Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up an '88, cranks but won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:24 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Picked up an '88, cranks but won't start...

Hi Guys,

Well my search for the S2 cab halted when I got a 911 (so I've been hanging out in that forum). However, I just picked up an '88 944 that I'm eager to get running. The only problem is that it won't start. It turns over/cranks but just doesn't start. Can anyone recommend what to check first, second, third, etc? Car is an auto. Any help is appreciated and I'm glad to join the group again.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:38 AM
will951
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it getting spark? Maybe the speed & reference sensors?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Yarf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clark's garage shop manual is a good source of information:
http://www.clarks-garage.com/
Old 01-03-2012, 10:23 AM
AScholtes
Pro

Start with the DME relay. Verify tach bounce when you turn the key on. Verify fuel is making it to the rail. Verify spark to the plugs..
Old 01-03-2012, 10:24 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by will951
Is it getting spark? Maybe the speed & reference sensors?
Sorry for the noob question, but can you tell me how to check for spark? Where are those sensors?

Originally Posted by Yarf
Clark's garage shop manual is a good source of information:
http://www.clarks-garage.com/
Thanks for the reminder about his site. I'll be sure to check it again.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:27 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AScholtes
Start with the DME relay. Verify tach bounce when you turn the key on. Verify fuel is making it to the rail. Verify spark to the plugs..
I'm starting to remember these things as members are recommending them (bouncing tach). I'll try to start it and see if the tach bounces.

How do I verify if fuel is making its way to the rail?

How can I verify if the plugs have spark?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Yarf
Racer

Fuel pressure test:
http://www.clarks-garage.com/pdf-manual/fuel-01.pdf
Old 01-03-2012, 10:50 AM
AScholtes
Pro

For spark, you can get a spark tester...
Amazon Amazon

or at the local parts store. Or you can pull a plug and ground it (lay the thread on the intake manifold) and watch for spark between the arc post and the electrode...
Old 01-03-2012, 11:57 AM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by veleno
Sorry for the noob question, but can you tell me how to check for spark?

YOU are much better off taking the car to a mechanic. No offense, but that's about as basic as adding air to tires.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:23 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ ehhhh, he's got to learn someday..

Try the suggestions above; and let us know the results.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:23 PM
David.N
Intermediate

YOU are much better off taking the car to a mechanic. No offense, but that's about as basic as adding air to tires.
Its really not, everyone has to learn. YOU have to stop posting unless you have a question or something to contribute.

My car is cranking but not starting either. What does the bouncing tach signify? cause mine doesnt bounce.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Fara
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-20610-In.../dp/B0002STSC6

or at the local parts store. Or you can pull a plug and ground it (lay the thread on the intake manifold) and watch for spark between the arc post and the electrode...
You can also test for spark using a timing light if you have one lying around.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:57 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pettybird
While I may not know how to check for spark (never had to do it in any of my current or prior cars) that doesn't mean I don't know anything about fixing cars, but thanks for your suggestion none the less.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-20610-In.../dp/B0002STSC6

I'm a fast learner and while I admit I still have to learn about these cars, I'm all about doing it yourself. Teach me once and I'll remember it forever. Thanks for that tip, I'll try it out and it will only cost me my time.

Originally Posted by David.N
Its really not, everyone has to learn. YOU have to stop posting unless you have a question or something to contribute.

My car is cranking but not starting either. What does the bouncing tach signify? cause mine doesnt bounce.
Hi Dave, I read your thread about your cars having similar problems. I'll let you know what I find out if I get it to start before you do. Good luck with solving your issues and I'll be sure to follow your thread as well.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:42 PM
David.N
Intermediate

Any progress veleno? My ignition wires broke So I ordered the lindsey racing ignition tune up Kit and hopefully that solves the problem on one of my 944's.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:59 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David.N
Any progress veleno? My ignition wires broke So I ordered the lindsey racing ignition tune up Kit and hopefully that solves the problem on one of my 944's.
Hi Dave,

Nothing new just yet. I put new plugs in while I was looking around the engine bay. I have to get a new battery and like you my ignition wires broke so I need to order those. Did you get the wires from Lindsey because they're cheaper than pelican? I'm thinking of getting the tune up kit from pelican as well as the speed/reference sensors and DME relay so I at least have those commonly replaced items on hand in case it's one of them but if Lindsey is cheaper then I'll go that route. So that's where I'm at. Hopefully the parts arrive by next weekend and I can update this thread.

In the meantime, I have some stuff that I hope someone can help me with. Please excuse the dirty engine bay, when all is said and done it'll be cleaned up!

1st, the following wires were cut (PO told me they were exposed so he cut them and didn't know where they went so he left it alone). Can someone tell me which wires goes where and what they're for? Can I simply get some say 12 or 14 gauge wire and reattach them?

2nd, do I (or should I) replace these things or are they ok to leave alone (at least cover with a shield so it doesn't get wet)?

pass. side

driv. side

3rd, does anything plug into this round plug (about center of picture) and what is it for? Or is it suppose to be like that?

4th, PO said he replaced these things (I forgot the name), can someone tell me what they are?

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by veleno; 01-08-2012 at 03:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Picked up an '88, cranks but won't start...