Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Rotor, Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 01:20 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Time
And then the two caliper bolts were ultra-tight. Had to resort to the old jack-under-the-wrench technique.
A quality six-point socket on a 1/2"-drive breaker bar would be a much more appropriate tool. An open-end is likely to round off the bolt, then you'll really be screwed.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:34 AM
luftpirate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first I thought you guys were being a little harsh. By page 4 totally warranted.

If you can't afford to do brakes right you have no business owning a Porsche, let alone any vehicle.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:58 AM
944Time
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Ross
A quality six-point socket on a 1/2"-drive breaker bar would be a much more appropriate tool. An open-end is likely to round off the bolt, then you'll really be screwed.
The end on the bolt is the box end. 16-point. And I was concerned about rounding. But it wasn't rusted on, just tight.

Not enough clearance for the breaker bar with 6-point socket, although I did use a 6-point socket on a ratchet for removing it once loosened.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:09 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree I wouldn't put cheap parts on any car. cheap parts are almost always cheap because they are low quality. I bought cheapo tie rods from ebay and they were built really poor and the ball joints were movingn an out so I had to throw them out.

you don't have to get the most expensive parts but you should always go with oem quality parts?
Old 03-22-2012, 03:50 AM
944Time
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by luftpirate
If you can't afford to do brakes right you have no business owning a Porsche, let alone any vehicle.
Using Chinese Rotors = "not doing brakes right"? Let's leave that kind of bigotry where it belongs, on the 911 forum.

All kidding aside, Made in China doesn't automatically mean 'Junk' anymore. And apparently, most aftermarket brake rotors in the USA come from China. Mexico has some market share and of course Germany a little bit.

If you go to the Centric-brand website, they have some interesting whitepapers on brake subjects. Link

The rotors I got certainly look pretty. Beautiful machined finish with a nice cross-ground pattern. Like two sparkly jewels. If they work as good as they look then I'll be happy.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:33 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks don't mean anything.

i wouldn't say put race brakes on a street car, they require a certain amount of heat before they really work well, and you won't get that heat on the street.

not saying all chinese products suck, but for the most part, chinese automotive products suck. i look to spend 100-150 a corner for rotors and pads on my car when i do them. i usually end up with nice ceramic pads(which are nice with white wheels) and stoptech or k-sport rotors. they fit, they work better than stock, and they last. chinese rotors and pads will maybe get you 10k before the pads are shot and 1 maye 2 off ramp braking before the rotors are warped or cracked.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:44 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Using Chinese Rotors = "not doing brakes right"?

that's exactly right. the guy you quoted is spot on (as usual).... these junk chinese rotors you're getting ready to install have a far and wide reputation for failures. with brakes, you get exactly what you pay for (except in the case of PBR, as they're stuff is on the amazing end of the scale considering what you pay)... you seem to to think that all materials are alike. you'll find out the hard way when you have to scrap the junk and get something that actually works. but at least this thread serves the purpose of showing other nubies what not to do. lol.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:58 AM
luftpirate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using Chinese Rotors = "not doing brakes right"? Let's leave that kind of bigotry where it belongs, on the 911 forum.

All kidding aside, Made in China doesn't automatically mean 'Junk' anymore. And apparently, most aftermarket brake rotors in the USA come from China. Mexico has some market share and of course Germany a little bit.

If you go to the Centric-brand website, they have some interesting whitepapers on brake subjects. Link

The rotors I got certainly look pretty. Beautiful machined finish with a nice cross-ground pattern. Like two sparkly jewels. If they work as good as they look then I'll be happy.

Fact of the matter is there are no mandated standards on production in China, and the manufacturer isn't going to be liable when your rotor splits sending you into a guard rail or on-coming lane. So when you buy generic parts off Ebay, you are getting parts from the lowest bidder (i.e. who can make the product the cheapest cutting all corners possible.) NO-NAME means whoever is selling those parts doesn't have a reputation they care to stand by, so they aren't going to go out of their way to ensure quality standards. That means you are taking a big risk because there is zero accountability for anyone to provide you anything other than something that "looks pretty."

Sure China makes some great products, but honest companies who source to them care about their reputation and go out of their way to ensure standards are being met.

Counterfeit Rolex's look great also but they aren't going to send you into a guard rail.

Quick Reply: The Rotor, Cracked