Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-To Installing keyless entry and remote trunk release

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 01:16 AM
Squatting Ninja
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How-To Installing keyless entry and remote trunk release

Hey guys,

A how-to for installing keyless entry and trunk release for cars that already have central locking with the unit clipped onto the steering column.

The unit I installed was this:
http://www.rclick.co.uk/product_info...roducts_id=671

They do have the correct key blanks and logos.

Its actually pretty simple surprisingly. I also plugged in the turn signal flashes.

-----Keyless entry-----

Locate module that is attached to steering column
Unplug module and if your using cheater connectors, the entire thing wont take long at all to install. You could alternatively splice into the wires and solder them.

Pin 6 on the connector block is +12v (Red/white), Simple hook up the keyless control unit Red +12v to this wire, it is also fused so your safe

Pin 5 on the connector block is ground (Brown), Hook up the new units ground here. (Black wire from new unit)

Pin 9 on the connector block activates the locks (Brown/Red), connect your negative lock trigger here (White wire on the new unit)

Pin 7 on the connector block activates the unlocking circuit (Brown/white), connect your negative unlock trigger here. (White/black wire on the new unit)

You will also need to ground the yellow and yellow/black wire from the new unit. These are the negative pole grounds.

Your now done, give it a test and make sure it functions correctly and smile.

Remove any wires you do not plan to use from the connector block and the wires that do not apply to our cars to keep it neat. The wires that do not apply to our cars are the: Orange, Orange/Black, 2nd Red. If you push the terminal on the new units connector block in, the wire will slip right out.

Zip tie the new unit to the central locking unit and clip back in place, and tidy up all the wiring. If you plan to install the remote boot release, keep reading.

-----Remote boot release-----

This one is also pretty simple, pull the carpet and the switch out from the footwell. You will see there are 3 wires on the boot release, Blue, Red, White.

We will be using a standard relay for this, connect the boot release output wire (Red/Black) to Terminal 86 on the relay.

Terminal 85 on the relay goes to ground.

Terminal 30 on the relay connects to the blue wire on the back of the switch

Terminal 87 on the relay conencts to the red wire on the back of the switch

Route and tidy up all the wires and secure them making sure there are no points where rubbing will occur, job done

Note:
When the car is armed (if you have a factory alarm) and you hit the boot release button and open the boot, the alarm will go off. If you hold the unlock button on the remote for a few seconds, the alarm will de-activate and the boot will open similtaniously. Ive not found a way around this, obviously if the car is disarmed and you open the boot using the boot button on the remote, the alarm will no go off.

-----Turn Signal flashes-----

Again, pretty straight forward, on the new unit there are 2 brown wires, these are for the turn signal flashes. I chose to hook these up at the back of the hazard light switch.

Remove the end cap on the dashboard, you will find a screw holding in the panel there, remove that, remove the small air sensor vent by CAREFULLY turning it anti-clockwise, those it shouldnt be too stiff, those little slots in the vent will break easily! Remove the screw under there. There is a small covering plate, lift that up gently and remove the 2 screw underneath it. The whole panel should come out, there is a plastic tube on the panel where the temp sensor plate is, pull this off and remove the clock and cigarette lighter connections and you should have enough room to work.

Feed the 2 brown wires through to this location you can splice your wires into each side of the turn signals here. I have a memory blank on the wire colours so I will take the panel off again soon to make this complete or someone can feel free to jump in and give the colours

Installation is the reverse yada yada yada..

Job done, make sure everything is neat and conencted/functioning properly.

It may sound grueling but it shouldnt take more than 2-3 hours from start to finish if you take your time and it is definately more fun than messing around with keys!

If I have missed anything feel free to jump in, once it is complete ill put it in the how-to section and hopefully save you guys a bunch of time

The unit I purchased also had an auto window rollup output which I will be connecting to a rollup unit to close the windows and sunroof, I will be adding the how-to on that too here once I sort out a few kinks. Hopefully in the next day or so..

Enjoy all

Disclaimer: Some connections and wire colours will be verified shortly, once this is done I will post it in the how-to section as a complete guide.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:23 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Great write up. I am about to install a viper alarm and will be referring to this when I do
cheers
Cyberpunky

Last edited by Cyberpunky; 04-25-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:53 AM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That was great, I plan on doing the same thing soon. Thanks, and book marked.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A buddy of mine installed a Commando keyless entry system, http://www.commandoalarms.com/itm100033.htm into his car with very minimal effort. At $40 it's a bargain to say the least.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

I have a thread on keyless entry for early (non power lock) cars if anybody's interested...
Old 04-26-2012, 02:19 AM
Squatting Ninja
Advanced

Glad you all find it useful, ill make sure I keep writing details how-to's to help the community as much as I can Butters, it would be great if you post the thread in the how-to to help anyone who is looking to do the same easily find the thread.

Once i go through and confirm every wire colour/connection/pin I will also post this in the how-to as a complete guide. Ill get to confirming and posting everything once I can sort out the auto windows rollup and add that to the writeup, so if anyone can help me out with that, find my post and give it a shot

Cheers all!
Old 04-26-2012, 04:58 AM
Aussie944S
Instructor

Nice...... add to project list for when i get back
Old 04-26-2012, 11:50 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love how you can get the Porsche Logo. I would love to see a picture of the remote with the logo in it.
Thanks for the info..
Old 04-27-2012, 12:08 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Supposedly Dougs951 is doing this very modification this evening...
Old 04-27-2012, 01:07 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

My thread in case anybody's interested...

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...6-11-pics.html
Old 04-27-2012, 10:38 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Butters944
My thread in case anybody's interested...

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...6-11-pics.html
Seriously, no one is interested or else they would have said they were interested. Instead of installing keyless entry, you should have been scouting for paint shops to make your car one color again.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ramius665
Seriously, no one is interested or else they would have said they were interested. Instead of installing keyless entry, you should have been scouting for paint shops to make your car one color again.
Thanks for making me feel like crap...
Old 04-27-2012, 11:04 AM
kinda5150
Racer

Originally Posted by ramius665
who pissed in your wheaties?! i am interested in his write-up and glad he posted a link. granted, he should've put the link the first time he posted about it, but still...give the kid a break.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:26 AM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Butters944
Thanks for making me feel like crap...

Old 05-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Going to attempt this tonight...

Quick Reply: How-To Installing keyless entry and remote trunk release