Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! trying to remove the 4th bolt holding cross member to turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 09:42 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help! trying to remove the 4th bolt holding cross member to turbo

as the title says....

I've tried everything for 3 days, and now, it's completely striped.

I can't get grip on it anymore.

I tried cutting it with the skillsaw, but I can't get a longer metal blade than the one I have.

Does anybody have a suggestion? I'm losing my mind on this one, I even wonder if Porsche didn't actually weld the bold with the nut?

Should I cut the crossover pipe at the same spot that lindsey cut's it to do the 2 piece?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Do you mean the down pipe (that has 4 bolts) or the engine mount (that has 2 bolts).

What # is it in your avatar?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:28 AM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Van
Do you mean the down pipe (that has 4 bolts) or the engine mount (that has 2 bolts).

What # is it in your avatar?
Sorry, I meant to say the x-over pipe. The 4th bolt that is mounted to the welded nut of the x-over pipe.

Something I thought about was to grind the down pipe off, that will give me better access to that bolt. I purchased a 3" downpipe so no need for it.

If that still doesn't work, then at least I ll have access to grind off the bolt attaching the x-over pipe? Then this will give me access to grind the old k26-6 in two lol

this is a heck of a job. Been fighting with all the bolts for 3 days, and I didn't even started unmounting the bolts under the turbo.

Clark garage is saying sOmething about 4 bolts under... I can only see one?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

There are two bolts holding the turbo onto the engine mount. One is really long... you'll probably have to take off the steering shaft heat shield to get access.

For the cross over pipe, those can be a bitch - there's no doubt about that. Do you have access to a cutting torch? You should be able to burn the head off (or, worst case, the welded on nut).

I've found that a collection of box-end wrenches - that you don't mind cutting shorter - and universal sockets work best... You have the master cylinder heat shield off for maximum clearance, right?
Old 02-07-2012, 01:07 AM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Master shield is off. But I took it off after removing everything so far, I don't find this as help me at all.

As for the steering rack shield...
Is that the small flat one or is it the one wrapping the rack?
If it's the one wrapping, I only see one bolt, and I don't see how I can remove it with the turbo still in place, the bolt is on top of the shield.

You gave me a good idea. I don't have a cutting torch, put I could you my skill saw to get the welded nut off, I think there's enough space

Originally Posted by Van
There are two bolts holding the turbo onto the engine mount. One is really long... you'll probably have to take off the steering shaft heat shield to get access.

For the cross over pipe, those can be a bitch - there's no doubt about that. Do you have access to a cutting torch? You should be able to burn the head off (or, worst case, the welded on nut).

I've found that a collection of box-end wrenches - that you don't mind cutting shorter - and universal sockets work best... You have the master cylinder heat shield off for maximum clearance, right?
Old 02-07-2012, 01:17 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I am guessing the pipe for extra leverage didnt work out? Something i just thought of, you are putting our socket / wrench whatever on the right side? I mean you are turning the bolt head on the TURBO side of the flange and not the nut on the crossover side of the flange?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:11 AM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Yeah, yeah, doing it on the right side, thanks.

The pipe idea was good, accept it's too late, too much damage on the bolt, the socket just keeps slipping out.

I decided I'm gonna cut the down pipe in two, as close as possible to the turbo.

This should give me space to try getting that bolt out from the top.

If again, the bolt is too stipped, at least I'll have more space to cut the bolt out, without the downpipe in the way. I will be using my blackndecker skillsaw with a good metal blade to do this.

Originally Posted by uck
I am essing the pipe for extra leverage didnt work out? Something i just thought of, you are putting our socket / wrench whatever on the right side? I mean you are turning the bolt head on the TURBO side of the flange and not the nut on the crossover side of the flange?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:58 PM
nofalls
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just pulled my turbo on Sunday. Took yesterday off work to clean parts (joy).

That bolt was a b. Had to lay under the car and slowly work it out with a box end wrench. I made the mistake of taking it out last. The flange shifted and held onto the bolt. Should have taken it out first.

Best of luck! I'm counting my blessings, and bloody knuckels, that I did not run into this same problem!

Mark
Old 02-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

For anyone finding this thread in the future, I recommend breaking all bolts loose first, as opposed to just removing one at a time. This is also important on pressure plate bolts!
Old 02-07-2012, 05:05 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Thanks Van for the advice.

I'm gonna try one last time tonight, and spend more money on tools.

I'm gonna go to the store and get something similar to this http://blog.bt-andf.com/blog/stripped-bolt

If that doesn't work, then good bye downpipe (you will meet my friend Reciprocating Saw with a long metal blade).
Old 02-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

I've used ones like this in the past - and they work very well. Has the added advantage of being able to put a wrench on the socket.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:23 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Van
I've used ones like this in the past - and they work very well. Has the added advantage of being able to put a wrench on the socket.

cool! make my craftsman.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:28 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Its real tough to get a socket on that one. I used a ratcheting box wrench. a set of those are worth their weight in gold. (granted its too late now).
Old 02-07-2012, 09:26 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

i'm almost there, just need to go back to the hardware store to get new blades...
Old 02-07-2012, 09:58 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Talking

Originally Posted by eric951turbo
i'm almost there, just need to go back to the hardware store to get new blades...
Lol no comments.

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Help! trying to remove the 4th bolt holding cross member to turbo