Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got rear ended in my beautiful 944, need your advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:26 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
...This is why it is good to explore collectors insurance through Haggertys. They insure replacement value, not Blue Book value which may be far lower.
I have Haggerys but it's not for everyone. You have to have a second insured car as a daily driver with another company. You also have to keep the car garaged when not in use or they will not cover roadside damage or theft. They also restricted the annual mileage I can do.

Good thing is you do get the full value of the amount you insure for and they will fight the other insurer to get a high value which means they don't pay out quite as much. One thing I heard though is if your at fault they have a habit of dropping you rather quickly.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:28 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

get a check, then make arrangements to buy it back cheap.

then find another car and use whateve parts you desire from the crash car, and sell the rest.

tons of work for which you'll never be compensated.

wait, you didn't have insurance ? hmmm.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:35 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
...wait, you didn't have insurance ? hmmm.
OP stated he had insurance with Geico, first post.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:43 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasSF
Thank you everyone. Yes, I forgot to mention that I was not injured at all, which is obviously the most important.

i read the word injured as INSURED. what i get for skimming. i'll go to my room now.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:26 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I dont have Hagertys or any collector car but everytime I read another 944 or 951 got rearended post I add to my already large regular policy on my 951. If somebody bangs mine they will fighting my insurance company for a while on this while I am out shopping. I absolutely hate these rear-enders.

Driving my 951 Sunday here I swear it is somehow a magnet for bad drivers, tailgaters, and dudes in Dodges who somehow many of them profile as some kind of " drive in your rear mirror with my Dodge " thing.

I have been told by Porsche IF the hatch area is messed up it is totaled.

Sorry man.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:48 AM
happyfelthappy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Looks like a total loss. I would take it to a local trusted auto body shop and have them write an estimate. This is your first line of defense. The other guys' insurance will want to payout as little as possible and if you already have an estimate, you can evaluate their estimate in comparison.
2. don't accept the check on the spot from the geico agent unless you don't want to be able to get a fair price.
3. Geico shouldn't be the one paying you, it should be the other guys' insurance anyway that way your insurance rates won't go up. Geico will probably evaluate based on vehicle condition, mileage, and local prices for used cars of similar mileage/condition.
4. I was hit on the rear right quarter panel a couple of months after buying my car. My insurance was offering very little and was going to total it. I waited to see if the other insurance company would pay. They paid and my car wasn't totaled. So I kept my clear title in CA.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A guy in my club had the same thing happen. He had the quarters pulled by a guy who knew what he was doing and the car looks great. I would make sure a good shop who knows what they are doing takes a look at it. The car looks gorgeous and I would fix it. If not, make it a track car and go have fun with it!
Old 01-31-2012, 02:14 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jfmitchell44
wow £13700 i guess 944's go for serious cash in america!! mine was £900. might have to start shipping them over at this rate.
It was a turbo with a fresh $10K power train rebuild/upgrade. I would not have gotten that much on the open market for my car. It would have cost me at least that much to buy a comparable car. That is what the OP should push for, the amount of money it would cost to buy a comparable car. Finding one as nice as his was could take some time and some money.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:53 PM
jfmitchell44
Advanced

@azbanks

i think i need to upgrade my policy now as its only covered for £2000.
Horrible luck for the OP but at the same time this thread is a wake up call for other owners with inadequate policies.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:26 PM
UltimatE157
Instructor

Originally Posted by azbanks
It was a turbo with a fresh $10K power train rebuild/upgrade. I would not have gotten that much on the open market for my car. It would have cost me at least that much to buy a comparable car. That is what the OP should push for, the amount of money it would cost to buy a comparable car. Finding one as nice as his was could take some time and some money.
That is how my insurance company handled my brother's accident. He lost his WRX around a corner and totaled it on a tree. They payed him what it would cost to buy a comparable car, so he ended up with a little more than what he had originally payed for it.

That's the way it should be done. Key word is comparable. In your case, claiming a very well maintained and great condition 944 should fetch a much higher price than someone who owned a high mileage, unkempt smoker's car.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:33 PM
reclaimer
7th Gear

Yeah, that car is totaled.
My 83 was rear ended Friday afternoon, same thing... doors no longer line up correctly, large dent appeared in front of rear wheels on each side, yada yada.
Adjuster called today and said they would give me 2100 dollars and I could keep the car... I'm thinking I'll just take it to the local frame shop and have it pulled, stick another bumper on it from my parts car and just drive the ugly thing like I stole it from now on.

Good luck
Old 01-31-2012, 08:31 PM
UltimatE157
Instructor

If the rear of the car is mashed enough to cause the doors to not line up, I wonder what the impact is to motor mounts, transmission mounts, suspension, etc. The torque tube is rigid mounted to both the engine and transmission, and the distance between the two has now shortened.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:48 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the loss, glad you're OK, hope that holds as whiplash takes a couple days to set in. I would never buy or repair a car in such a condition, total loss, never would want to see it again. Only way to fight the despair is to step up to a 951. In a year, you will remember the accident as the best thing that ever happened to you!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:47 PM
ThomasSF
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ronin-951
Only way to fight the despair is to step up to a 951. In a year, you will remember the accident as the best thing that ever happened to you!
Thank you everyone for your advice and encouragements. This is truly helpful.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:42 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Car looked great before the accident. Good luck with the insurance claim.

Quick Reply: Just got rear ended in my beautiful 944, need your advice.