Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wiper Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 02:08 AM
River
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Wiper Electrical Issue

So, How's YOUR rear wiper doin'?

Well, the question is. Has anyone ever had a problem where the rear wiper's three wires were not connected and then had an electrical issue?

1988 944/2 NA btw...

Thanks in advance..
Old 11-29-2011, 11:33 AM
nasty9er
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just got rid on mine a week or two ago you can get the plugs off of ebay UK for around 20 bucks
Old 11-29-2011, 12:07 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Another vote to just delete it:

http://www.arnnworx.com/catalog/inde...roducts_id=205
Old 11-29-2011, 06:06 PM
River
Racer

Let me clarify the vagueness.

In a nut shell:

Took her to get window tint. Went to use rear wiper, nothing moved, then smoked. Opened rear wiper box, saw nothing connected and wires at the top fried. Remembered I signed four papers stating, "We are not responsible for anything...blah blah blah...". Later, when potential buyer started car, it smoked again. Badly. In the console area.

After, I clipped switch off and began the process to fix...whilst making peace of not having a rare piece of 944 history that actually worked...correctly...a *sniff/tear* rear wiper. Not that I really used it much, it was nice when back up in a parking lot or what not. Then, I pulled open the console and the real damage reared it's ugly head. Finally got to the point where on advice, to call tint place. They feel it's not their fault, but am waiting to hear from them since they are "consulting with a previous boss to see if it's possible".

I've talked to a few guys, and my local dealership on the matter. One thing stands true. Our grounds wires can go nuclear if crap happens. Which, is what I told the tint guy. Bare wires left back there=bad news for an already poor designed electrical system. We think it was: bare wires in back, touched metal wiper assembly, toasted wires at motor, pooped on the console switch. Switch melted, went nuclear (grounded itself...since it HAS A DAMN GROUND IN IT), and toasted wires around it. Tint guy says not possible, and that power goes from strongest to weakest (from closest to battery out). Checked grounds, things look good. Damage is central to console switch area, and rear wiper assembly.

Opinions, facts, wth happened here, etc. are all welcomed. I've made peace that I'll bury my wiper motor and do the delete kit. The fact remains that I had a working system before the tint, and after I don't (and a lost sale...so embarrassing). I do not want them to replace the $700 motor, or the $90 switch. Just make sure the wired harness is not totally effed, fixed, put a plug in it, give me an apology and send me on my way. What happened to customer service?! Oh, wait...it's a war. My word vs. his "17 years in the business and nothings ever gone wrong". Crap happens I told him, I'm not made...just make it right is all. Also said it's a Porsche. Electrical stuff isn't fun with these and...well, crap happens. This time, you kinda made crap happen. lol!

Fun stuff! I won't even go into the shotty tint job complete with scratches and what not
Old 11-29-2011, 06:22 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Sounds like you are going to have to file a claim against the shop... those damage waivers are crap and will be well shredded by any competent attorney...
Old 11-29-2011, 06:23 PM
River
Racer

pics:

Old 12-04-2011, 09:08 PM
River
Racer

Update:

Okay, tint place has not called me back. While a lawyer would be the next move, it is not financially feasible at this time, I have done the Yelp thing and will do something on Youtube. NOT calling the customer back AND taking a phone call while you're talking with said customer about your work is unacceptable behavior.

Lesson learned: SCREW whatever you sign for waivers. Take it back asap and raise hell. *sigh*

Where I'm at:

I've chased the wire up to the harness and the damage is unbelievable. Some spots a little electrical tape will fix it, others heat shrink, others...I dunno. I just wanna kill.

The question is (for you Super Tech Rennlist types). Is there any simple way of fixing this without removing the dash to get to it? It's really peeving me off that I'll have to pull the dash out, without having the funds available to recover the damn thing. Irony. I thought about doing this over the summer, lol!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:04 AM
AScholtes
Pro

You dont need an attorney to file in small claims court. Its usually like $75-100 to file the claim. This will prompt on of two things... he will pay for it to get fixed, or you will get a judgment against them. File for the max damages, the judge will award what they see fit.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:56 AM
River
Racer

You're right, I forgot about that route from just traditional means.

The problem is: How do I prove what happened, happened?

My line of thinking (and a couple friends too) are simple. Not having the rear wiper motor wires connected, just free ballin' it back there, then I turn it on, then look in the mirror going, "huh?!" and poof. Smoke ensues at the rear wiper. Toasted the wires at the top, and then toasted the console switch, which, then grounded itself and on accidental depression (it was dark and I meant to hit the sun roof) smelled smoke, then quickly went away. Tint guy said it's not possible. Things happen from the battery forward.

Whatever. He thought black was the ground in the car. Shows what he knew. Pulled the relay board and everything is fine. Checked my grounds, everything is fine. I think that those wires in the back touched the metal housing and screwed up the console switch, which screwed up the ground wire, which screwed up the harness.

Proving it, what happned, and like he said, "I connected the wires, I haven't made a mistake in 17 years". My ****.

Hence, what are the thoughts on what happened here?
Old 12-06-2011, 01:04 AM
AScholtes
Pro

Its pretty obvious that something grounded. The biggest question for me would be, why didnt the fuse pop before toasting the wiring? I have no idea personally what could have caused the short as I have a factory rear wiper delete car. Could it just be coincidence that you had the rear glass tinted and then the wires shorted...certainly... but the circumstantial evidence point to failure on the shops part, and that is all that matters in civil court as you dont have to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.

My suggestion to you is to take it to a couple shops and have them quote the repair to troubleshoot and resolve the problem and then file a small claims suit.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:47 AM
River
Racer

What's weird is when my mechanic buddy and I pulled the box, the fuse DID blow. When? Who knows. That switch was toasted. I talked to the dealership about it for a bit. They did say, "Our ground wires get hot. REALLY hot. Even in the newer 996's". Which, is what I told the tint guy. When things go wrong with the electrical, or if you make a mistake, it is NOT a forgiving car.

Good call on circumstantial. Bottom line: I had no issues when I dropped car off, now I do. What's against me is the tint job was done in March. They quipped about it a bit. I told them about ALL those forms they made me sign, and I made peace with being screwed, but this is too far and too much. Still haven't called me back about it.

Not a happy camper. lol!

What's worse is it did give me a chance to figure out where a couple grounds are, how to fix the shifter and the weather has been warm enough to drive it and cold enough to really get the engine in that happy dense cold air place. *sigh* I just wanna drive! LOL!

Quick Reply: Rear Wiper Electrical Issue