Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing an AutoMeter shift light/tach

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 01:27 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,620 Posts
Default Installing an AutoMeter shift light/tach

I'm looking to install an AutoMeter shift light/digital tach.

I want to install it above the vents but was wondering how to mount it and how to run the wires.

The bottom of the mount is slightly cupped as I think they want you to mount it on the steering column. Obviously that won't work. Is there metal or plastic beneath the vinyl dash coating? Can I just drill a couple of pilot holes and screw it down? I'm not looking to take the whole dash apart.

Also, where is there a clear path from the dash into the engine compartment to run the wire which needs to go to the coil? I can get power and ground inside the car.

Lastly, anyone know if you have to move the headlight motor to get at the coil? I tried moving the plastic cap in the coil and I can't get it off. Thinking about just undoing the three bolts holding on the headlight motor.

I like to do my own installs and repairs but since I'm self taught it is hard to rely on books for stuff like this. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images    
Old 07-01-2012, 09:44 PM
n_hall
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that platsic cover should snap off. keep on trying.

you can cut a small X in the rubber seal at the firewall that your dme wiring is going through.
tape your gauge wiring to a wire (i used a wire hanger) and feed it through.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plastic cap will come off, they are pretty well formed.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:31 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I wouldn't mount it above the vents. You want it somewhere in your peripheral vision when looking ahead. You obviously don't want it in your way, but you want to see it.

Above the vents, you can't see it. If I was relying on it to shift, I wouldn't mount it there. That's me.

As for paths into the engine bay, you can feed it through one of the many grommets that come in above the pedals. On the passenger side, there isn't much. There's the one for the windshield antenna. There may be some others but I don't recall. The one for the cruise control comes through above the pedals. Most everything comes through on that side, except for the main harness. I would run it through on the driver's side.

Take care!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:58 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I found that over the vents was somehow more my peripheral view than by my A pillar. I took the vents out and will drill a couple of holes and run the wire down and into the engine compartment.

Thanks for the advice on where to pop the wire through - I used an electricians snake to help get past the grommet and run the wire.

Quick Reply: Installing an AutoMeter shift light/tach