. It's a lot of work but because I'm keeping this one, I want it perfect mechanically. It's not a turbo or an S model but it gets 30mpg highway and corners like a slot car.

Good luck on this.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:27 AM
justtins62490
4th Gear

first off, thank you all for the input. I feel like now since I drove my first Porsche, I want nothing but lol. I love the car even though its old. I am going to check this site and see if someone is selling one in better condition. The one Im looking at does have a lot of issues, mostly minor though. But i dont want to buy it and have to shell out more than its worth. I do have some car repair experience, and from what I beleive the engine isnt that complex. This one isnt a turbo or anything. Another thing I forgot to post is that this one is an automatic which I like. Im not good with standards at all. How hard will it be to find an old Porsche automatic?
Old 11-20-2011, 02:33 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

learn to drive the stick.. it'll not only make you a better driver, but there's a lot of positives to go along... go easy with the clutch and gears in the beginning....but, within just a few days, you'll be a new man... and when you're done with everything the guys tell you to do, be sure to replace the fuel lines in the engine bay.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:12 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Either learn to drive a manual or look for a later car like a 90's tiptronic.

The early 3spd autos are said to be lousy transmissions.

Besides....its a sports car...
Old 11-20-2011, 09:25 AM
jcslocum
Instructor

Run! don't walk away from that car. If those are the little things that have been neglected then the major items are just WAITING to go....

Look for a good car that has been used regularly and pay a bit more up front.

Learn to drive stick! You need to be "involved" with this car to really enjoy it.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:34 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

where are you located?
Old 11-20-2011, 10:48 AM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by justtins62490
first off, thank you all for the input. I feel like now since I drove my first Porsche, I want nothing but lol. I love the car even though its old. I am going to check this site and see if someone is selling one in better condition. The one Im looking at does have a lot of issues, mostly minor though. But i dont want to buy it and have to shell out more than its worth. I do have some car repair experience, and from what I beleive the engine isnt that complex. This one isnt a turbo or anything. Another thing I forgot to post is that this one is an automatic which I like. Im not good with standards at all. How hard will it be to find an old Porsche automatic?
It's not the motor & other bites & pieces that will set you back with the auto but the tranny & damper God help you if the damper let go on it ,price for one is quote at over $1,200.00 & finding a use one will be next to impossible.Yes there is still some decent 944 auto for sale out there but lot harder to find than the five speed.No 951 (turbo) or S/S2 came with the auto so you'll be looking at an NA if you find one.Agree that you should maybe learn to drive a stick which will give you a lot more choice when buying a 944,but it also a question of personal taste.It will help if your location was knowne so that peoples spotting a decent car in your area can let you know.Btw you can't check the classifieds on RL unless your a paid member.One site you migth want to look at is (Pelican).GL
Old 11-20-2011, 12:25 PM
justtins62490
4th Gear

Im located right next to Boston, Ma in Lynn. I have been wanting a manual forever so I took an 04 Maxima out to test drive and learned the basics a few weeks ago. I wouldnt mind buying one but I think I would have to get a manual rent a car and beat on it to learn better. Basically I could put up like $2,500 for a car. I know its going to need some work but that fine. I just dont want something major to break too quickly
Old 11-20-2011, 01:13 PM
oyvindj
Cruisin'

Congratulations with your choice of car!

I just bought an 83' 944 GA. I would definately recommend to get as good a car as you can find, as there will be enough small things to fix on these old cars anyway, and the cost of fixing probably will exeed the savings of buying a cheaper car. Also, if you scan previous forum posts you will find that the attitude towards the automatic is very negative. I would have to agree on the basis of higher maintainance cost and that an automatic defeates the purpose of a sports car like this in my mind...

Wish you luck, it's a fantastisk car!

Oyvind
Old 11-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Xpit77
Racer

Justin,
I hope you find a good one.Keep looking.There`s a lot of better ones out there.
Learning how to drive a manual trans car is very difficult for a while.
Don`t try to learn with a 944 or a 51.
Having a auto trans takes away most of the fun.

Quick Reply: Considering buying 87 944, advice appreciated please