Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reference Speed Sensor Removal Gone Wrong

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Twigmaster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reference Speed Sensor Removal Gone Wrong

Hey everyone, So I just picked up an 87' 944 this last Monday. It ran great up until yesterday morning, turns out the reference speed sensor died. Upon removing it today I realized that I am pretty much screwed unless somebody has a better idea for removing the casing that is stuck in the holder :P.

Also, I soaked this thing in Aerokroil for a day or 2 so don't freak out. Ouh and sorry for the pictures, camera didn't want to focus.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:48 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not uncommon to have the reference sensor break off in the sensor bracket.

You can try for a couple of hours ( or days) to unbolt the sensor bracket from the engine.
The passenger side bolt usually comes out with a lot of work.

The drivers side bolt is next to impossible to get out. Some have removed the intake and failed.

Work on it for awhile.

Then I suggest you carefully break the sensor bracket in pieces and get a new bracket.

Here is one mans story (of many):

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...nsor-bolt.html

GL & welcome,
John
Old 03-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Twigmaster
Intermediate

Cool cool, thanks for the help. I have been looking around for diagrams online to find out how I could gain access to the ring gear from the top so I can set the 0.8mm gap, cant seem to find anything helpful though.

Also, tada? http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...8107496388rese
Old 03-25-2012, 05:06 PM
John_AZ
Rennlist Member

AH,

A very keen eye. The interchange sensors with the metal wrapped bottom, I consider the best. If you find all black plastic, they are slightly cheaper.

When you get everything apart, clean the FW flywheel sensor studs of oil and dirt.

I did notice on your first picture, if you look closely, you will notice that the washers behind the reference sensor bolts are different (thickness).

What this could mean is that someone, maybe recently, worked on the sensor bracket and got the bolts out. Maybe on a clutch job.

So...try very hard to get the 2 bolts out. Then get drastic.

Good luck.

John
Old 03-25-2012, 06:38 PM
luftpirate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you got the right size screw/bolt you could go down into the casing and then pull it out. If that didn't work maybe drill through the bottom of the casting and run a thick bolt/screw through it.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

How thick is that aluminum casing? This is probably a long shot but what about lightly threading it with a tap and screwing a bolt into it and pulling on that. I would assume it's to thin to do that though.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Twigmaster
Intermediate

Originally Posted by luftpirate
If you got the right size screw/bolt you could go down into the casing and then pull it out. If that didn't work maybe drill through the bottom of the casting and run a thick bolt/screw through it.
Originally Posted by Hollywood D
How thick is that aluminum casing? This is probably a long shot but what about lightly threading it with a tap and screwing a bolt into it and pulling on that. I would assume it's to thin to do that though.

It seems that it would be easier to just remove the sensor mount and work on it off the car. It would be alot less painful for your back at least lol
Old 03-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't recommend spending too much time trying to get those bolts out, the chisel trick will pay for itself in skin. Apply liberal anti-seize after to bolts, the sensors, etc. I used a rotary tool to sand out the corrosion from the bracket and it also had the effect of 'widening' it a bit, but the o-rings still grab good.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:57 AM
John_AZ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Twigmaster
tada et tu

Paragon carries a lot of parts for your car:
http://www.paragon-products.com/Pors...61.210.002.htm

GL
John
Old 03-27-2012, 01:02 AM
Twigmaster
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John_AZ
tada et tu

Paragon carries a lot of parts for your car:
http://www.paragon-products.com/Pors...61.210.002.htm

GL
John
Cool cool, So will the BMW sensor work? Or is the Porsche one the only choice? From pictures it seems that the only difference is the length of the cable.

BMW Bosch Number W0133-1613778
Porsche Bosch Number W0133-1603778

Numbers are pretty damn close lol
Old 03-27-2012, 01:09 AM
krazykarl
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

Spark plug or some sort of extractor like this might work.

http://www.irwin.com/tools/screw-bol...-522532-series

I bought a set to remove a spark plug that snapped and left the threaded part in the cylinder head, worked like a charm.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:12 AM
John_AZ
Rennlist Member

It will work. Just a longer wire per Paragon with identical connectors.

GL on the sensor bracket.

John
Old 03-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Twigmaster
Intermediate

So the barrel sure didn't want to come out with the rest of the sensor, nor any of the ways that I was trying to coax it out with... but oh boy! It sure wanted to go in even farther! Somebody.... Put a ****in bullet through my brain... Normally this wouldn't be such a big deal for me but atm this is my ONLY car... and I work 24 miles away at a job that makes me want to go postal...

Old 03-27-2012, 10:32 PM
krazykarl
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

Is the piece magnetic? If so, you might be able to take a wand and pull it up thru the hole. Otherwise you might be able to fish it out through the clutch inspection port.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Specialty long needle nose? I haven't had the pleasure of working through this problem before.

There are also those little picker tools (for PC), where, it looks like a pen, and you depress the plunger, and 3 little arms come out, and when released, close down. Imagine using this in reverse. Put it down the middle, depress plunger, and then draw it up to try and bring everything up.

Because I'm not so smart, what if you just jammed a dowel down there? Where does that go? clutch area? Will it just sit at the bottom? Could you intercept it from the clutch inspection hole?

Quick Reply: Reference Speed Sensor Removal Gone Wrong