Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lotus Seats Can It Be Done

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 01:05 AM
nasty9er
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lotus Seats Can It Be Done

i have bin looking for good seat but cant stand logos on the head rest or stupid high price for one seat

i stumbled upon alot of topic about miata guys using the seats out of Lotus Elise it looks like you can pic up a pair for around 700 bucks i would pay 400 a seat

i really like the looks of the seat plus they say it is super light and comfortable and some come with hand pump lumbar support

do you think they would fit in a 944? and what do you think they would look like?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:12 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All you need is the width, and sure, anything will fit. Just take your 944 slider rail and drill into it to line up with the seat...
Old 02-27-2012, 09:21 AM
nasty9er
Racer

i dont see y that matters if the seats are factory seats that come on sliders if you had short legs you would have the seat pulled away from the back wall of a cab

if you look into the seat it seem every miata guy under the sun (street and track) are using them and very happy with how they work
Old 02-27-2012, 12:28 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

good luck getting anyone above average size (6ft+ or 180lb+) into those seats...if you want some cool seats that we know fit and are lightweight, look for GT3 seats...
Old 02-27-2012, 12:47 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

no offense but those seats are all wrong for your car.... if you desire an aftermarket sports seat, i suggest something like these Sparco Milanos; i spend a lot of time in my car. so, whatever i'm driving, i decided my *** is going first class. expensive ? yes. but the leather on these seats is so durable, they'll be good to go for any car you drive during the next 40~60 years.

Attached Images  

Last edited by odurandina; 02-27-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:22 PM
hockeyhead019
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

odu what kind of seats are those?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:28 PM
nasty9er
Racer

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
good luck getting anyone above average size (6ft+ or 180lb+) into those seats...if you want some cool seats that we know fit and are lightweight, look for GT3 seats...
good thing i am 5'9'' and under 170lb and dont have fat freinds GT3 seats would be nice but a little to flashy and pricy for me

Odurandina this is not a daily driver for me and when i do drive it alot its short runs where i am in and out of the car every 30 mins or less, also i dont think those seats would look good with the wide body 944 but i think it would give a 924s a vintage look
Old 02-27-2012, 03:18 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by hockeyhead019

odu what kind of seats are those?

Sparco Milano Prestige. $3,330/pr...

http://www.customcarscentral.com/spr...all-makes.html

i run a lambskin (thicker/more durable) version of the Milanos, called Demons. $3,990/pr...

http://www.saferacer.com/sparco-demo...?productid=787

unfortunately, they're an investment. but driving with them is pretty spectacular.... you'll also need sparco/Porsche sliders and brackets which are two separate parts which run about $670 for a complete driver/passenger set but, (i took the Porsche/Recaro sliders and by removing then welding excess sheet metal and having four steel plates welded onto each set of sliders at a machine shop and then drilling holes), i ended up with the perfect fit and glide of the original Porsche/Recaro seats.

in my case the need was a little more extreme. i've made 9 long trips since thanksgiving. the seat helps a lot.

Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2012, 08:23 PM
nasty9er
Racer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOTUS-ELISE-...item3f14435003

where do you think i can find some specs on the stock lotus seat?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:51 PM
nasty9er
Racer

not stuck

i just have a vision in my head that i am trying to stay true to and big race seats just dont fit

thx for the input though
Old 02-28-2012, 01:14 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

the reasonably priced sparco milano cloth seats will fit your car just fine.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:48 AM
bad_monkey
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sparco milano's look really blobby and heavy IMHO (and I wouldn't pay that money) - so not a fan.

The OP asked about the Lotus seats, so here goes. Looks like Elise seats will fit, but you'll need to fab some brackets. Either side mounts via two bolts, so you could either make a fixed bracket or with a bit more effort weld side brackets to the top of some sliders for adjustable seats.

You can get a good look at what needs to be done, and some templates here: http://revlimiter.net/blog/2009/08/e...t-encore-post/

For my 0.02c I'd make fixed brackets for exactly the right position and avoid the complication of welding up sliders.

Good luck, and post your progress here if you do go ahead - I think these seats in a tan colour would look awesome.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:45 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robstah
Shawn (refresh951) has had success with some EVO seats. They look factory.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-the-year.html

Those lotus seats look thin and are probably designed around having a barrier behind the seat during impact. I would probably not recommend them.
Those are awesome!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:31 AM
nasty9er
Racer

Originally Posted by bad_monkey
The sparco milano's look really blobby and heavy IMHO (and I wouldn't pay that money) - so not a fan.

The OP asked about the Lotus seats, so here goes. Looks like Elise seats will fit, but you'll need to fab some brackets. Either side mounts via two bolts, so you could either make a fixed bracket or with a bit more effort weld side brackets to the top of some sliders for adjustable seats.

You can get a good look at what needs to be done, and some templates here: http://revlimiter.net/blog/2009/08/e...t-encore-post/

For my 0.02c I'd make fixed brackets for exactly the right position and avoid the complication of welding up sliders.

Good luck, and post your progress here if you do go ahead - I think these seats in a tan color would look awesome.
first i must find a set of these either off ebay or lotus/Miata forums then start playing with bracket fab after i got that work out i will play around with the slider idea

if any one know some one who runs a lotus at the track they might have a set just sitting around

there was a change in the seats starting in 05 when they went to probax covers and i think that would be the way to go
Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

the right move.... in fact the only move is to modify the existing sliders. i discovered that by stripping excess sheet metal and welding on 4 plates, each about the size of a credit card and drilling holes through them, i was able to convert the Recaro sliders to Sparco sliders easily. Recaro seats are very expensive... i like 993 and 996 sports seats, but when i discovered how much the dismantlers get for them ($6~8 k for seats in decent condition), i moved on... Sparco seats aren't uncomfortable (LOL) if you're a normal sized guy you go with the standard-type seat..... and if you're a big guy you get something like the Chronos style seat.

you have to have a seat that will move forward and aft. trying to live with anything else would be a royal pain in the ***. seats are an integral part of the car's safety system.... they work with the seatbelts restrain and properly present you to the airbag. they also function to give your torso support when either driving or crashing. my old seats were very comfortable, but heavy. the leather was all cracked on the driver's side. i was able to salvage the sliders for modding and i sold the passenger side seat cover on ebay for $150, and the motors for $120, so they're death was not in vain.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Lotus Seats Can It Be Done