Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to permanently seal rad drain plug?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:54 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

vancouver, Canada.

I had to take the rad out because the drain plug wouldn't come out. I broke the plug end and used tiny pliers to twist the rest out.

the threads still seem fine in the rad as a metal m10 x 1.5 bolt goes in.

I bought a metal bolt that fits and a plastic washer but I assume that without an o ring it will leak. i'm thinking of putting rtv sealant on both sides of the washer then hand tightening the bolt.

would a metal bolt be a bad idea? would it expand too much and break the plastic housing of the rad? also just hand tightening it i'm worried it might come loose. maybe I can put some silicone on the threads too but I don't want it coming off and clogging the rad.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:28 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

A friend's radiator drain plug broke and was repaired with a bolt and jb weld. It didn't blow out, but it always leaked a little bit. I made it a little better by taking out the bolt and wrapping it with teflon tape.

Teflon tape is the real trick to a non-leaking radiator drain plug. You can even take the o-ring off the bolt.

One time my own drain plug broke, so I just threw away the head, took out the broken stub, wrapped it in teflon, put it back in, and did 2 years of DD and 2 track days, no problem.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:22 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks, i'll try the teflon tape if it leaks in teh future.

I have already put the bolt it. I put rtv silicone on both sides of the washer on teh bolt and tightened it hand tight. I'm leaving it to dry overnight then installing the rad tomorrow. i was hoping the rtv on the washer will prevent it from leaking and keep the plug from coming loose.

will see what happens.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:29 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
you could try melting it together...lol

the drain plug plastic will soften if you stick a soldering iron in it - this is how you remove the threaded portion when the hex part breaks off. i'd imagine that not much more heat would start to goo the rad tank as well.
Almost this,

Hot glue (The high temp stuff.)

Metal bolt of correct size and pitch from Lowes. Get it hot with a little torch or lighter (Not super hot, but hot enough to keep the hot glue liquid for 30sec or so). Melt some hot glue all over it with a glue gun and thread it in the hole. If you get the correct glue stick, it will bond with the plastic of the radiator, and should effectively lock the threads of the bolt...

Just a thought.

Try this. Softening point is 195F, and its made for plastic.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:22 PM
ArcticSteve
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used standard clear silicone and still holding years later.

Quick Reply: how to permanently seal rad drain plug?