Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting cold feet, would appreciate some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 03:14 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any car from PA needs to be checked thoroughly underneath, that is home to more rust buckets than anywhere else except maybe OH. Notice he has no undercarriage pics.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:56 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi auryn0151, sorry to hear you're having cold feet...but that's a normal part of the process I still get them sometimes a year after I bought my car!

Aside from the unnamed gasket (find out what that is and post it) All the items listed from your PPI are typical - expect things of that kind to be fairly ongoing. However with the kind of experience you mentioned you had before, most these jobs would be no trouble. I believe the valve cover on the 16v just lifts off like any normal car, unlike the 8v ones where you have to remove the timing belt (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

I get the feeling you are ok with things like that, but you're worried about the things that will leave you stranded and cost big bucks without warning...honestly there are not that many things like that on a well maintained 944. Replace all the coolant hoses for around $100, carry a spare $20 DME relay, and make sure the timing belt is taken care of...really, you will probably be fine.

There is always a risk of something big and hidden which could bite you, like a transaxle problem or something, but these things are comparatively rare, and generally your impression of the previous owner should give you a hint as to how the car was treated. Honestly, you could buy a newer car with lower mileage and you would still not be free from this risk.

In short, a 944 is more likely to slowly nickle-and-dime you to death than to explode without warning and leave you stranded
Old 07-22-2012, 05:40 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

unless of course, you forget to change out the fuel lines.

after 25 years, they're just about the worst thing in the cars....

Old 07-23-2012, 12:56 AM
dpsatx
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 87 944S used in 1994 payed about 13K for it, have put a clutch, flywheel and just finished putting timing, balance belts and all new rollers on it. It has never left me stranded, 6800 seems a little high to me but how bad do you want a classic vintage car. I love mine, be prepard for high cost of parts if your able to work on it yourself. A dealer will really stick it to you. I have about 132000 on mine bought it with 72000 miles on it. It is a very complicated machine with some things on it that other cars don't have.
Hope this helps you out some, Good Luck
Regards
Don
Old 07-23-2012, 01:21 AM
cali4sun
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking car it's a bit high on price. However ext/int looks pretty good. I'm actually surprised interior looks that good! Just because the person's listed it at that price does not mean that's what he will take. I would offer less.

Best of luck.

Charles

'80 911SC Targa (new to me)
'89 928S4 GP White/Black lsd, rmb
'76 912E Silver/Black
Old 07-23-2012, 09:50 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by dpsatx

6800 seems a little high to me but how bad do you want a classic vintage car.

Originally Posted by cali4sun

Nice looking car it's a bit high on price.

please.

in order to prevent something akin to a sucker is born every day scene from happening here, we're going to have avoid understating in an attempt to bring the crazy seller back to earth. that's not going to be easy due to the fact that he's a total assbag.... any realistic offer is going to be considered an insult. the seller has shown his i'm going to be impossible to deal with hand already with his opening price..... i hope the buyer stops by in his 220/240 hp S2 or 968 in the very near future (or later), since said assbag is never going to sell this car anyway, and tell him how little he paid for it.

Last edited by odurandina; 07-23-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-23-2012, 10:23 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by odurandina
crazy seller

Are you seriously THAT out of touch?

If the car in question were an early N/A, behind on ALL it maintenance, and ratted out I could understand the comments you have made, but honestly you are off your rocker....

944S, apears to have been well kept (I have NOT seen it in person, although would be happy to take a look at it for the OP, for an independant Daily User of a 944 viewpoint)...141K young, with what in reality is a SHORT list of defects found durring a PPI? $6700 is a DECENT price point (Geico paid out over 7K for my 88 N/A when I wrapped it around a deer last year... I replaced sheet metal and still drive the car every day!)...

I would offer the seller $4000 as is, or $5K up to snuff... and be prepared to have seller bring you back closer to 6K up to snuff.... keep in mind, you are trusting the seller to execute the required maintenance to bring it to satisfactory condition as a condition of the sale... a seller of questionable scruples might cheap out on the parts or maintenance to get the sale, and tell you to take a walk if there were any issues. IMHO you would be better off negotiating DOWN the purchase price, and paying for the maintenance yourself... but that is just me, and I do all my own wrenching! the list you posted is a couple hundred in parts tops... advantage of you funding the work is YOU get to choose WHO installs WHAT on YOUR car, not someone else being trusted to make those decissions for you...

That having been said, you CAN find a nice example, for less money, if you are willing to wait, and jump on it when it becomes available... but you WILL miss out unless you are sitting poised to pull the trigger right away!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:31 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by auryn0151
So, I have spent the last few weeks tracking down some 944s and checking them out. I found a 1987 944S that I saw and drove. (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...124422367.html for those interested).

I had the PPI done today by a mechanic who is familiar with the cars. He said that 2 gaskets (one being the valve cover gasket iirc), rear shocks, power steering hose and resovoir needed replacement. Otherwise there were minor things like wire covers beginning to disintegrate that he suggested be replaced in the not to distant future. The owner has agreed to have these major items fixed at his cost if we agree on a price for the car before the work is performed.

As the title says, I'm just concerned about the reliability of a car with 141k miles on it. I know that good maintenance history is a better indicator than mileage, but I just can't shake the worry that the first time I drive the car from DC to NY I'm going to be stuck on the side of the road.

So what do you all think? Is the 944, with all major parts in good working order a more reliable car than I'm giving it credit for, or are my concerns founded?
To directly adress your concerns over a 944 as a daily driver...

I do all my own maintenance (except when friends help), and have acrued almost 50K miles in the last year alone on my 88 N/A.... almost 100K miles since I bought her 5 years ago, and am now less than 1000 miles from 150K on the clock.

With all the recurring maintnance taken care of, and a bit of proactive leg work... these cars are a blast to drive for as many miles you want to!

2 locals recently completed a 5000 mile road trip to the Porsche Parade in a 951 and a 968.... and other than a stripped odometer gear and a leaking AC compressor (was leaking LONG before the trip started) they didn't miss a beat with either car!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:32 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The question was raised once before and I think it's a reasonable question. Where's the original steering wheel and why was it replaced? I don't think the 944 S originally had a 3 spoke wheel. Old 911s and the 924 did as I recall.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:37 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by catamount
The question was raised once before and I think it's a reasonable question. Where's the original steering wheel and why was it replaced? I don't think the 944 S originally had a 3 spoke wheel. Old 911s and the 924 did as I recall.
i know several people who preffer the older 3 spoke wheel to the later 4 spoke "sport" wheel.... (not to mention the 4 spoke Airbag wheel... which unless optioned would NOT have come on a 87S model)

I have replace the steering wheel in both my 944s more than once...

OP.. forgot to add, keep in mind at any price point, the car you provided a link to will NEVER be a councourse contender... the stone guards are off a 911, the steering wheel is incorrect to the car, the seats have been recovered, the "deviated" piping on the seats is NOT origional, and on and on and on...
Old 07-26-2012, 12:16 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Default surely.....

18~20 mph faster must count for something around here....

just gonna say it — if an honest comparison be made,

it's hard to justify the purchase of any 944 or 944 S when the seller is high.

why? one very simple reason;

because, (beginning with the 217 hp S2s and ending with the 968s),

by comparison, you're stealing a far-better 944 for the money;

once again; it's a nice car. and nobody has said otherwise...

but despite this fact....

i stated it isn't worth more than $3,500~$3,600. you (JKW) say $4,000.

seems like we're not very far apart. the seller want's almost 7 thousand dollars. wtf ?

if you buy it for that price, you can still easily spend close to $8~10 k in service, minor updates, and repairs in the first 2~3 years of ownership and end up selling for much less than you originally paid. this, is what we call an upside down car.

don't feel bad. you can buy a 928-S4, and find out what it's like to get really f_cked.

you can spend $17 k on a used 911 from the same era... drive it. service it, etc,

and in the end, you'd probably do fine on $$$ in/out.

so, i would tend to put the 944 just about in the middle.

you can buy one. just don't over-pay.

i'm not at all knowledgable about the current ricer class.... but, i'll try using a couple of Subaru's to create a fictional, hypothetical cost/comparison situation... you might see something quite curious with the Subaru metaphor.

say i go out shopping for WRX's.... (ten years from now).....

might check out WRX A; a 2005 with 220 hp and a top speed of 143 mph.

and attempt to compare it to WRX B, a 305 hp 2011 model with a top speed of 158 mph....

gonna stop me right there and say, "oh i like that fast car ! that's flirting near the top of the BMW 3-series land (non-M) !!" i'd be looking very closely at both original stickers, option packages, etc, but i'd sure be doing some fact checking to see if i could swing the faster car....

i'm buying a unibody with an engine, transmission four wheels and brakes, seats, and a stereo, etc... all included..... comparing these two cars, i'm now looking at some consideable upgrades, 10 year paint vs 17 year old paint, bigger vs smaller engine, 6-speed vs 5 speed, better brakes, wheels, Z-rated tires, leather sports seats, etc..."

sound familiar ?

i'm buying all this parts/stuff anyway. why not just buy the right stuff right off ?

no brainer. what's it gonna cost... oh! done...

see where i'm going ?

the automobile magazines that go on endlessly about this ****.

people buy faster, better equipped cars and spend [B]five, ten, fifteen thousand dollars more for it every day.... people look at Audi TT's and stroll over to the next door and see the Boxsters for just a few thousand dollars more.... then they fall in love with the Caymans.... go home.... come back 6 months later and now, they're driving a hard-top Porsche... fuddy-duddy people look at Lexus,' see all those dull shades of grey and pay a visit to the BMW guys.... and drive off with a nice Beemer in another dull shade of grey... and so on.

who among us wouldn't turn our backs on that crappy old 2005 WRX in a second ?

shiny nice seats and decent paint or not ?

a few years ago the 968s were very expensive. decent examples were well over $20 k.

then the 2008 crash happened, and the holdout sellers disappeared...

many of you will say it's not really necessary, desirable or fair to compare an '80s 944 to a 90s 968.

in the case of the car from the op/(price)—yes, such a comparison is fair.

i've owned an '87 944 S and a 968. driven them about 180 k miles....

i'm not the only Rennlister who's commented openly about the front end of the 944 getting light and going mushy at 125~140 mph.... my 944 felt like it could go airborne whenever i got to about 130 mph.... and you can't really make the argument that this was due to a tired, beat up suspension.... my car was only 3 years old w/ under 20 k miles - barely broken in.... in my opinion, there is an unimaginably profound difference between the performance and handling of both cars at high speeds... i've had my 968 at 150~160 mph for several minutes in a strech.... and i can tell you the 968 feels completely planted to the tarmac.... i bet these cars can go 190 and still feel good.... they should. the 968 was designed and wind-tunnel tested....

i can take normal turns on the interstate at 140 mph with hardly a worry with just the stock suspension and cheap 18" dunlops.... this shouldn't come as much surprise... the 968 was tied with the Ferrari F-50 on the skidpad making them the two best handling cars in 1993. to be fair, the 944 would be right there—but not up over 125 mph.

power;

the Variocam is actually, a mild racing engine....

despite what some of the skeptics say, the stock 968 exhaust is extremely restrictive. (see this page for the obstruction in the resonator https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...8-exhaust.html). this obstruction was a last-minute add on to the US cars to decrease exhaust sound levels.... and limits top speed to the mid-150s. but, once you eliminate the stock resonator and muffler, the potential of the variocam is reached.... significantly increased power has been confirmed on street and track cars—over and over. cleaning up the exhaust flow and running the proper tires allows the variocam to reach the limiter @ about 162 mph.

by comparison, i've never heard of a 944 S going much over 140.... except of course, with the help of those horrible speedometers (off by 8~10 mph at speed).

this situation puts the 968 in a higher class than the old 944 S.

don't feel bad. the 993 is in a higher class than the 930. the cars get better.

but the fun doesn't stop there.....

the 968 was one of the first cars in the world to come with a 6-speed transmission. good thing, because even with having 80~90 more horsepower than the 944, it's still a 4 cylinder car. you need those gears to keep the engine near peak power.

the 968 came with 17" cup wheels—just like the ones introduced on the legendary 959 !!

the 968 came with bigger brakes. and M030 track day suspension options.

let's be honest; the rear spoilers and mirrors on the 944 are pretty fugly.

they're often ****canned for the gorgeous, 968 spoilers and teardrop-shaped, electronic-adjustable mirrors.

unfortunately, this upgrade isn't cheap.

the 968 came with a gorgeous headliner and they look like they can go on looking gorgeous for a very long time. most of the 944 headliners look pretty much like they were designed; the automotive equivalent of horse manure. by contrast, no 968 in recorded history has ever required a new headliner.

the 968 also had heated seats, all-leather and CD/hi-fi/amplifier options.

on my 944 S, the AC wasn't as ridiculous as the old 944, but it was still, fairly weak.

i won't get into the electrical problems, cruddy H20 pumps, dme and fan relays that have endlessly dogged the 944s for decades... that would be intolerably cruel.

besides, we have at least 3 or 4 threads on this and the next page (EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR) certifying the insanity of the 944 electrical system. we don't almost ever have these types of serious electrical-related issues being reported on the 968 forum (maybe 3 or 4 threads in the past 3, 4 years).

there is a reason for this.... the 968 is in the clear with respect to electrical gremlins.

and no, if it was going to happen, we would have seen them by now.

it would be unfair not to inform potential 944 buyers—that changing out the clutch on the '44 is an abject nightmare. about 8~10 hour ++ job (at the whim of the villain turning the wrench).... even longer for mere mortals... be careful.

have a clutch done, and you can subtract the number of vacations you and your wife will be taking this year by one. count the number of 944s that have gone to the junkyard due to a broken clutch, after nickel and diming their owners half to death.

i wouldn't even dare ask how many original 944s are still on the road due to these kinds of problems.

used car dealers get the cars with these issues, fix them and find no buyers.

i've never heard of anything like this happening to a 968. and you won't likely ever will.....

changing out a clutch takes about 2 hours.

the car in question advertised for $6,700...

at that price, if something big goes wrong, you're dead.

so, do you all remember that beautiful 968 that i showed earlier in the thread with 40 thousand fewer miles ?

sold for just north of 3 thousand dollars more than the car listed in the op.

the original sticker on this same 968 was about $53 k (Cabriolet) vs $31~32 K for the '87 S of the op....

53 thousand dollar, significantly-superior Cab vs 32 thousand dollar 944.

the slower, dated car is selling @ close to 25% of the original sticker.

that very beautiful 968, with vastly superior performance upgrades just sold for 18 % of the original sticker.

many 968s with more than 100 k miles sell well past 30% original sticker on Auto Trader and Cars.

little wonder. so stick with Ebay.

they used to be priced almost the same across all three auction-houses.

but, 968s have been going up steadily in value for the past 3 years.

my outspoken essay about collectable Porsches including their 4 cylinders;

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...e-968-a-6.html

sorry JKW,

faster is better.

Last edited by odurandina; 07-26-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:09 AM
elzergone
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Odurandina, believe it or not, some people prefer 944s, look for 944s, and are not concerned about the myriad of issues that seem to bother you so much.

Some of us like the cars for what they are. You are thinking of things purely in numbers and it gets a bit tiring. Yes, the price is a bit high, but its not as absurd as you make it out to be. Lets not forget that you are in the process of changing nearly everything about your car, the 968 you are selling to fervently to the OP. We get it, its never enough for you. Calm down a bit
Old 07-26-2012, 03:05 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Default just click....

nobody's saying you can't (cued video)......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAS4F...ailpage#t=436s

i was stating my reasons to the op why i feel it's unwise to deal with that seller or over-pay.

not crazy about the mirrors. but, on the whole, the cars look fine.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:42 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by odurandina
i was stating my reasons to the op why i feel it's unwise to deal with that seller or over-pay.
This seller and this particular car not withstanding. It appears that location location location is a key factor here. Your probably right...for your geographical area. A $4k 944 is most likely a basket case requiring at least that much again to catch up on maintance and has over 200,000 kms....in my neck of the woods. An "S"? forget it...a 68? forget it too. There are two basket cases in my area..one for 5K, and one for 9K..the 9K one is listed as a "decent 20 footer" the 5K car is listed as a restoration project/parts car. The rest for sale are 15-19K, and are in good shape.
This forum brings in people from all over the world, so generalizing on pricing is a moot point depending on who joins in on the topic...Just ask the Aussies.

To the OP. If you are nervous, take a step back and think about it some more, very few people are buying these things because they are desperate to get to work with it. Find the best example you can afford unless you like jackstand projects.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

This will be a restate of some things that were said earlier, but I'll give you this bit of advice anyway:

I owned a 1986 944 from '97 through '07. Took it from 113K miles to 260K miles. I now own a 1987 924S, which I purchased in March '11 with 52K miles; it now has 57K miles.

If you buy one of these cars and drive it, no matter how good the car is to start with, and no matter what work is done up front, at some point the car will need some work. It could be a power steering hose, the AC, an oil leak, something electrical, etc. At some point you will need the timing belts checked/replaced, the motor mounts will go bad, etc.

If you can do the work yourself, then costs will not be a big deal. A willingness to try things out in my own garage, the ability to read, and help from Rennlisters like JKW and others have saved me tons of $$$. You can find parts for decent prices if you look around.

If you're not willing/able to do the work yourself, and you don't know a mechanic who will give you a steep discount, then be prepared to spend money! Shops will charge you lots of $$$ to work on a 924/944/968.

I am now capable of changing timing belts/water pump/front seals myself for appx. $600 in parts and a weekend of work in the garage. Shops in my neck of the woods want upward of $2,500 for that.

Quick Reply: Getting cold feet, would appreciate some advice.