Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paint issue, need help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:50 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default paint issue, need help/advice

So i finally got around to painting a set of rims for my car. Phonedials, they're going black.

Using Duplicolor wheel paint from a rattle can.

The first three go perfectly, but the last one doesnt.

Using the same method as the others, while painting the final wheel the paint started to dry like sand paper. It felt rough and powdery after it dried. Wetsanded smooth, cleaned, and tried again with a fresh can of paint. Same results.

Only difference between painting this wheel and the other three is slightly warmer temps outside, but well within the specs on the paint lable.

Any ideas?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:53 PM
luftpirate
Pro

The paint is reacting with something already on the wheel? It may be an oddball wheel someone else repainted at some time? If so you might have to take it down further. Maybe you got a bad can of paint.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:06 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

It appeared all of them had been repainted at some point. But what could cause a reaction like that? And i tried two different cans from two different stores, thought it could be a bad batch.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wipe the offending wheel down with lacquer thinner until all the wrinkled paint is gone, then prep and respray.

If a "hotter" paint is sprayed over a previous paint, it will lift as you describe. Lacquer over enamel is an example, but it can happen with almost any, especially enamels without hardener or activator. Time between recoat can also be a problem, but I'm guessing the old paint has been on there a while.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:27 AM
flat12boxer
Racer

Yes lacquer thinner is your friend. My phone dials are powder coated but I have repainted my factory range rover wheels myself. Masked the lips, cleaned them and gave them a good wipe down with lacquer thinner (no sanding needed as PO only put 50k on them and always kept them clean) and then painted right over the centers, then used a sparkle finish clear on top. They still look great ten years later.

If they are coming out good like you say they should be fine as long as you clean them regularly. My Painted wheels do show stuck/embedded brake dust/pad/rotor particles more quickly than powder later ones though.

Search under posts I have made and you will see some shots of how my phone dials came out after powder coating.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Dry powdery feel after drying, and you say it was warmer out. Are you spraying it wet enough? I've used rattle can stuff out in the sun and in the shade, and I found you have to drastically reduce the tip speed and get it wetter, as it is likely drying too quickly...I'll bet the rims were getting pretty warm in the sun as well. Rattle can paints have very "fast" solvents in them, and the paint can actually dry before it hits the surface of what you want painted.
Try it again...not in the sun if possible.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:42 AM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have an air compressor? I have used Sherman Williams SherChem brand and it works great. It is very close to auto qaulity and much easier to use, but it needs to be sprayed with an air sprayer. The $20 cheap ones work great for the first time or two.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:47 AM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you Shake the Cans up for like 2 minutes... I'm sure you did this, but failure to do so can produce similar results.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:20 PM
carlege
Drifting

Same happened with me when i used duplicolor although ti was with the first wheel. i had to sand it down and start over with a different brand of wheel paint.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:08 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If these suggestions don't help, try a good quality primer?
Old 03-25-2012, 12:55 AM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tedro951
Wipe the offending wheel down with lacquer thinner until all the wrinkled paint is gone, then prep and respray.

If a "hotter" paint is sprayed over a previous paint, it will lift as you describe. Lacquer over enamel is an example, but it can happen with almost any, especially enamels without hardener or activator. Time between recoat can also be a problem, but I'm guessing the old paint has been on there a whie.
Originally Posted by flat12boxer
Yes lacquer thinner is your friend. My phone dials are powder coated but I have repainted my factory range rover wheels myself. Masked the lips, cleaned them and gave them a good wipe down with lacquer thinner (no sanding needed as PO only put 50k on them and always kept them clean) and then painted right over the centers, then used a sparkle finish clear on top. They still look great ten years later.

If they are coming out good like you say they should be fine as long as you clean them regularly. My Painted wheels do show stuck/embedded brake dust/pad/rotor particles more quickly than powder later ones though.

Search under posts I have made and you will see some shots of how my phone dials came out after powder coating.
I can try thinner. And powder coating would have been ideal, but more expensive.

Originally Posted by ZR8ED
Dry powdery feel after drying, and you say it was warmer out. Are you spraying it wet enough? I've used rattle can stuff out in the sun and in the shade, and I found you have to drastically reduce the tip speed and get it wetter, as it is likely drying too quickly...I'll bet the rims were getting pretty warm in the sun as well. Rattle can paints have very "fast" solvents in them, and the paint can actually dry before it hits the surface of what you want painted.
Try it again...not in the sun if possible.
Wheels were sprayed in the garage, which may have been a problem, warmer in there probably.

Originally Posted by rgs944
Do you have an air compressor? I have used Sherman Williams SherChem brand and it works great. It is very close to auto qaulity and much easier to use, but it needs to be sprayed with an air sprayer. The $20 cheap ones work great for the first time or two.
Wanted this to be simple, might try this on the next set. But I do have a compressor and a spray gun.

Originally Posted by pnbell
Make sure you Shake the Cans up for like 2 minutes... I'm sure you did this, but failure to do so can produce similar results.
Done

Originally Posted by carlege
Same happened with me when i used duplicolor although ti was with the first wheel. i had to sand it down and start over with a different brand of wheel paint.
Thought about this, butsince the first 3 were done, I didn't want to risk having a slightly different color wheel.

Originally Posted by azbanks
If these suggestions don't help, try a good quality primer?
Old 03-25-2012, 12:19 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Not trying to hijack, but what do you guys think is the best color to paint phone dials if you just want to sell them? I got these with some seats I bought and they're late offset so I have no use for them. There's no curb rash but they were not painted with much care at all

Last edited by dirtyTurbo; 10-06-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:47 PM
luftpirate
Pro

^^ Strip them completely with aircraft stripper or let them go as is.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:10 PM
john gill
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

APologies for posting off topic and Not trying to highjack the thread , but am captivated by warbirds , some information on the FW190 in your avatar please luftpirate,

You can send as a pm if you wish

THanks
Old 03-26-2012, 09:57 AM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rgs944
I am painting the Antera rims on my car now as well. I am using duplicolor Flash Red rattle can from Autozone. Still in the experimenting stages so will be following your thread. I did one of the rear wheels on Saturday will post a pic tonight if anyone cares. Even added a black stripe to it I ordered off of Ebay, black vinyl with ANTERA Racing in white I think it looks pretty good.

One item of note. My dumb a$$ did not think about using the electric torque wrench when I was putting it back on. Next steps....getting some touch up Flash Red and repair the two spots the wrench rubbed the paint off. Then find a thin wall 19mm socket, and wrapping the outside on the socket with moleskin.

rgs944..More info please on the Sherman Williams Sher Kem, maybe pics. Still toying with the idea of painting my car myself, and if its easier to use than auto, cheaper, and looks ok it sounds like just what I need. I put so many miles on my car I can't justify putting a high quality $2,000 paint job on it.

Michael

Quick Reply: paint issue, need help/advice