Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get rid of the 944... or not? - what do you guys suggest?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 12:49 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get rid of the 944... or not? - what do you guys suggest?

Hey everyone, long time no see! Some of you may be familiar with my 944 - an early (83) going through the late interior conversion. I'm sorry I haven't updated my thread on here in such a long time, but I just haven't had time to even log on RL very often.

I've had to put the car on the back-burner due to work. I can't see myself having any time in the near future to finish working on it, and quite frankly, I'm sick of housing it in the workshop. It's just taking up space. At the same time, I love the car and have years of slow-moving work into it. I either want it gone, or I'm going to keep it forever and eventually have it complete.

So this is just a 'feeler' thread on what to do. What you guys may suggest I do with it. So, here I go.. on with some information...

I'll list a few things I feel need to be mentioned about the car off the top of my head:

The body:
-The body work is all complete - it just needs a paintjob. The car is straight and true. Not a dent or crease. I also deleted the rubber bumperettes up front, deleted the rear antennae, and made the nose panel removable. I also deleted that wretched center reflector and relocated the license plate properly. The rear bumper is missing - I never replaced it - the previous owner removed it for some reason and I never acquired it.

Engine:
Engine is currently out of the car. I cleaned it up but have not taken it apart. It runs just fine, I was just doing a beauty job. The motor mounts were shot, so those need to be replaced immediately before the engine can be set back into the car. Needs a new timing belt and all new accessory belts. Needs new water and oil pump. Needs rear main seal to go along with the new clutch job. The bracket for the Speed/Ref sensors is also broken, but can be easily replaced.

Exterior Parts:
-New Koni shocks up front, paint refinished on the rear Konis.From the M474 package.
-Torque tube resprayed silver
-Transmission resprayed silver
-new clutch disc
-refinished flywheel
-ceramic coated pressure plate (for looks and to keep rust away)
-complete late offset conversion. All aluminum parts sandblasted, refinished, and shot with automotive clearcoat to preserve the look.
-powdercoated silver metal flake 16" 928 wheels with Toyo Proxies

Interior Parts:
-Reupholstered front seats in champagne leather
-968 dashboard
-968 center console
-968 door panels
-968 rear seat and dual folding backrest
-late style climate control system and all parts. Early system deleted.
-Firewall modified to fit late climate control system

Everything else:
-Manual steering rack needs a new boot
-No gauges, I was going to do a custom job
-No carpet, I always meant to buy a new set. Never happened.
-I have every nut and bolt in ziplock bags labelled with where they came from and where they go. I tried to be as organized as possible.
-If I didn't mention other parts, because obviously I'm leaving off a million, those are either parts I haven't refinished, fixed, and are probably sitting in storage. I have most every part for this car except weather stripping.

My final thoughts:
I feel like this car should be parted out due to the amount of work that is left for it to be road worthy once again. If it were to be completed, it would probably be better off as an auto-x car. The major work left would be wiring and paint. Everything else is easy I would say.

What would you guys do? The finished parts I have are quite beautiful and are probably worth in pieces more than what I could get for the car as a whole.

I'm open to suggestions. Here's a gallery of photos to give you guys an idea of my project. Towards the end of the album is how the car currently sits. I don't have any pictures of the transmission painted or the clutch bellhousing, but I can do that tomorrow if anyone wonders how they look.

View the pictures here: http://gallery.me.com/california500#...hite&view=grid

Cheers!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:35 AM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep it. After all that other work you did you should finish it up and keep it.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:21 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunkerz
Keep it. After all that other work you did you should finish it up and keep it.
i agree. you are a long ways into an epic 944. consider the wiring issue an invite to drop in whatever engine you feel.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:46 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
i agree. you are a long ways into an epic 944. consider the wiring issue an invite to drop in whatever engine you feel.
+948
Old 05-12-2012, 09:59 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

You will regret getting rid of it. My secret on my 5 year TR6 rebuilt is to plan to do a small thing now and again just to keep the project going. That will prevent the negative thoughts of sale from popping up too much.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

When I got rid of a perpetual project car I was never going to finish I felt a great deal of relief. I was also pleased that the people who got the engine and chassis were excited to be moving forward. What really got me was that even if I finished it, I was not likely to want to drive that car much anymore. Not only because it was a restored car that might get damaged but because my interests had changed. Unless I'd won the lotto and could fix it up for my extensive car collection there was just no point.

-Joel.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all your input so far. I realize there may be a moment of grief, but I also understand what Joel is saying - which is the direction I'm most leaning.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:51 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcquito
The rear bumper is missing - I never replaced it - the previous owner removed it for some reason and I never acquired it.

The motor mounts were shot. Needs a new timing belt and all new accessory belts. Needs new water and oil pump. Needs rear main seal to go along with the new clutch job. The bracket for the Speed/Ref sensors is also broken, but can be easily replaced.

Everything else:
-Manual steering rack needs a new boot
-No gauges, I was going to do a custom job
-No carpet, I always meant to buy a new set. Never happened.
-I have every nut and bolt in ziplock bags labelled with where they came from and where they go. I tried to be as organized as possible.
-If I didn't mention other parts, because obviously I'm leaving off a million, those are either parts I haven't refinished, fixed, and are probably sitting in storage. I have most every part for this car except weather stripping.
If this is all it needs, I could get it done and running in 2-3 days...provided the parts were in your shop (or the car in my garage) waiting for me.

I have a 97k mile 951 oil pump I don't need, but this guy is selling a factory new oil pump for cheap (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...951-parts.html).
Old 05-12-2012, 11:34 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...I felt a great deal of relief.....
Yep, I let one of my projects go on craigslist a few weeks back. No regrets. When it stops being fun, I stop. Life is way too short....Bruce
Old 05-13-2012, 02:16 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a project motorcycle in my garage, completely apart and in boxes scattered all around, for over 10 years. At various times over the years I'd hit it and get part of it done. But I came to realize I probably didn't really want it. I decided it was worthless in pieces, so I hit it hard and finished it up (to a low standard, admittedly) and rode it a few times. Put it on Craigslist, sold it two days later. I didn't regret it for a minute. In fact, it made me realize a camp trailer I had wasn't worth keeping either, so I sold that, too. It's an incredible feeling to not have "stuff" taking up space, time, and money, if they aren't getting used.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Thanks for everyone's input/stories. I need to spend some special time with her to see if sparks fly once again...

Last edited by Marcquito; 05-14-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:50 AM
dontnow
Pro

Originally Posted by Marcquito
Thanks for everyone's input/stories. I need to spend some special time with her to see if sparks fly once again...
Best answer. This will tell you what to do.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

I spent a few hours with her yesterday and re-cleaned some of my restored parts. I think all hope is not lost... I've still got that lovin' feelin...
Old 05-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Quick Reply: Get rid of the 944... or not? - what do you guys suggest?